Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » General Trek » Went to a Convention today... (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Went to a Convention today...
Mikey T
Driven
Member # 144

- posted      Profile for Mikey T     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
At least he had fun. I can't wait for the conventions here in LA to start, especially the big one in Pasadena. And is that Grace Lee Whitney's cowboy hat?

As for Reed being gay...God I hope not. He would be too butch I think. I'd rather see a lesbian than Reed gay.

--------------------
"It speaks to some basic human needs: that there is a tomorrow, it's not all going to be over with a big splash and a bomb, that the human race is improving, that we have things to be proud of as humans."
-Gene Roddenberry about Star Trek

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh, I see, Mighty Monkey of Mim launched an invasion against the girl to conquer her and drag her to the con. I see.

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That makes more sense.

Mike: How can someone be too butch to be gay? Isn't that like saying that Geordi was too blind to be black?

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
LOL! Psyliam - that is so true... Michael_T that's a little narrow-minded! And you're GAY!

--------------------
"Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica." - Jim Halpert. (The Office)

I'm LIZZING! - Liz Lemon (30 Rock)

Mikey T
Driven
Member # 144

- posted      Profile for Mikey T     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I can be narrow-minded if I want...no one is perfect you know. Besides, I was hoping for a lesbian on the show. There aren't enough lesbians on network TV, even Queer As Folk has only two main lesbian characters. But I know there are only two women on Enterprise to go lesbo, so IF any of the guys on the show is going to be gay, it better be the helmsman.
PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Of course, we've done this argument before, and it boils down to the tricky task of the producers making someone gay without shouting out "LOOK! HE'S GAY! WE'RE DOING A GAY SCENE! AREN'T WE COOL!". No-one ever stood around on Kirk's Enterprise saying "My God! We've got a darkie doing communications! And a Jap at helm! We're so cool, and we don't even have to pay the scum!"

B5 did it fairly well with Ivonova, although you could make the arguement that by having her falling for Marcus, they chickened out slightly (I mean, how could anyone fall for Marcus? Seriously, how?)

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

Mikey T
Driven
Member # 144

I hate to say this, but if Keating or the producers do something similar to the Will&Grace type characters...I will definately not watch the show.

--------------------
"It speaks to some basic human needs: that there is a tomorrow, it's not all going to be over with a big splash and a bomb, that the human race is improving, that we have things to be proud of as humans."

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

Which TV show are we talking about now?

And by "something similar", do you mean having everyone stand around saying "He's GAY! And we're talking to him! Aren't we great! Go TV modern super style!", or do you mean having a homosexual fall for someone who likes to say "bloody" a lot?

--------------------

Mikey T
Driven
Member # 144

Enterprise Liam, Enterprise... And I'm talking about "Oh, we have a gay character now..isn't he so queer" type of a character. The character from the cookie cutter factory.

--------------------

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ivanova is gay?
bX
Stopped. Smelling flowers.
Member # 419

- posted      Profile for bX     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes. Gay. And gay means happy. Happy happy. Happy naked frolicking with Talia Winters. Naked naked. Gay gay. Happy Happy...

Huh? What? Whuzzat? Sorry. Just drifted off for a sec there. (Apologies for my stereotypical shallow appreciation for the homosexual experience.) Seriously though, I'd like to see a gay male character on the show if they can do it right. So far, if Reed is gay, they are doing it right (as far as I am concerned). No one is making a big deal about it, and he's not making a spectacle of himself. Like it's no big deal. Which it really shouldn't be.

Marge: "I mean, I think he enjoys the company of men."
Homer: "Who doesn't?"

--------------------
"Nah. The 9th chevron is for changing the ringtone from "grindy-grindy chonk-chonk" to the theme tune to dallas." -Reverend42

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You know, I was in Ocean City over the summer, and late one night, two guys got into a fight, and after they'd been split up and were being dragged away in opposite directions by their friends, one guy yelled out: "YOU FUCKING GAY FAGGOT FUCK!"

Anyway ... doesn't that sort of cancel itself out? Double-negative?

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
No. One of the words would actually have to involve a negation of some sort. It's just repetitive. After all, calling someone a "human person" doesn't cancel itself out.
PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

According to JMS, Ivonova is "flexible". To people without beards, she's bisexual.

She was apparently having a thing with Talia, before the later realised she'd spent far too long in front of the camera wearing clothes and buggered off.

--------------------

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

I see...

Perhaps, if I had seen more than about half-a-season of the show so far, I'd have known that. :-)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps