Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » General Trek » Went to a Convention today... (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Went to a Convention today...
The Mighty Monkey of Mim
SUPPOSED TO HAVE ICE POWERS!!
Member # 646

- posted      Profile for The Mighty Monkey of Mim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Man, I have just had the best friggin' day!

I went to a convention in San Jose (Calif.) and boy was it great. The last time I went to one was way back in '91. This was awesome.

Speakers included Gates McFadden, Majel Roddenberry, and Dominic Keating. (Lt. Reed of Enterprise.) Signing autographs were Grace Lee Whitney, Joanne Linville, (the Romulan Commander from TOS "The Enterprise Incident") France Nuyen, (Elaan from TOS "Elaan of Troiyus") Celeste Yarnall, (Yeoman Martha Landon, Chekov's squeeze from TOS "The Apple") Barbara Luna, (Marlena Moreau from TOS "Mirror Mirror") and Carol Seymour. (Subcommander Taris in TNG "Contagion," Commander Toreth in TNG "Face of the Enemy," Mirasta Yale in TNG "First Contact," and the holo-novel character Mrs. Templeton in VGR "Cathexis" and "Persistence of Vision.") The event was hosted by Richard Arnold, one of the senior research consultants during the run of TNG.

Wow!

I shook hands and took photos with Majel Roddenberry, Grace Lee Whitney, (from whom I also got an autographed picture which I will scan tomorrow and post) Joanne Linville, and Celeste Yarnall. I chatted a bit with Gates McFadden from the audience while she was taking questions. I asked her if we might in the future see a re-visitation of the romance between Crusher and Picard, which she seemed very open about!

Keating was very energetic and flamboyant on stage. He was hilarious! He poked fun at Scott Bakula and Jolene Blalock (sp?) and at one point took out his cell phone and called up Anthony Montgomery (Ensign Mayweather) so the audience could give him a shout. He talked about upcoming episodes (in no great detail) and said that he has his own decontamination scene (!) coming up. "With Hoshi AND T'pol! A threesome!" he said. He also said that we would be seeing Reed get to blow more stuff up in coming weeks. He answered questions about how the audition for the show went, and about how fun it is to play the tactical officer on the show. He also mentioned that as far as he knows, Reed will indeed become the first gay character on Enterprise. Another big wow.

Gates McFadden talked about how great it was to do the Next Generation, particularly how good it had been working with Patrick Stewart, and how she had had so much fun directing that one episode. (D'oh! Can't remember the name!) She mentioned that shooting on STX would begin the 17th. She announced that she was very happy with the script as far as Beverly's part was concerned, saying that she hoped we would see a bit more involvement on her part than in Insurrection.

Majel delivered a very moving speech about Gene's vision and cited several examples of how the force of Star Trek had made an impact in the world of science and technology. When asked by an audience member how she thought Gene would feel about the attacks of September 11th, she said she was sure he would remain ever the optimist, confident that humanity would pull through. I asked her how she thought Gene would feel about the previous few years of Trek (Voyager, DS9, and now Enterprise) and she replyed "It it the way he would do it? No. But would he like it? Yes. He would have done it differently, but it's certainly in his spirit." She mentioned specifically that she was herself a big fan of ENT.

All in all it was quite a memorable day.

Here are some low-resolution digital photos I took. When I get the 'real' film I took developed, i'll scan those and post them as well.

http://www.angelfire.com/scifi2/monkeyofmim/majelspeaking.jpg
Majel speaking onstage.

http://www.angelfire.com/scifi2/monkeyofmim/meandmajel.jpg\
A shot of me and Majel at the table where she was signing autographs.

http://www.angelfire.com/scifi2/monkeyofmim/mcfaddenspeaking1.jpg
Gates McFadden speaking

http://www.angelfire.com/scifi2/monkeyofmim/meandcelesteyarnell.jpg
Me and Celeste Yarnall.

http://www.angelfire.com/scifi2/monkeyofmim/mcfaddenspeaking2.jpg
Another shot of McFadden talking.

http://www.angelfire.com/scifi2/monkeyofmim/keatingspeaking.jpg
Dominic Keating onstage.

http://www.angelfire.com/scifi2/monkeyofmim/joannelinville.jpg
Joanne Linville.

http://www.angelfire.com/scifi2/monkeyofmim/graceleewhitney.jpg
Grace Lee Whitney.

http://www.angelfire.com/scifi2/monkeyofmim/friends.jpg
These are just two friends I went with.

Well, hope you guys are floored! More coming.
-MMoM

[ November 10, 2001: Message edited by: The Mighty Monkey of Mim ]

--------------------
The flaws we find most objectionable in others are often those we recognize in ourselves.

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm very dissapointed. All those photographs, and not one which enlightens me as to what a "Mighty Monkey of Mim" looks like.

But, hey, you had a good time, and that's what counts, doesn't it? Cons are always fun, but I've wound up just a "day" visitor to most in recent years, mostly just to catch up with some writer friends and bug Mojo (who had this cool eye-slide thingy at Shore Leave this summer) a bit.

On a side note: might want to add some spoiler warnings about some of that Enterprise stuff, just to be on the safe side.

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

The Mighty Monkey of Mim
Member # 646

- posted      Profile for The Mighty Monkey of Mim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Woopsies!

Wait a bit and i'll figure out what's wrong.

But Snay, you're in for one heck of a disappointment. I'm a mere high school student. Hardly a worthy opponent, eh?

-MMoM

--------------------
The flaws we find most objectionable in others are often those we recognize in ourselves.

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A worthy opponent for what ... ? Long distance running? Endurance watching of a bad soap?

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

The_Tom
recently silent
Member # 38

- posted      Profile for The_Tom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Four, Oh, Four!

--------------------
"I was surprised by the matter-of-factness of Kafka's narration, and the subtle humor present as a result." (Sizer 2005)

The Mighty Monkey of Mim
Member # 646

Okay, it should work now. If not, just try going here to see the pics:

http://www.angelfire.com/scifi2/monkeyofmim

-MMoM

[ November 10, 2001: Message edited by: The Mighty Monkey of Mim ]

--------------------

The Red Admiral
Admiral on Deck....
Member # 602

- posted      Profile for The Red Admiral     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Most cool Monkey, you certainly have the envy of me, and probably many others.

Ent $$$

Reed gay??! Oh my, do you think this really is going to work??

--------------------
"To the Enterprise and the Stargazer. Old girlfriends we'll never meet again." - Scotty

Trekmania -My Comprehensive Trek Resource

The ASDB

David Templar
Saint of Rabid Pikachu
Member # 580

- posted      Profile for David Templar     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
For a moment there, I thought MMoM looked like a giant Akiraprise icon. Quite surprised.

I just hope that this doesn't turn into a token gay character thing, the thing with Reed that is.

--------------------
"God's in his heaven. All's right with the world."

Shik
Starship database: completed; History of Starfleet: done; website: probably never
Member # 343

- posted      Profile for Shik     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The gay guy...is the dude who likes to blow shit up. Hm.

Must resist making "angsty repression" jokes.

--------------------
"The French have a saying: 'mise en place'—keep everything in its fucking place!"

The_Tom
recently silent
Member # 38

- posted      Profile for The_Tom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
http://www.trek5.com/features/2001/sanjose.html
This report mentions nothing about the gay thing whatsoever. One would assume that if Keating made it pretty clear Reed was gay there and then the online Trek community would currently be in the midst of the online equivalent of sliding backwards and forwards in a bathtub until you swamp the floor with a tidal wave.

[ November 12, 2001: Message edited by: The_Tom ]

--------------------
"I was surprised by the matter-of-factness of Kafka's narration, and the subtle humor present as a result." (Sizer 2005)

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

Nice link. For my favorite verb, your ubb code isn't up to par, now is it?

So, either Mim lied, Mim overstated a statement Keating made, or Keating said something indirectly that made Mim think what he thunk.

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

The Mighty Monkey of Mim
Member # 646

I suppose I could have overstated or been slightly mislead. I can't now remember exactly what his words on the subject were, so I could have inferred something as clearer than it actually was.

Apologies,
-MMoM

--------------------

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm more concerned that you went to a Star Trek convention with a girl. One who isn't even hideous. How does that work?

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

I'd imagine it went something like:

MIM: Hey, wanna go to a Star Trek Convention with me?

Girl: Sure.

(Of course, he may have promised not to refer to 'Star Wars' as 'Star Wars Episode IV: A New Hope: Special Edition' in public anymore ...)

[ November 12, 2001: Message edited by: Malnurtured Snay ]

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think the point is that such a situation seems about as likely as:

Churchill: "Stop trying to take over the world."

Hitler: "Okay."

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps