Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » General Trek » The TNG Year One DVD set (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: The TNG Year One DVD set
Spike
Pathetic Vampire
Member # 322

- posted      Profile for Spike     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I just saw at trek5.com that they have screenshots of "Mission Farpoint". Now my questions to everyone who already has the season 1 dvds: Is the video quality really that poor? Even the TOS screenshots are better and I would think that the video quality of TNG should be better than TOS.

--------------------
"Never give up. And never, under any circumstances, no matter what - never face the facts." - Ruth Gordon

Matrix
AMEAN McAvoy
Member # 376

- posted      Profile for Matrix     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mine is fine and I am using PS2 as a DVD player. (Hey it saves money since my little brother got it and he can only hook it up to my TV anyway).

But in all seriousness, I really don't see that much difference in quality over VHS or DVD. Unless you ae nitpicking the movie or something like "I see a 5, not a 4!" or "I can see Troi's nipple!"

--------------------
Matrix
If you say so
If you want so
Then do so

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I bought it! Hooray for me!

Uh, anyway, I haven't had a chance to watch it much yet, and probably won't for awhile; the little bit I did watch was on my friend's laptop, so I can't really address what the quality would look like on a television. But, from everything I've heard, the transfer is less clear than it could have been, but better than when the show was actually broadcast.

Austin Powers
Slightly warped
Member # 250

- posted      Profile for Austin Powers     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've got the region 2 version and have been watching eps for a couple of weeks now. I think that the quality is:
a) awful - compared to what DVDs are capable of
b) ok - compared to what the videos were like
c) better - compared to any of these eps as seen on TV

Overall I'm quite happy with the set. I especially like the extras - TPTB really showed care in arranging the bonus materials. That makes me long for the next season - I've already pre-ordered all of them... [Wink]

And if you have the french, italian and spanish language versions - listen to them, just for the fun of it. It can be hilarious at times, trust me.

--------------------
Lister: Don't give me the "Star Trek" crap! It's too early in the morning.
- Red Dwarf "The Last Day"

Harry
Stormwind City Guard
Member # 265

- posted      Profile for Harry     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I received the Region 2 box today. Looking good! The case is quite strong, but too bad someone had decided to put a hideously large sticker on it for some weird advertisement. It's still all dirty and sticky...

It's pretty thorough actually. They even cared to break up all eps into searchable chapters, and the menus are LCARS and cool.

But anyway.. if anyone has screencap requests, be my guest.

--------------------
Titan Fleet Yards | Memory Alpha

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"a) awful - compared to what DVDs are capable of"

To be fair, what are you comparing this too? TV shows made in the past couple of years, and films that were made at a higher resolution.

TNG season 1 does look fairly shit. The quality of the film seems to take a large upturn at the start of season 2, and then again for season 4. So later DVD sets should look better.

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Harry ... I wouldn't mind a screencap of the menu, actually.

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

Mikey T
Driven
Member # 144

- posted      Profile for Mikey T     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I saw that the Region 2 cases look better to the cardboard containers that the US version has.

--------------------
"It speaks to some basic human needs: that there is a tomorrow, it's not all going to be over with a big splash and a bomb, that the human race is improving, that we have things to be proud of as humans."
-Gene Roddenberry about Star Trek

Harry
Stormwind City Guard
Member # 265

- posted      Profile for Harry     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
http://harry2002.host.sk/dvdump/

There's a new section called TNG Season One (what a coincidence!). There's also a new screenshot (well, two actually) of Ilia in her Phase Two uniform.

--------------------
Titan Fleet Yards | Memory Alpha

Austin Powers
Slightly warped
Member # 250

- posted      Profile for Austin Powers     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
@ Psy: about the "a) awful"-comment. Of course I know you can't compare TV show to film quality. I just wanted to portray my first reaction to the episodes as seen on DVD.
That's also why I made a difference in a) b) and c). Actually I quite like the overall quality.

It's just that I was so used to top quality film DVDs (I've never bought any DVDs that hadn't been tested as top-grade) that it was a little disappointment to see the TNG picture quality. But as I said, it's far better that anything I have seen of TNG on TV.

--------------------
Lister: Don't give me the "Star Trek" crap! It's too early in the morning.
- Red Dwarf "The Last Day"

Mikey T
Driven
Member # 144

- posted      Profile for Mikey T     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well it does look better than when I first saw Season 1 episodes, which is nice. I love the tech stuff on how Mike Okuda created the LCARS and other things... maybe I could try making interior sets of the Prometheus based on what I saw in Cinema 4D.

--------------------
"It speaks to some basic human needs: that there is a tomorrow, it's not all going to be over with a big splash and a bomb, that the human race is improving, that we have things to be proud of as humans."
-Gene Roddenberry about Star Trek

Free ThoughtCrime America
Member # 480

- posted      Profile for Free ThoughtCrime America     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Boys, if you're looking to score these season sets, hit the pawn shops.

I just found and bought the Season One set for...get this...Twenty-two dollars.

That's right. Some poor bastard shelled out the hundred and ten bucks for this damn thing, and then sold it to a pawn shop, apparently to buy beer or crack or whatever, and here we are.

Looking it over, there are only minor dings on the covering...the DVD's are virtually flawless.

Pawn Shops rule. Crackheads rule too.

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps