Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » General Trek » $ More "Nemesis" names $ (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: $ More "Nemesis" names $
Harry
Stormwind City Guard
Member # 265

- posted      Profile for Harry     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
http://www.trektoday.com/news/261201_02.shtml

It seems both Guinan and Lwaxana are back.. along with Super-Wesley and Miss Janeway. And finally something is happening in the cozy Enterprise crew. Riker gets a new command, and we have a new kid on the block.

--------------------
Titan Fleet Yards | Memory Alpha

Siegfried
Fullmetal Pompatus
Member # 29

- posted      Profile for Siegfried     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wow, that's some good news. Well, the marriage and the new command are a bit old news, but I think it's great that Guinan and Lwaxanna are going to be making one final jaunt in the Trek universe.

I'm not certain how I feel about Janeway making a cameo. If it's the same role as I here months earlier in the floating treatments, then I still think that doesn't exactly sit too well. But, I'll judge it when the movie comes out.

--------------------
The philosopher's stone. Those who possess it are no longer bound by the laws of equivalent exchange in alchemy. They gain without sacrifice and create without equal exchange. We searched for it, and we found it.

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Janeway booo!

Uh ... does it not make sense to anyone that Data gets passed over to move up to First Officer? (Assuming he doesn't go as Riker's, that is).

Actually, I hope the senior staff gets split between remaining on the Enterprise and going to Riker's new ship (besides Troi, of course, who we know will be leaving).

This would be the perfect opportunity for some of those Voyager & DS9 cameos we're always hearing about.

Speaking of which, I hope O'Brien is at the wedding.

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

Siegfried
Fullmetal Pompatus
Member # 29

- posted      Profile for Siegfried     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Actually, assuming that the spoilers are true, there is a very good reason as to why Data gets passed over for the first officer position. However, I'm not going to say it in this thread. [Big Grin]

--------------------
The philosopher's stone. Those who possess it are no longer bound by the laws of equivalent exchange in alchemy. They gain without sacrifice and create without equal exchange. We searched for it, and we found it.

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh, crap, he joins the Army, doesn't he? [Smile]

(possible $$$)

That's still fairly cool, though ... death (if that is what it is, shutdown?) adds realism to the unrealistic world that is 'Star Trek' ...

Still, if we got Harry Kim, Nog, or maybe Tuvok as replacements on the "Enterprise" or "Titan" ...

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Of course, even if Data didn't have "other reasons" for not becoming the XO, who says he would even want to? He seems rather content where he is.
Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Besdies, Data is in the operations division (gold uniform). He probably wouldn't be considered for a permanent commmand position unless he changed divisions.

Yes, I know he's been given an XO position on a couple of occations, but I'm talking about being permanently assigned to a ship in that capacity.

--------------------
"Nu ani anqueatas"

Aban's Illustration
The Official Website of Shannon McRandle

Timo
Member # 245

- posted      Profile for Timo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Worf spent years and years in a yellowshirt position as well, but transferred to red and to starship command (if only part-time) eventually.

In contrast, Eddington and Sisko joked about the former having to change colors in order to get starship command, as if the shirt swap (let alone getting the command job) were near-impossible for Eddington.

I guess it might matter whether a person has had "redshirt" training early in his career, or just the apparently more limiting "yellowshirt" training. Worf began TNG as a redshirt, and so did LaForge (who returned to redshirting in VOY "Timeless", after the brief come-as-you-are XO stint in "Redemption"). Data is simply a mystery in this respect - we don't know much about his early career. He wore red in "Chain of Command", which might mean he's got better chances than Eddington ever had...

Timo Saloniemi

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

I don't think the color of a shirt matters much, unless you're in medical ...

We know Janeway was a science officer, but she got a starship command.

Both Worf and Geordi started out as red, then got gold, then we've both seen them back in red -- Worf on DS9, and Geordi in that Voyager episode (proof that in at least one alternate universe, he got back to red).

Riker was a red shirt on the "Pegasus", a gold shirt on the "Potemkin", and got back to red on the "Hood" and later the "Enterprise."

I really don't think once a person is in a gold shirt they can't go back, or whatever. It's a ridiculous theory -- Data is the "Enterprise's" second officer. He wouldn't be the second officer if he wasn't in the direct line of command ... same goes for Worf and Geordi. Troi and Crusher, being medical personnel, are exempt (the episodes putting them in command were ridiculous -- you'd never see that in a real navy).

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

Fabrux
Epic Member
Member # 71

- posted      Profile for Fabrux     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, if you remember, they had to take a special quialification test or something in order to be able to take command. Crusher did it off-camera, but Troi's was the focus of an episode, IIRC. Besides, Crusher ended up commanding a medical ship, which makes sense. Who better than a doctor to command a medical relief ship?

--------------------
I haul cardboard and cardboard accessories

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
An officer trained specifically to command a starship [Smile]

I had forgot about Riker being in gold aboard the Potempkin. But do we know he was in red on the Pegasus? Riker also had a fairly one-track mind towards getting his own command back in the day. It's odd that he would be in gold. Of course, the obvious answer is that the writers (or whoever was in charge of the decision) simply wanted Thomas to look different from Will once he got himself into a current uniform.

I think that Worf and Geordi starting out on the command track would have definitely made it easier for them to get back into it when they wanted to. If they had started out in Security as gold shirts or something, it probably wouldn't have been as easy.

Just MHO.

--------------------
"Nu ani anqueatas"

Aban's Illustration

Dat
Huh?
Member # 302

- posted      Profile for Dat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Riker started out as the helmsman on the Pegasus, so he was obviously in red. Somehow he switched over to Security (which is my best guess) on the Potemkin as he was directing the evacuation of the Nervala station, hence the gold shirt.

--------------------
Is it Friday yet?

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

He could have been operations -- which might make more sense, given that his next assignment was Executive Officer on the Hood.

And I'm afraid I already mentioned all this [Smile]

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

I don't think helmsmen are always in red, necessarily. Though that is what we do see most of the time.

--------------------
"Nu ani anqueatas"

Aban's Illustration

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

When have we not seen a helmsman in red? (And, Troi doesn't count 'cuz she was just filling in in an emergency ... [Smile]

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps