Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » General Trek » Do you like Klingon ships? (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Do you like Klingon ships?
Nevod
Member # 738

- posted      Profile for Nevod     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I do, especially Vor'Cha.It rocks soo good...

--------------------
Fear is the ultimate enemy.And unreasoning is second that.

Dukhat
Hater of Stock Footage
Member # 341

- posted      Profile for Dukhat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was always partial to the TMP K'T'inga battlecruiser. Although I have to admit I'm sick of seeing it now. And don't even get me started on the Bird of Prey.

--------------------
"A film made in 2008 isn't going to look like a TV series from 1966 if it wants to make any money. As long as the characters act the same way, and the spirit of the story remains the same then it's "real" Star Trek. Everything else is window dressing." -StCoop

OnToMars
Now on to the making of films!
Member # 621

- posted      Profile for OnToMars     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Me like...me like...

--------------------
If God didn't want us to fly, he wouldn't have given us Bernoulli's Principle.

Antagonist
Member # 484

- posted      Profile for Antagonist     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Don't get you started? I dare to, sir.

I've always found the BoP to be a very practical and unique design. When you see one, you immediately know what it is. Although I disagree witht he whole different Cruiser/Fighter-scout models. I have and always will believe that the BoP is one size, and the two sepparate ships thing was a quick and cheap excuse to explain on-screen size fuckups.

The D-7 and K'tinga on the other hand are not very special, in my opinion. While they seem based on the same archetecture of the BoP (or rather vice versa), I don't exactly find it very agressive, or very well detailed, a typical Klingon-esque trait in their ships. The Vor'cha however is a great design. I don't know why, but it just stands out as something I like.

--------------------
Move .sig!!

MrNeutron
Member # 524

- posted      Profile for MrNeutron     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Personally I like the D-7/K'tinga. Good lines. Albeit I always thought the scale was fucked up. The ships are supposed to be smaller than the Enterprise, but you look at the number of windows and their spacing and you gotta wonder...

The BOP always struck me as style over substance. Its wings are the height of impracticality (why can't people who design S.F. ships ever understand how lift really works), and it has none of the features of a warp capable vessel.

The Vorcha...it's the illigitimate child of the Draconia from 1978's Buck Rogers (the resemblance is striking).

--------------------
"Well, I mean, it's generally understood that, of all of the people in the world, Mike Nelson is the best." -- ULTRA MAGNUS, steadfast in curmudgeon

Nevod
Member # 738

- posted      Profile for Nevod     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Huh, BoP have warpdrives...I don't like differnt sizes idea too, but I accept two ships:B'Rel and so called D-13.

Vor'Cah don't look like Draconia...Negh'var looks so..

--------------------

nx001a
Member # 291

- posted      Profile for nx001a     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Personally i liked all the Klingon ships since they were well designed and different. From the Klingon D7, the K't'Inga, to the Negh'Var. However, i was not a big fan of the K'Vort Class nor did i like the idea of seeing a K't'Inga in service during the war. But what really annoying me is that a D7 is in service in 2151. I hope the next klingon ship we see is a new design. I heard there will be a raptor class scout ship in the next episode and i hope they don't use any exisitng models for that.

--------------------
"We set sail on this new sea because their is new knowledge to be gained and new rights to be won" John F Kennedy

members.aol.com/mfwan/index.htm

Dukhat
Hater of Stock Footage
Member # 341

- posted      Profile for Dukhat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
I have and always will believe that the BoP is one size, and the two sepparate ships thing was a quick and cheap excuse to explain on-screen size fuckups.

I first noticed this in "Yesterday's Enterprise," when the Ent-D was first attacked by a small BoP, correctly referred to as a scout ship, but was then attacked later by these huge ships which bore an uncanny resemblance to the smaller BoP.

I believe what happened was that since no new Klingon battlecruiser had yet been designed or built, TPTB needed some kind of larger ship to be a believable threat to a Galaxy class ship. Hence, they decided, "Hey, let's take the BoP and scale it up about a million times, and call it a new ship! Wow, we really saved some money here because we don't have to build a new model!"

Of course, next season someone built the Vor'cha model, and the large K'Vort class ships from "YE" went bye-bye.

--------------------
"A film made in 2008 isn't going to look like a TV series from 1966 if it wants to make any money. As long as the characters act the same way, and the spirit of the story remains the same then it's "real" Star Trek. Everything else is window dressing." -StCoop

Woodside Kid
Member # 699

- posted      Profile for Woodside Kid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Of course, next season someone built the Vor'cha model, and the large
K'Vort class ships from "YE" went bye-bye.

Oh, really? Take a look at the shot in "Reunion" when the three Klingon ships are facing the E-D in the background. The two Birds of Prey flanking the Vor'cha-class ship looked to be a lot bigger than a 12-man scout vessel.

--------------------
The difference between genius and idiocy? Genius has its limits.

MinutiaeMan
Living the Geeky Dream
Member # 444

- posted      Profile for MinutiaeMan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
And how about those Birds-of-Prey from "The Defector"? According to some people, those ships appear to be 600 meters PLUS!

Damn VFX fudging...

Anyway, I've always liked the Klingon designs. The D7/K't'inga are okay, they work for the TOS era. The Bird-of-Prey is definitely one of my all-time favorites. Yeah, the wings aren't the most functional... but they're visually impressive. That's something the BOP tries to do (like its Romulan predecessor) -- intimidate the enemy with a scary looking ship.

--------------------
“Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.” — Isaac Asimov
Star Trek Minutiae | Memory Alpha

Dukhat
Hater of Stock Footage
Member # 341

The Klingon ships from "Reunion" were a different size still. From the "YE" ep, the K'Vorts looked to be as large as the Ent-D. In "Reunion", they were smaller than the Vor'cha, which is itself smaller than the Ent-D, IIRC.

As far as the "Defector" Klingon ships go, again this episode was made before the Vor'cha model was built, with the same circumstances: TPTB needed a Klingon ship large enough to battle a Romulan Warbird. It is not unreasonable to assume that the 600" long ships were the same as the K'Vorts.

--------------------

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"...600" long ships..."

Wow. Even a runabout is longer than that...

Nevod
Member # 738

^^-lol.

I don't like different sizes idea too... I saw a non-canon design named Boreth, a hybird of BoP and Vor'Cha, designed for the same things as BoP- fast attack.However, I can't get a picture, I have a 3d model on hard...If you'll explain me how to upload pictures, I'll post it.

--------------------

EdipisReks
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i've always been a big fan of the vor'cha. personally, i wish that they had at least added something to the big BOP's to make them look a little different, but what are you going to do?

--jacob

IP: Logged
Nevod
Member # 738

Huh,I just wish that someone will explain to me how to upload pictures to hosts...I just don't know how...

Boreth, actually, is somewhere inbetween of BoP and Vor'Cha, and in fact, looks loke a Vor'Cha with BoP proportions.But it's very good design.Don't know who made it, but it's present in SoA mod for game HomeWorld(in case someone don't know.) You may ask something here Look for Homeworld Trek forum.

[ December 14, 2001: Message edited by: Nevod ]

--------------------

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps