Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » General Trek » Post-view: Members of the Federation (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Post-view: Members of the Federation
Harry
Stormwind City Guard
Member # 265

- posted      Profile for Harry     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Members of the Federation

The database is more complete than ever now with the Magazine revealing the obscure TMP aliens. The total number of potential members is now 107.
I would appreciate any comments on the list. So if you have any questions, remarks, or simple want to rant about something, do so.

--------------------
Titan Fleet Yards | Memory Alpha

Shik
Starship database: completed; History of Starfleet: done; website: probably never
Member # 343

- posted      Profile for Shik     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Looks good, Harry. I like your categorization scheme. Also found a couple I need to add to my own list.

This brings up (again) the question of "what constitutes being a Federation member?" My own list is at 382 entries & will probably expand to 500 or 600--a vast increase over that annoying "150 members" line. Why so many? I'm including colonies (Mars, Luna, Titan, Ganymede, etc.) as well as possible protectorates. Also, since I run my universe 11-12 years ahead of "current" TNG/DS9/VGR times, I'm thinking that membership ballooned after the Dominion War.

Plus I also set up the list primarily as a civilian ship registration prefix list. Sure, they might have an NDT or a BDR number, but I think of the planets as also being like the individual state or provinces that assign their own numerical code with a 1-, 2-, or 3-letter "planet of registry" prefix.

Anyway..back on topic...how did you decide who to leave out & who to leave in? There are a couple that seem odd to me, like Risa. I don't think that's so much a member as much as a protectorate or "simple place."

--------------------
"The French have a saying: 'mise en place'—keep everything in its fucking place!"

Harry
Stormwind City Guard
Member # 265

- posted      Profile for Harry     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I assume Risa is a member mainly because the planet has indigenous people, and because so many Starfleet and Federation species and people are frequenting the place. More evidence comes from the New Essentialists who targeted Risa for their ideas on *Federation* ideals.
Then there is the environmental system, which I think was mentioned to be from Federation origin.

--------------------

Shik
Starship database: completed; History of Starfleet: done; website: probably never
Member # 343

- posted      Profile for Shik     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
To ME, anyway, being a member implies an indiginous population and worldwide governmental system among other things. I didn't see any of that as being on Risa (& a few other places)...but that's me.

--------------------
"The French have a saying: 'mise en place'—keep everything in its fucking place!"

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My own wholly incomplete and likely inaccurate list contains planets, not species, and thus is directed towards somewhat different ends. I presume you're not interested in places like 'audet IX, which contained a Federation research station and thus was presumably a UFP world, but had no mention of any native population, or any life whatsoever.
The Mighty Monkey of Mim
SUPPOSED TO HAVE ICE POWERS!!
Member # 646

- posted      Profile for The Mighty Monkey of Mim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
IIRC, according to publicity materials published by Gene Roddenberry's Lincoln Enterprises during the run of TAS, Edos was not supposed to be a UFP member, but rather in a loose alliance with the Federation.

--------------------
The flaws we find most objectionable in others are often those we recognize in ourselves.

Harry
Stormwind City Guard
Member # 265

Really? Didn't know that. I'll change it . And I'm going to add Medusa, simply because the Magazine of October 2001 suggested it .

--------------------

Harry
Stormwind City Guard
Member # 265

LOL! I see Medusa is already in the list. Stupid me.

--------------------

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Shik: Well, there's some question whether Vanessa Williams was supposed to be a native Risan or not. And you just said you include colonies as members, but that members need to have an indigenous population. That's completely self-contradictory. By definition, a colony is non-indigenous.
The_Tom
recently silent
Member # 38

- posted      Profile for The_Tom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Why would there be any question if whether Vanessa Williams was a native Risian or not? She had the penny stuck to her forehead like everyone else identified as Risian, no?

--------------------
"I was surprised by the matter-of-factness of Kafka's narration, and the subtle humor present as a result." (Sizer 2005)

Shik
Member # 343

quote:
Originally posted by TSN:
...you just said you include colonies as members, but that members need to have an indigenous population. That's completely self-contradictory. By definition, a colony is non-indigenous.

It's not a concrete rule, just an observation..but yeah, it does bring up (yet again) the question of "what is a colony?" Mars was declared effectively free in 2103; is it a standalone member or does it pool with Earth? What about Luna? They kind of have "indigenous populations" now, if defined loosely.

I've been trying for some time to come up with a worthwhile scheme, but the only thing I can come back to is that all the colonies & planets join as a star system with a "joint ambassadorial structure," but that doesn't work in multispecies systems like Rigel. Oh well.

--------------------

Harry
Stormwind City Guard
Member # 265

And that's exactly why I've chosen for listing species instead of planets.

--------------------

The_Tom
recently silent
Member # 38

- posted      Profile for The_Tom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Mars was declared effectively free in 2103

Um, yes. Right.

--------------------
"I was surprised by the matter-of-factness of Kafka's narration, and the subtle humor present as a result." (Sizer 2005)

OnToMars
Now on to the making of films!
Member # 621

- posted      Profile for OnToMars     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Free Mars!!!!!!

Oh wait...first we have to get there. Shit.

On to Mars!!!!!!!!!

--------------------
If God didn't want us to fly, he wouldn't have given us Bernoulli's Principle.

Masao
doesn't like you either
Member # 232

- posted      Profile for Masao     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
To make an annoying tangent: Why does the UK have multiple national football teams trying to qualify for the World Cup but only a single Olympic team and UN seat? Are there any other countries that do this? Should California have a separate soccer team? It might be something similar to Federation Membership and Council seats...somehow.
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps