Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » General Trek » The Breen (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: The Breen
The Mighty Monkey of Mim
SUPPOSED TO HAVE ICE POWERS!!
Member # 646

- posted      Profile for The Mighty Monkey of Mim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
But why assume it's not true? What's wrong w/the Breen not having a frozen homeworld?

--------------------
The flaws we find most objectionable in others are often those we recognize in ourselves.

Shik
Starship database: completed; History of Starfleet: done; website: probably never
Member # 343

- posted      Profile for Shik     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Perhaps the Breen are not indigenous to their nicely toasty homeworld.

--------------------
"The French have a saying: 'mise en place'—keep everything in its fucking place!"

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Shik: Well, then it wouldn't be their homeworld, would it?

Monkey: It's been said before that the Breen are from a frozen planet. Weyoun's the only person who says otherwise. And who trusts him? Are we supposed to think that someone say a Breen and said "I wonder why he's in that suit? I guess his planet must be frozen." and everyone accepted it as fact?

The Mighty Monkey of Mim
Member # 646

- posted      Profile for The Mighty Monkey of Mim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, he directly addressed the fact that it was a commonly-held notion that they came from a frozen planet, but that it was actually a myth.

He didn't just say: "The Breen come from a tropical world, you know." That would be a contradiction.

What he said was (I can't remember his exact word order, but it was to this effect) "Despite what the intelligence reports will tell you, the Breen's homeworld isn't really frozen at all. It's tropical, actually. Quite pleasant..."

There's a distinction. He didn't just say something different from what we've always heard with no explanation. He said something different from what we've always heard and then revealed that what we've always heard was a misconception.

-MMoM [Big Grin]

[ February 02, 2002, 13:02: Message edited by: The Mighty Monkey of Mim ]

--------------------
The flaws we find most objectionable in others are often those we recognize in ourselves.

Cartman
just made by the Presbyterian Church
Member # 256

- posted      Profile for Cartman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
We. Will. Never. Know.
Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
At the time, I thought we were witnessing some cunning misdirection. The Founders disease seemed to be accelerated by heat, much to the delight of the Cardassians, I imagine. In a worst-case-scenerio (Allied victory), what better place to send the Founders in the Alpha quadrant than the Breen homeworld, a very cold place where they could, perhaps, lie dormant for some time. And no one but the Breen have ever been there! So of course Weyoun is going to try and hide that fact.

But, as usual, I was incredibly wrong.

The Mighty Monkey of Mim
Member # 646

Well, I don't see any evidence of deception. I think it was an attempt by the writers to make the Breen seem more threatening by playing up the mystery of them. At this point, basically ALL we knew about them was that they supposedly came from an icy world. Now, we learn that even that basic conception was wrong. We know even less about them than we thought, which wasn't much to begin with.

--------------------

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Are we supposed to think that someone say a Breen and said "I wonder why he's in that suit? I guess his planet must be frozen." and everyone accepted it as fact?
It's not that unlikely. Everyone thinks that humans only use 10% of their brain because "everyone knows that, duh". Common theories can quickly become "facts" in peoples minds, even if the theory is completely wrong.

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

David Templar
Saint of Rabid Pikachu
Member # 580

- posted      Profile for David Templar     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm with Mim on this one, I think the writers were trying to strip what little we do know about the Breen. Which is annoying.

Maybe there was some great catastrophy on the Breen homeworld which caused their cold planet to become warm (i.e. a meteor impact), and it happened recent enough for the Breen race not to have adapted to their new environment...

--------------------
"God's in his heaven. All's right with the world."

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Considering what we (assume we) know about the Breen's biology, I doubt anything in their ecology aside from the simplest of microbes would be capable of adapting to such a drastic environmental change.

Without technological assistance, that is. My point being that I think the Breen could only have survived such a catastrophe through fancy refrigeration technology, regardless of how long ago it occured, as the change would be too drastic to allow higher lifeforms to survive. I realize this is pretty obvious, or unnecessary, or boring, but this post is my current distraction from homework, and thus drags on.

[ February 04, 2002, 14:19: Message edited by: Sol System ]

Wes
Over 20 years here? Holy cow.
Member # 212

- posted      Profile for Wes     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Anyway, its stated that the Breen homeworld's climate is tropical.

If you dont like it, dont try to bend the facts and say 'oh well, its Weyoun.. you cant belive him.'

Its not very smart to gave the whole "i dont like it so I will draw some lines a little farther then they were made to go to make the facts fit my story" additude.

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

Er...why not?
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps