Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » General Trek » Can anyone tell me what species 125 is? (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Can anyone tell me what species 125 is?
The Vulcan
Member # 633

- posted      Profile for The Vulcan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I would like to know, since the borg queen originated from them according to here .

[Razz]

I'm bored, ok?

--------------------
Die please.

k, thx.

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Microsoft OLE DB Provider for ODBC Drivers error '80040e37'

[Microsoft][ODBC driver for Oracle][Oracle]ORA-00942: table or view does not exist

/includes/stdb.asp, line 43

???

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
AFAIK, that's all we know about the Borg queen's species: their number.
David Templar
Saint of Rabid Pikachu
Member # 580

- posted      Profile for David Templar     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Take the letters corresponding to each number on a phone's keypad, and make up a race that sounds like something.

Hey, there's no letters assigned to 1.

--------------------
"God's in his heaven. All's right with the world."

Timo
Member # 245

- posted      Profile for Timo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
One thing we do know about that race: It's got an inexhaustible supply of heads shaped like Susanna Thompson and Alice Krige. Both types of Queen have supposedly suffered a fatal loss of their physical bodies, and then moved into an identical-looking body, like a hermit crab who prefers Pepsi and Coke cans to seashells.

Are the members of Species 125 really mostly clones of each other, or did the Borg do the cloning out of two pleasant-looking samples and ditch the rest? Or does the Queen use some kind of time travel to restore her physical body, instead of just plain old Frankensteinics?

Timo Saloniemi

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Assuming the queen is intended to act as speaker for the Borg in those occasions where such a creature is necessary, the Borg may be looking to preserve the continuity of their contact with the assimilees-to-be.

Which addresses the why, if not the how. I'd prefer keeping things on the cloning/unique property of original species level, rather than introducing time travel to the equation.

Harry
Stormwind City Guard
Member # 265

- posted      Profile for Harry     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Queen just IS.. like she said in FC, you think too threedimensional (whatever that means).

--------------------
Titan Fleet Yards | Memory Alpha

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Queen's line about thinking too three dimensionally does seem to imply some sort of inate time travel in use within the Collective...or at least as regards the Queen herself. But I'd rather assume that the heads are clones (maybe of the last member of species 125) and that the Queen's consciousness is spread throughout the Collective...which could adequately explain the 3-D comment.

--------------------
"Nu ani anqueatas"

Aban's Illustration
The Official Website of Shannon McRandle

Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This thread has reminded me of "Relativity." I can't recall the exact wording in the episode, but the 29th-century Starfleet types seemed to think they could 'unify' and rehabilitate the various Braxton versions (as they said they'd done after rescuing the stranded-on-Earth Braxton); also, that they could repeatedly pluck Seven out of the timeline to do her undercover bit, with only a gradually cumulative harmful effect.

Perhaps this is how they are able to have one Borg Queen who's died at least once we know of (First Contact), was in a position to die at least twice more ("Best of Both Worlds" since we're informed she was on that cube, and "Darf Frontier"), and may have died again in "Endgame."

--------------------
Never mind the Phlox - Here's the Phase Pistols

Fabrux
Epic Member
Member # 71

- posted      Profile for Fabrux     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
ROFL!

"Darf Frontier"

Priceless.

--------------------
I haul cardboard and cardboard accessories

The Vulcan
Member # 633

- posted      Profile for The Vulcan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There's a queen for each collective, I know, I also have another question, do all the collectives in one quadrant or area unite together and share information they have gathered, then one of those collectives go to another place and spread the knowledge they acuired to the other collectives in the new area, or are the collectives independent on info gathering and adaption to stuff?

[ March 06, 2002, 21:11: Message edited by: The Apocalypse ]

--------------------
Die please.

k, thx.

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Er...collectives? Plural?
Timo
Member # 245

- posted      Profile for Timo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't believe in multiple Collectives or separate Collective-specific Queens. But I do think that parts of the Collective are in fact separated from the main whole more than others, at least temporarily. Cubes on distant assignments, for example. The volume of communication could diminish in such situations, even if there wasn't a total loss of contact.

I guess the Borg might decide to incarnate a Queen or two aboard a Cube if they knew it was soon going to loiter outside comm range. The Queen would then give the separated sub-Collective some extra initiative and control. When the Cube reported back, the information and experiences gained would be dumped back to the greater Collective for everybody to share. The Queen incarnations could be either dismantled and put into storage, or turned into ordinary Drones.

When the Queen incarnates into a body, I doubt a new individual is created. Nor does an aphysical Queen entity move entirely into this physical body. She just deposits a copy of herself, or a minor subcomponent of herself (or just a copy of a subcomponent) into the body, and simultaneously continues her aphysical existence in the larger Collective. The Queen could have a billion bodies simultaneously all across the galaxy, and perhaps lose them all in battle, and still she wouldn't be diminished.

IMHO. And I think the Queen could have two kinds of roles in the Collective, and I don't know which is more plausible:

1) Like the Queen of an ant hive, she could be the lowest of the slaves. An ant Queen is basically just an egg-laying slave; a Borg Queen could be the independent-thought, local-control slave, forced into that type of labor when needed. The Collective mind would be her true boss.

2)OTOH, she could be a supreme lifeform that lives through the bodies and minds of the Collective and its Drones. When she incarnates into a physical body, we only see a minor part of her splendor. The Collective mind is where she dwells - she's a galaxy-spanning lifeform, which is why her incarnations can claim "I *am* the Borg". The Borg are her true body.

Timo Saloniemi

OnToMars
Now on to the making of films!
Member # 621

- posted      Profile for OnToMars     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I seem to recall this debate before. I'll offer my example again, and hopefully this time it won't spin off into a debate on the probability of the existence of multiple dimensions.

There are physicists who claim that there is a fifth dimension, dubbed hyperspace. Though we might be able to verify it exists through mathematics, we can't visualize it, because our brains aren't built to. If we were to travel into the fifth dimension, we would be unable to see it in its entirety. All we could see would be three dimensional blobs that wouldn't make sense or appear to have any order (though in fact they do).

This can be demonstrated through a clearer analogy. Take a 2D creature who has no concept of the third dimension. It understands circles, but can't visualize spheres. The best the 2D creature could hope to understand is that a sphere is collection of circles.

****ANALOGY ENDS - HERE LIES THE ACTUAL TALK ABOUT THE BORG****

We as individuals, are unable to visualize the true scope of the Collective. We don't have collective minds, thus we can't understand that aspect of their existence. We can, however, observe the three dimensional pieces of the Borg, namely the drones. When the Queen talked about her existence, we truly are incapable of understanding the relationship. Because the relationship lies in an aspect of the Collective that we can never hope to comprehend, or at least, visualize.

Lack of knowledge is fear. Inability to know is terror. Let's try to keep the Borg as scary as possible.

--------------------
If God didn't want us to fly, he wouldn't have given us Bernoulli's Principle.

Chris StarShade
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sorry to burst your bubble, but I've been to so many dimensions it isn't even funny!

Spatial Dimensions, Temporal Dimensions, Cyber Dimensions, Mental Dimensions, Spiritual Dimensions, Corporeal Dimensions, Incorporeal Dimensions, etc. etc. etc.

I cannot be scared by the Borg, because I've seen it all before, and know it's weak spots... fwahahah!

Ready? Get set. Go! (injects biological virus into organic component while simultaneously infecting cybernetic component with the most insanely ingenious computer virus known to man)

HAHAH!

Now, what will you say to me?

Borg: You will be assima... general protection fault in borg.exe

IP: Logged
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps