Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » General Trek » Nemesis (spoilers)

Author Topic: Nemesis (spoilers)
Kosh
Perpetual Member
Member # 167

- posted      Profile for Kosh     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'll make some space for those who don't want to see what Stewart said in Sci_fi Weekly, which aint really much different from whats already been said.
$
$
$
$
$
$
$
$
$
$
$

$
$
quote:

Stewart Talks Nemesis Aliens
Patrick Stewart, who reprises the role of Capt. Jean-Luc Picard in the upcoming Star Trek: Nemesis movie, told TV Guide Online to expect some startling new aliens in the 10th Trek film. "Romulus has a sister planet called—of course, as you'd expect—Remus," Stewart told the site. "So you're going to meet the inhabitants of that planet, the Remans, who are quite unlike anything you've seen before."

Stewart added, "I think they might be the most successful aliens [makeup designer] Michael Westmore has ever produced. I even include the Borg in saying this. He's brought an alien race to life in an entirely convincing way. There's something very novel and unique in their design. They're imposing and sinister in a very different way from the Borg."

Nemesis also features other enticements, Stewart said. "There is romance, and there is also sex, but Picard is not involved in either," he said. Stewart added that he won't have a producer credit on this film, as he has on previous Trek movies. "Brent Spiner [Data] took my role this time, and he worked with [producer] Rick Berman and [writer] John Logan on the story," he said. "It's been a great thing for us to have a non-Star Trek writer. Logan [Gladiator] is a fine writer, but also a big fan of the TV series. He remembers the names of the episodes and so forth!" Nemesis opens in December.

Aren't the Romulans and the Remuns both supposed to be from Vulcan, and shouldn't they be Vulcanoid?

[Cool]

--------------------
Sparky::
Think!
Question Authority, Authoritatively.
“Believe nothing of what you hear, and only half of what you see.”
EMSparks

Shalamar:
To save face, keep lower half shut.

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, I don't think it's ever really been covered on screen. For all we know, the Romulans could've conquered the Remans when they moved in.
Kosh
Perpetual Member
Member # 167

- posted      Profile for Kosh     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
True enough. I don't really recall hearing the other planet mentioned outside of TOS.

Something I forgot in the first post:

http://www.sfw.com

I always like to include a link to the front page of ezine I've quoted.

[ April 19, 2002, 12:05: Message edited by: Kosh ]

--------------------
Think!
EMSparks

Shalamar:

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Did you just attempt to link to an e-mail?

And I think the reason everyone's assumed that Remus was populated simply by more Romulans is because both planets are supposed to be Romulan "homeworlds". I guess that's just another thing we'll have to file under "someone thought it was true, so they said it on screen, but they were wrong".

The_Tom
recently silent
Member # 38

- posted      Profile for The_Tom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Uh, from the pictures I saw, the Remans looked like fucked-up muta-Vulcans, but Vulcans nonetheless.

--------------------
"I was surprised by the matter-of-factness of Kafka's narration, and the subtle humor present as a result." (Sizer 2005)

The Vulcan
Member # 633

- posted      Profile for The Vulcan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just ignore the technicalities, especially the small ones, oids oids oids, big whoop... [Big Grin]

--------------------
Die please.

k, thx.

The Mighty Monkey of Mim
SUPPOSED TO HAVE ICE POWERS!!
Member # 646

- posted      Profile for The Mighty Monkey of Mim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It would seem that the Remans were a native race whom the Romulans conquered and used as slaves in the Dilithium mines. Or so the script would imply. They don't appear to be intended as some genetic variation on the Vulcan/Romulan species. They're a separate race. Since they evolved on Remus where there is always near-total darkness, they are well-adapted to see and live in the dark and are highly sensitive to light. The script describes them as "vampiric" and "bearing a striking resemblence to the original Noferatu."

Yes, I couldn't resist the temptation any longer. I read the damned script. I just couldn't wait all the way till December...

-MMoM [Big Grin]

[ April 18, 2002, 19:10: Message edited by: The Mighty Monkey of Mim ]

--------------------
The flaws we find most objectionable in others are often those we recognize in ourselves.

Timo
Member # 245

- posted      Profile for Timo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, the current timeline gives the Romulans 2000 years to mutate into Remans if that's what happened. It won't be your regular evolutionary change, not if a Vulcanoid generation is 50 years and thus only about 40 generations will pass... But the phenotype could quite plausibly change into "vampiric" even if the genotype doesn't. Or the Remans could have been generically modified to be better mining slaves.

From the few photos I've seen, the Remans don't differ from Vulcans/Romulans more than your average "caveman" or "wildman" differs from regular hero humans in a typical fantasy movie...

Timo Saloniemi

The Mighty Monkey of Mim
SUPPOSED TO HAVE ICE POWERS!!
Member # 646

- posted      Profile for The Mighty Monkey of Mim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Really?

-

Well, I suppose there is a *slight* resemblance. But, every reference in the script implies they are two separate races. (No, it doesn't state this specifically, but there is ABSOLUTELY NO implication that the Remans are decended from the Romulans.)

-MMoM [Big Grin]

--------------------
The flaws we find most objectionable in others are often those we recognize in ourselves.

capped
I WAS IN THE FUTURE, IT WAS TOO LATE TO RSVP
Member # 709

- posted      Profile for capped     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
although cross breeding with Remans might explain where the Romulans got funny foreheads and rounder ears (resembling those of the Remans)

--------------------
"Are you worried that your thoughts are not quite.. clear?"

Kosh
Perpetual Member
Member # 167

From that picture I think they look more like the Drazi then they do the Vulcans.

[Cool]

[ April 19, 2002, 09:21: Message edited by: Kosh ]

--------------------
Think!
EMSparks

Shalamar:

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't see the least bit of resemblance aside from the fact that their ears are pointed. And I doubt Vulcans were the only race to evolve pointy ears (e.g. the "Vulcanoid" Mintakans).
The_Tom
recently silent
Member # 38

- posted      Profile for The_Tom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Tim: Evidently you missed the Romulanoid V-ridges on the brow.

Shave a Romulan's head and beat them with an ugly stick and I think you'd get something a bit like what's in the picture.

--------------------
"I was surprised by the matter-of-factness of Kafka's narration, and the subtle humor present as a result." (Sizer 2005)

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

Well, okay. Maybe the generic 'V' shape is sort of like the Romulan ridges. But the incredible proliferation of ridges among Trek aliens causes that to not necessarily mean much.

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps