Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » General Trek » What TNG DVDs will look like. (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: What TNG DVDs will look like.
Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Like this.

Maybe. Tom mentioned, upon seeing this, that he had heard that packaging in the U.S. and U.K. may not be similiar, and this image did come from the British Amazon. (Ha ha!) So, anyway, there you go.

First of Two
Better than you
Member # 16

- posted      Profile for First of Two     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
But how much will it COST?

--------------------
"The best defense is not a good offense. The best defense is a terrifyingly accurate and devastatingly powerful offense, with multiply-overlapping kill zones and time-on-target artillery strikes." -- Laurence, Archangel of the Sword

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It would seem the prices for TV-series DVD sets varies. For example, the first season of The Simpsons is $40 for 3 discs. That's just over $13 per disc. Any given season of The X-Files is $150 for seven discs, which is over $21 per disc. The entire series of Monty Python's Flying Circus is $200 for 14 discs, so a bit over $14/disc. Fawlty Towers ($60, 3 discs) is $20/disc. Black Adder ($120, 5 discs) is $24/disc. And those are all the TV-series-on-DVD I can think of, aside from TOS which doesn't come in a set.

So, given those prices, the TNG set, at 49 discs total, could be anywhere from $600 to $1200. However, the one thing listed above that most resembles TNG is The X-Files (hour-long sci-fi series w/ seven discs per season), so I'd guess the price will be closest to that. Which makes it about $1050 for the whole thing.

[ January 09, 2002: Message edited by: TSN ]

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This first season of The Simpsons was so cheap, I suspect, because of its abbreviated nature. Only 13 episodes, each of which are of course only half an hour long.

The X-Files discs apparently carry a fair amount of extras, which tend to jack up the price. (Witness the lovingly produced Criterion edition of Life of Brian which I lust after, but am not yet willing to spend 40 dollars on.) What extras the TNG discs will include is still an open issue.

However, the official announcement is Friday, so we'll presumably get both a list of features and a suggested price.

Personally, I'd really love to have them, but am not entirely sure I can justify the purchase. I bought The Simpsons because it was cheap, and have been getting TOS on the (false) theory that it was ok just to buy one disk at a time for 17 dollars. Right? Right? That's cheap. It's only 17 dollars! Damn you, me!

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sopranos is 13 one-hour episodes per set on four discs, with moderate extras. I got both the first and second seasons for $70 apiece ... less then $7 per episode.

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

Mikey T
Driven
Member # 144

- posted      Profile for Mikey T     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Either way, I'm gonna buy the DVD's since I'm a compulsive buyer. I bought the Star Trek Motion Picture DVD for $29.99 plus tax here in Universal Citywalk. I am also the same person who bought both DVD's of the British version of Queer As Folk for roughly $50 plus tax at the Virgin Megastore in West Hollywood.

I'm just helping to boost the US economy...

--------------------
"It speaks to some basic human needs: that there is a tomorrow, it's not all going to be over with a big splash and a bomb, that the human race is improving, that we have things to be proud of as humans."
-Gene Roddenberry about Star Trek

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You people are worried about spending $14 on a dvd set... think of us here in Australia (and some in the UK I think) who have to fork out $19 each month just to get new Trek - otherwise we'd have to wait years...

(it used to be $21 before the GST came in - AND that was when it was both DS9 and Voyager)

(ALSO - back in 1993/1994 - new episodes of TNG imported from the UK were $60 each! Fuck'n rediculous that was - that was before they started releasing the eps on video here - luckily I had a friend who had nearly the whole series up until that point - must have been up to season 7 - cause I saw Timescape) and I just borrowed all the episodes off him - the $60 tapes were for people who wanted to see season 7 then and there.... crazy times)

--------------------
"Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica." - Jim Halpert. (The Office)

I'm LIZZING! - Liz Lemon (30 Rock)

Harry
Stormwind City Guard
Member # 265

- posted      Profile for Harry     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Will those DVDs ever be released in Region 2?
TOS DVDs still haven't reached Europe, and neither is TMP+.

--------------------
Titan Fleet Yards | Memory Alpha

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

According to Amazon UK, regions 1 and 2 are to be released simultaneously. So, ideally, you won't have to wait.

a link

They say the list price is 89 pounds, by the way, which comes out to about 128.25 U.S. dollars, or 143.71 euros, or 244.05 Australian dollars, or 204.76 Canadian dollars, or 854.64 markkaas (for Timo, I think).

Austin Powers
Slightly warped
Member # 250

- posted      Profile for Austin Powers     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think it's about time for Finland to join the Europhorians! [Wink]

--------------------
Lister: Don't give me the "Star Trek" crap! It's too early in the morning.
- Red Dwarf "The Last Day"

The_Tom
recently silent
Member # 38

- posted      Profile for The_Tom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The markka won't be legal tender by the time this is released, so nyah.

--------------------
"I was surprised by the matter-of-factness of Kafka's narration, and the subtle humor present as a result." (Sizer 2005)

Harry
Stormwind City Guard
Member # 265

- posted      Profile for Harry     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
145 �s for one season... that's 1015 for the whole series. I can buy a new PC with that .

--------------------
Titan Fleet Yards | Memory Alpha

The_Tom
recently silent
Member # 38

- posted      Profile for The_Tom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 

Official Announcement

Unfortunately, I was right, and us here on the left side of the pond will get far less cool packaging. The MSRP will be under $100 US dollars, though. Guess you get what you pay for.

On the bright side, the extras are revealed, and they look positively delicious.

[ January 10, 2002: Message edited by: The_Tom ]

--------------------
"I was surprised by the matter-of-factness of Kafka's narration, and the subtle humor present as a result." (Sizer 2005)

Wes
Over 20 years here? Holy cow.
Member # 212

- posted      Profile for Wes     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
the extras look great... and they seperated it out to dobly 5.1? thats gonna be sweeet.
Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

Given Finland's historic tendancy towards neutrality, I wasn't sure if they were part of the Euro or not.

(Plus I couldn't be bothered to check. I am lazy and without honor.)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps