Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » General Trek » The Breen (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: The Breen
The Mighty Monkey of Mim
SUPPOSED TO HAVE ICE POWERS!!
Member # 646

- posted      Profile for The Mighty Monkey of Mim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was just wondering if anyone knew whether there's anything more than coincidence to the similarity in appearance of the Breen to the Ubese from Star Wars. Was it intended as an homage to SW by the makeup dept, or something like that?

Also, when did we first hear of the Breen, and when exactly did we see them for the first time?

-MMoM [Big Grin]

--------------------
The flaws we find most objectionable in others are often those we recognize in ourselves.

David Templar
Saint of Rabid Pikachu
Member # 580

- posted      Profile for David Templar     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wasn't the first mention of the Breen that time when that kid was trying to copy Data?

Really wish I had my episode guide here...

--------------------
"God's in his heaven. All's right with the world."

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes, I've noticed the similarity between the Breen and Boussh. And yes, the first mention of the Breen was "Hero Worship."

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

Veers
You first
Member # 661

- posted      Profile for Veers         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm guessing a costume designer was a fan of Star Wars and he decided to make a reference to SW in the form of the Breen. [Big Grin]
I believe we first saw the Breen in "Indiscretion," although I've never seen the ep. I remember seeing "By Inferno's Light" (I saw it before "In Purgatory's Shadow") and thinking, "Say, that looks a lot like Boushh from Return of the Jedi..."

[ January 26, 2002, 19:42: Message edited by: Veers ]

--------------------
Meh

The_Tom
recently silent
Member # 38

- posted      Profile for The_Tom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
First mention: The Loss
First appearance: Indiscretion

And, in what may well be the flukiest example of continuity ever, Timothy, when spinning his lie about the mystery aliens attacking the Vico, said they wore helmets in "Hero Worship." Now, ultimately the Breen were suspected by Picard and co. based on proximity to Breen space and not the helmet thing. But, strangely enough, the Breen appear in Indiscretion under Bousschhelmets(tm). Clearly, Timothy's lies were better-planned than we gave him credit for back in 1990.

--------------------
"I was surprised by the matter-of-factness of Kafka's narration, and the subtle humor present as a result." (Sizer 2005)

Wes
Over 20 years here? Holy cow.
Member # 212

- posted      Profile for Wes     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Kirk mentions the breen in an original series episode, one line no detail whatsoever.

I dont remember what epside, but I swear I saw it, or mabye it was a very realistic dream.

Anyway, I used to be obsessed with the Breen, the first time we actually see the Breen is in "Indiscretion" by that time, they got rid of the purple helmets ;o)

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't think it was a fluke - it showed us that the DS9 people were comitted to continuity... they probably went back and watched "Hero Worship". What did they say about the Breen in "The Loss" - that they couldn't read their minds (they being betazoids)?

So that's Ferengi, Breen and Dopterians. HMMMM We *KNOW* that the Dopterians are distant cousins of the Ferengi - I think Odo told us in "The Forsaken"... and we KNOW that (well according to Behr and Wolfe's book) that the Breen sold the Ferengi warp technology - in return for icy moons etc. (So one would suspect that they either left them there and came and used them, or they towed them away - what would this have done to Ferenginar? OH and also their polar ice-caps - they bought them too - so you'd expect that they must be close by. So they might be genetic cousins! ALSO The Breen, the Klingons and the Romulans are the only races known to use disruptors. Romulan and Klingon space are very close, maybe then Breen space is close to these places too! So it might go... Klingons next to Romulans (either way and their next to the Tholians) next to the Breen next to the Ferengi near to DS9, Bajor and the Cardassian union - I picture it in some sort of broad arc surrounding the Federation (of course there aren't solid boarders - and they aren't "blocking" exploration - how could they control interstellar space - unless it was between two adjacent star systems.

Andrew

--------------------
"Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica." - Jim Halpert. (The Office)

I'm LIZZING! - Liz Lemon (30 Rock)

Veers
You first
Member # 661

- posted      Profile for Veers         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You imagined things, Proteus. There is no mention of the Breen in the original series.

--------------------
Meh

David Templar
Saint of Rabid Pikachu
Member # 580

- posted      Profile for David Templar     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I sure as heck don't remember any TOS episode featuring Kirk trying to seduce the Breen Queen.

McCoy: "Damnit Jim! She's wearing a space suit, you don't even know what she looks like under there! She could be ugly for all we know."
Kirk: "Bones... Risk. Is our business."

--------------------
"God's in his heaven. All's right with the world."

Wes
Over 20 years here? Holy cow.
Member # 212

- posted      Profile for Wes     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I swear they mentioned the breen in trouble with tribbles..

anyway...

anyone know why the breen like the cold? I remember it was revealed that the Breen's planet was actually tropical..

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"ALSO The Breen, the Klingons and the Romulans are the only races known to use disruptors."

Lots of races use distruptors. The Breen, Klingons and Romulans are the only ones who use Type-III disruptors (or whatever Worf's line was in Generations.)

capped
I WAS IN THE FUTURE, IT WAS TOO LATE TO RSVP
Member # 709

- posted      Profile for capped     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The problem is when Timothy said they wore purple helmets, somebody came back right away saying 'that doesnt sound like the Breen', but looking back, of the three suspects, the Klingons, Romulans and Breen, the Romulans and the Breen both wear helmets. Perhaps the color purple tipped them off that it wasnt them? because the Breen hate purple? oh well.. into the vaults with that one

--------------------
"Are you worried that your thoughts are not quite.. clear?"

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Romulans haven't worn helmets since "The Enterprise Incident"...

And I think the general consensus is that Weyoun was wrong about the Breen homeworld. Either that, or part of it is tropical, but the Breen live in another part that's frozen. Personally, I think the Breen were probably just playing tricks on Weyoun, getting him to believe their planet was warm and leaving him wondering why they wore those suits.

The Mighty Monkey of Mim
SUPPOSED TO HAVE ICE POWERS!!
Member # 646

- posted      Profile for The Mighty Monkey of Mim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Why is that the consensus, exactly?

--------------------
The flaws we find most objectionable in others are often those we recognize in ourselves.

Dax
Paradox
Member # 191

- posted      Profile for Dax     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Weyoun might have been lying or joking. And didn't he say it in conversation with Damar? Weyoun's known to talk shit to Damar. Anyway, one can never be too sure when it comes to the Vorta.

[ February 01, 2002, 21:43: Message edited by: Dax ]

--------------------
"I exist here."
- Sisko in "Emissary"
Dax's Ships of Star Trek

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps