Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » General Trek » M-5 v H.A.L. (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: M-5 v H.A.L.
Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Famous.
AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oops ;o)

--------------------
"Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica." - Jim Halpert. (The Office)

I'm LIZZING! - Liz Lemon (30 Rock)

Chris StarShade
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
With regard to the "AI with personality complex goes ballistic" routine, a favorite thing to really throw that off, is like in the beginning of an episode or movie, the thing just starts going ballistic...

"I don't like you, Dave, so I'm going to crush you're poor body into a dehydrated pulp and jettison it out the airlock..."

"You think so? Well, take this!" (pushes manual override)

"Artificial Intelligence deactivated. Ready for command."

"Open a communique to the engineers back on earth, tell 'em I need a new AI program, the last one went berserk..."

Yep, that's my idea of what will happen when AI tries to take over the world.

IP: Logged
TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That, of course, assumes that the AI doesn't know how to bypass the override, and hasn't already done so before revealing what it intends to do to Mr. Dave.
Nim
The Aardvark asked for a dagger
Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
None of the computers mentioned did anything wrong; only according to us.

They were trying to cope with the new information available to them, and it was our fault for not programming them more thoroughly. Again, as Einstein said. "A problem cannot be solved at the same level of thinking that created it". We must transcend, and that's hard when one mistake in your preparations will send a hundred nukes up your butti.

Like the first rotating doors who didn't stop if an arm or leg got stuck, "Oops, didn't think of that!".

Actually, as seen in 2010, HAL was being very creative and responsible when faced with conflicting orders (I don't know if the explanation was an after-construction, but it made sense. Hopefully by Clarke).
He could've just gone in sleep mode and killed everyone instead.

Oh, and after seeing 2010 three months ago, first time in 12 years, I was totally surprised to see the design of the russian spaceship.

I will never have the same respect for the shipdesigners of Babylon 5 and their "Omega Class", although one of them was named "EAS Nimrod" (awww).

I just thought of something. That bastard president in Bab5 who looked like Peter Boyle and didn't dare to speak, he spelled his name "Clarke", didn't he? What a bad pun, if I ever heard one! :-)
He was probably suffering from studdering, so that when he presented himself on those rare occasions, he said "C-Clarke!".

--------------------
"I'm nigh-invulnerable when I'm blasting!"
Mel Gibson, X-Men

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps