Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums
Topic Closed  Topic Closed
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » General Trek » "The Voyager Conspiracy" (Page 2)

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   
Author Topic: "The Voyager Conspiracy"
The First One
A lovely little thinker, but a bugger when he's pissed
Member # 35

- posted      Profile for The First One         Edit/Delete Post 
Actually, you SHOULD put a spoiler warning in just in case. Otherwise I'll get angry, and you don't want that. Believe me, you don't.
TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just in case what? Somebody w/ a brain the size of a mulberry doesnt realize that a thread entitled "'The Voyager Conspiracy'" is about the episode "The Voyager Conspiracy"? In a case like that, I'm rather certain a couple of dollar signs won't make any difference. The purpose of spoiler warnings is to let people know that an episode is being spoiled when they wouldn't know otherwise. Telling someone to put dollar signs by the episode title is about as daft as complaining about the lack of dollar signs in a title that has the word "spoilers" in it. '$' is not the one and only way to warn of spoilers. It's merely a shorthand peculiar to this board and (to a lesser extent) its users elsewhere. An episode title is just as much a spoiler warning as a dollar sign or the word "spoilers".

</rant>

------------------
"General Hammond: Request permission to beat the crap out of this man."
-Colonel O'Neill, Stargate: SG-1: "Bane"

[This message has been edited by TSN (edited November 26, 1999).]

The First One
Member # 35

People are stupid. Just as some people will look in a thread that might contain spoilers just because of the title, so people in North America often forget that not EVERYONE's seen an ep just because it was only on a week ago.

What I want is for people to get into the habit of putting up spoiler warnings, NO MATTER WHAT. I want them to think first.

So, put up a spoiler warning whenever possible, or else. Does that sound like a threat? Good, because it is.

Black Knight
Member # 134

- posted      Profile for Black Knight     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You can get full synopsis of every episode here: http://www.reviewboy.com/

------------------
Quark-"Stop. Or I'll disintigrate this hostage."

20th Century General-"With Your Finger?"

Quark-"With my death ray."

20th Century General-"Looks alot like a finger to me."

The First One
Member # 35

THANK you, Knightychops. Finally someone telling us what the episode is about - I believe someone else did ask, and got no reply. *goes to look* 8)
TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If somebody is stupid to their own detriment, I really couldn't care less. Let them be spoiled.

And my point was that he did put up a spoiler warning. The episode title is, in and of itself, a spoiler warning. I really hate when people insist that something be done one, and only one, specific way, regardless of the fact that other ways are no worse or better.

------------------
"Is he live or dead? Has he thoughts within his head?"
-Black Sabbath, "Iron Man"

Hobbes
 Homicidal Psycho Jungle Cat 
Member # 138

- posted      Profile for Hobbes     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I didn't put $'s on purpose because I felt it wasn't necessary in this case. But putting the title of the episode in the thread title you should easily relize that if you haven't seen the episode this thread would contain spoiler information. Spelling it out would be extremely redundant.

------------------
Calvin: "I'm a man of few words."
Hobbes: "Maybe if you read more, you'd have a larger vocabulary."
Federation Starship Datalink - Starship site of the new millennium.

The First One
Member # 35

Yeah, that's tight. Let us be spoiled. After all, it's our own fault we don't live in the Land of the Free, and we're all going to be nuked by you one day anyway, so why bother?

Redundancy is good. In this case, as you can see, I haven't altered the thread title because it IS obvious. And Hobbes says he did think beforehand about spoiler warnings, so that's good enough for me - this time.

Just remember: think before you post.

Jim Phelps
watches Voyager AFTER 51030
Member # 102

- posted      Profile for Jim Phelps     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
First One has a point. In order to be able to recognize a NEW episode title, one has to be familiar with every single episode title in the last five years. Not everybody reads episode guides on a daily basis, it's just something we can look up.

And it might be a good idea to keep the language down a bit.

Boris

------------------
"Wrong again. Although we want to be scientifically accurate, we've found that selection of [Photon Energy Plasma Scientifically Inaccurate as a major Star Trek format error] usually indicates a preoccupation with science and gadgetry over people and story."

---a Writers' Test from the Original Series Writer's Guide

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

Lee: No, it's your fault if you go into a thread titled w/ the name of an episode you haven't seen. Where you live has no bearing on that.

Boris: If somebody doesn't recognize the episode title, a few dollar signs won't make any difference. They still won't know if they've seen it or not.

------------------

Alshrim Dax
Member # 258

- posted      Profile for Alshrim Dax     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Holy ....
------------------
Alshrim Dax

[This message has been edited by Alshrim Dax (edited November 29, 1999).]

Alshrim Dax
Member # 258

- posted      Profile for Alshrim Dax     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Listen.. I didn't mean to cause such a kafuffle!!!!

I've gotten into the habit, for the sake of some people in the UK, or Australia of putting $$$ 's in my titles if I think there's a possibility of there being spoilers.

If you don't wanna put Spoiler indicators in the title... don't. It's no big deal. For those in europe and Australia, they are one year behind in episodes.. maybe some one.. even if for one person .. won't know what the latest episode is. We can't expect EVERYONE to be as up to date as we are.. that's all I was trying to say.

TSN: I see your point.. and to some degree I agree with you, don't get me wrong.

Hobbes: I meant no disrespect, nor was I trying to by Holier Than Thou, or a know it all.

And for the record, I will say that no-one is stupid .. maybe behind, or ignorant!!! We are all human, and if someone wants to go into a thread where they know the ep will be spoiled, then so be it... they were fore-warned. It takes two more seconds when generating the topic for the thread, and keeps everyone happy! Topics like this won't get ruined because of a 'Maybe we should; maybe we shouldn't' discussion that is completely off topic.

There's no point in going on about this anymore. As I've said, I didn't want it to blow like this... I apologize if I've offended anyone ... such was not my intention!

Peace, love and harmony to everyone ...

In the Words of LT.Commander Data to Mr.Worf:
"Worf, I'm sorry if I have ended our friendship!"

------------------
Alshrim Dax

Elim Garak
Plain and simple
Member # 14

- posted      Profile for Elim Garak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
And Monty... What's a kafuffle?

------------------
Elim Garak: "Oh, it's just Garak. Plain, simple Garak. Now, good day to you, Doctor. I'm so glad to have made such an... interesting new friend today." (DS9: "Past Prologue")

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

Believe me, I'm not saying there shouldn't be spoiler warnings. I'm just saying that, if there already is a spoiler warning (in the form of the episode's title), there's no reason to also put dollar signs, or whatever. That's all I'm saying.

------------------

The First One
Member # 35

Actually, Boris has an excellent point. How can people know that it's an episode they haven't seen before? You don't GET Voyager, Tim, have you seen some of the bloody stupid titles they use? There was an ep on last night on Sky - "Fair Trade." The one-sentence synopsis made it clear it's one I've seen, but the title meant nothing to me whatsoever.

Or look at it another way - many of us have opined that no-one could accidentally produce the kind of pap that now features on Voyager, therefore they must be doing it deliberately. You could call it a conspiracy at Paramount/UPN - let's call it "The Voyager Conspiracy." I could start a thread with this title in all innocence, never dreaming the confusion it would cause.

And you expect everyone who visits to be able to run through this in their minds (to, in effect, have a handy episode list) before entering a thread? Christ, and they say I'M nasty to new members. . .

No, this ends here. I'm pulling rank. Put a spoiler warning in, or you're fucked.

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   

Open Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps