Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » General Trek » What if... (Page 2)

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   
Author Topic: What if...
Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"Herbert?" Like, right on, daddy-o! Don't let the squares tell you how to do your thang, you dig?

On the whole I agree with Liam's analysis. You just have to let the little things go - after all, that what we're told to do with all Enterprise's little things. . . Just look at TNG and Data's "class of '78" line!

--------------------
Never mind the Phlox - Here's the Phase Pistols

capped
I WAS IN THE FUTURE, IT WAS TOO LATE TO RSVP
Member # 709

- posted      Profile for capped     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I reach you.. i reach

Little fun continuity things like that are fun to explain later anyway.
I read Michael Jan Friedman's 'My Brother's Keeper' series and it had when Jim Kirk and Gary Mitchell were getting acquainted

Gary: 'Do you play Raquetball?'
James Kirk:'Raquetball is my middle name!'

--------------------
"Are you worried that your thoughts are not quite.. clear?"

Veers
You first
Member # 661

- posted      Profile for Veers         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey- what if they re-did "The Enemy Within" with digital effects? Two Kirks!
(One thing, though--that scene where the double walks out of the transporter and looks all evil is classic!)
I agree with most people's opinions, that remaking TOS would be a mistake. Leave it as it is. Not that I wouldn't mind a few updates, though.

--------------------
Meh

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"Hey- what if they re-did "The Enemy Within" with digital effects? Two Kirks!"

Er, I don't know what version you were watching, but on the standard BBC 2 repeats shown here, we had two Kirks already.

(And, if you want an example of ahead of the time SFXs that never get any credit, look at that scene in "What Are Little Girls Made Of?" where the two Kirks talk at the dinner table. It's seamless, and it all the more impressive for being from 1966)

(Oh, and I've never got that episode title. What have sugar, spice, and everything nice got to do with robot doubles wanting to be evil?)

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

Veers
You first
Member # 661

Sorry. I didn't make that very clear. I meant we'd have two digital, PERFECT Kirks, as in "Back to the Future II" special effects.

--------------------
Meh

capped
Member # 709

- posted      Profile for capped     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Um.. still not getting it? The Kirk's were either split screened talking to each other or set up talking to each other by cutting the shot between them. The rest of the time there was a stand in facing away from the camera (like when Kirk held himself in the transporter beam). What digital effect could make that more smooth??
(short of remastering the film grain and camera cuts so they arent that apparent)
I dont believe there are any existing shots that could be composited into a believable shot of the two Kirks interacting, since the original was shot specifically to avoid having to show that.

Do you want to conjure up new footage of the back of Shatner's head and paste it in over the stand in's? He doesnt look the same now?

The episode was shot masterfully, especially since it was their first experience with doubling an actor (as they would do later in 'WALGMO?' and 'I, Mudd' to name a few.) I dont understand what you think could be done

--------------------

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I thought the "What Are Little Girls Made Of" stuff was supposed to be a reference to that foxy android, and by extension all such androids, foxy or otherwise.
Veers
You first
Member # 661

Alright, alright, you win. It was just a stupid comment. Disregard it.

--------------------
Meh

Mikey T
Driven
Member # 144

- posted      Profile for Mikey T     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Why bother do TOS over if you can continue on where TOS left off? That would be much nicer... but the cast is old...
PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah, that would be cool. Something that shows what happened to the origina characters after the series. And perhaps they could do it in the form of motion pictures too. The SFX would be better than the TV show was too.

Sol: The thing there is that there was only one girl android, and she wasn't even really important. There were 4 male androids (Kirby, Ruk, Brown (I think his name was), and Kirk). So either the boys were made out of nice stuff, or the producers were scared by puppy dogs tails.

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

Raw Cadet
Member # 725

- posted      Profile for Raw Cadet     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"Motion pictures," in my opinon, whether on the small screen or the big screen, is an artform, at least at its best. Certainly "Star Trek" is not always a "work of art," but the best episodes are masterpieces of television. Thus, while I think it might be acceptable to go as far as redoing the special effects, reshooting the series would be tantamount to repainting masterpieces that are in artistic styles that have fallen out of favor in a more modern flavor.

[ November 01, 2001: Message edited by: Raw Cadet ]

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That's one of the dumbest analogies I've heard in recent memory.

In Trek, the "art" is the stories. By current standards, the visual aspects of the show are mediocre. Changing those wouldn't detract from the "art".

In a painting, the art is the painting itself. Change it, and you've eliminated the original art. That would be akin to rewriting Trek's stories, and then refilming them.

Remaking the shows w/ the exact same stories is more like taking a painting and putting it in a new frame. Surely that doesn't ruin the art?

capped
Member # 709

I like the look of TOS a lot more than i like some of the episodes.. maybe im just a retro-pop kinda guy, but i could stand to watch 'Spocks Brain' with the sound off because im just in it for the funny costumes.
And if you get a great Balance of terror or Journey to Babel out of it, than thats great too.. but I think that Trek storytelling has always been hit or miss, while the look is what keeps me coming back

--------------------

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh, of course the visual element is important, Tim. If it wasn't, we'd just read the novels and be done with it. You can't seperate a visual/audio piece into its component parts if it was at all well done.
Harry
Stormwind City Guard
Member # 265

- posted      Profile for Harry     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
They could of course do a remake of the Animated Series .

--------------------
Titan Fleet Yards | Memory Alpha

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps