Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » General Trek » Starfleet Academy (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Starfleet Academy
capped
I WAS IN THE FUTURE, IT WAS TOO LATE TO RSVP
Member # 709

- posted      Profile for capped     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
makes more sense if they do it the OTC way.. you go to (no-Starfleet) college for a med program, and also go through officer training so that you can be awarded a commission when you graduate

--------------------
"Are you worried that your thoughts are not quite.. clear?"

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If both institutions (the Academy and the Med School) were Starfleet, though, he could still have earned a higher rank upon graduation from Med School. Besides, we know that he had just gotten out of Med School when he was posted to DS9. There have been references to his getting to choose a posting based on his class rank. He also said that when he graduated Med School he had to make a choice between SF and working at his then-girlfriend's father's hospital.

So, I'm going to stick with Academy training either precedes or occurs concurrently with Med School/Psychology training.

I'm sure there are variations...i.e. doctors who decide later in life they want to join up. But I'm saying that this is probably the way it goes for officers who want to go into medicine specifically for Starfleet.

--------------------
"Nu ani anqueatas"

Aban's Illustration
The Official Website of Shannon McRandle

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
doctors who decide later in life they want to join up
Isn't that what Bev did? Or where she and Jack in the service at the same time?

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

capped
I WAS IN THE FUTURE, IT WAS TOO LATE TO RSVP
Member # 709

- posted      Profile for capped     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
its unclear. however, remember that Jack's proposal was written on a gag gift of a book entitled 'How to Advance Your Career Through Marriage' .. Since being married to a Starfleet commander wouldnt really affect her career as a doctor (?) it might be presupposed that that meant she was entering or in Starfleet at the time.

--------------------
"Are you worried that your thoughts are not quite.. clear?"

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There's also Bev's age and rank to consider. I doubt a medical officer could reach the rank of full commander and be as young as Beverly is if she didn't join Starfleet at an early age.

Obviously it could happen...It just seems unlikely to me.

--------------------
"Nu ani anqueatas"

Aban's Illustration
The Official Website of Shannon McRandle

OnToMars
Now on to the making of films!
Member # 621

- posted      Profile for OnToMars     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Today, the military will pay for you to attend medical school in return for an obligation to serve for so many years. Also, those with special skills not able to be taught within the military (medical, JAG, etc.) go to civilian medical school and law school. One might be able to get their medical degree in a military institution, for instance, Bethesda Naval Hospital. I'm not sure.

In the Navy, those types of officers aren't line, which means they can't command ships. There's a similar demarcation in the other services. This is apparently copied in Starfleet, where staff (non-line) Starfleet officers aren't by default able to hold command positions. But, like Troi, they can take an exam and the requisite courses and become certified. Unlike Starfleet though, with the Navy, you're either staff or your line. You ain't both.

Also, officers with special skils (medicine) also recieve "Special Pay" (separate from Basic Pay and Incentive Pay) for their skills. They also tend to go through the ranks a bit faster, but for obvious reasons stop around Major/Commander or so.

There's no reason Starfleet doesn't have ROTC. Chief O'Brian once stated that he never went for officer, implying there is an OCS as well. I don't recall, though, if he mentioned OCS specifically. Most likely, there's one Starfleet Academy, and SFROTC all over the place. From what I gather about Troi's personality, she was probably what we call a One Year Wonder. In other words, she got in in the last year and took a stripped down and blitzkrieged Starfleet education. These only get offered to those with special skills. In the Air Force, it is impossible to be a pilot or navigator as a One Year Wonder.

[ January 16, 2002: Message edited by: OnToMars ]

--------------------
If God didn't want us to fly, he wouldn't have given us Bernoulli's Principle.

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps