Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums
Topic Closed  Topic Closed
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » General Trek » "The Voyager Conspiracy" (Page 3)

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   
Author Topic: "The Voyager Conspiracy"
Kosh
Perpetual Member
Member # 167

- posted      Profile for Kosh     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
$$$ have been a tradition since I've been here, regardeless of the threads title. If I se a title without $$ then I think we have a discussion of the ep without giving away details.

------------------
Fool of a Took, throw yourself in next time!!
Gandalf

Charles Capps
We appreciate your concern.
It is noted and stupid.
Member # 9

- posted      Profile for Charles Capps     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just to back this up...

YOU WILL PLACE THE $$$$ SPOILER SYMBOLS IN A THREAD TITLE IF THERE IS A POSSIBILITY OF IT CONTAINING SPOILERS. Even better, also mention the season number.

------------------
Jubes, holding dinner: "What will you give me for the food?"
Me: "My virginity..."

Alshrim Dax
Member # 258

- posted      Profile for Alshrim Dax     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
In a meek voice:
"I was just trying to be friendly"

Kafuffle: (noun) Meaning: Ummm.. not sure either!!

------------------
Alshrim Dax

[This message has been edited by Alshrim Dax (edited November 29, 1999).]

Elim Garak
Plain and simple
Member # 14

- posted      Profile for Elim Garak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Alshrim: Well, it's just that I've heard it has different meanings in Scotland.

------------------
Elim Garak: "Oh, it's just Garak. Plain, simple Garak. Now, good day to you, Doctor. I'm so glad to have made such an... interesting new friend today." (DS9: "Past Prologue")

Jim Phelps
watches Voyager AFTER 51030
Member # 102

- posted      Profile for Jim Phelps     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
TSN: I agree, a few spoiler signs won't make a difference unless we agree that they refer to North American air dates. If an episode does -not- contain spoiler signs, than it's most likely one seen in the US at least a week ago, and as far as I remember, such episodes have historically been fair discussion.

Maybe this needs to change. Here is a suggestion:

1) Determine the percentages of members living in each country represented on these forums.

2) Determine the time gap between U.S. airdates and those of every respective country.

3) Take a weighted average of these timegaps to determine the time (following U.S. airdate) during which the spoiler signs should be applied. Weighted average is the one teachers use to average assignments of different point-values.

Examples (fake):

Germany = 1 year gap, 90% members German
Canada = 0.3 year gap, 10% Canadian
U.S. = 0 year gap, 1% US.

Therefore, spoiler signs need to be applied for 0.90*1 + 0.10*0.3 + 0.01 * 0 = 0.93 years following a U.S. airdate.

Boris

[This message has been edited by Boris (edited November 29, 1999).]

Masao
doesn't like you either
Member # 232

- posted      Profile for Masao     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Boris, if you post spoiler warnings for 0.93 year, each German will inadvertantly read a spoiler 0.07 year before the episode airs in Germany. After waiting so long to see the episode, these Germans would probably be upset.

------------------
When you're in the Sol system, come visit the Starfleet Museum

The Vorlon
Member # 52

- posted      Profile for The Vorlon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'd say for the majority of Canadians, it's a 0.0 to 0.01 gap. It ranges anywhere between right at the same time to 6 days.

------------------
Sheridan: "Well, as answers go, short, to the point, utterly useless and totally consistant with what I've come to expect from a Vorlon..."
Kosh: "Good."
Sheridan: "I REALLY hate it when you do that..."
Kosh: "Good."

SapphireEclipse Productions
http://sapphireeclipse.virtualave.net/

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
How wonderful to know that the monarchy has chosen to rule on this... >:-<

So, this example of how "The Voyager Conspiracy" could be about something other than that episode. Okay, I'll buy that. But, if I title a thread "The Voyager Conspiracy" because it is about the vast UPN conspiracy to make VOY suck, and I put in a '$', because there are references to episodes that I don't know if you've seen or not, you'll think it's about the episode "The Voayger Conspiracy", when it isn't.

And, to use your other example... If I title a thread "'Fair Trade'", you'll have to go check whether or not you've seen it. If I title the same thread "'Fair Trade' $", you'll still have to check whether or not you've seen it.

Oh, and I do get VOY now...

------------------
"Is he live or dead? Has he thoughts within his head?"
-Black Sabbath, "Iron Man"

Aethelwer
Frank G
Member # 36

- posted      Profile for Aethelwer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You know, how are new users supposed to know that the $ denotes a spoiler? It's mostly new users we're protecting in the first place, since I don't think there are many people on the forums currently who don't read spoilers. And, by Lee's reasoning, those users should all be posting in this thread about now, since they all read this thread and became enraged when they noticed the spoilers.

------------------
Frank's Home Page
"Ou tou kratountos h� polis nomizetai" - Creon

The First One
A lovely little thinker, but a bugger when he's pissed
Member # 35

- posted      Profile for The First One         Edit/Delete Post 
So put in ($poilers$). Or whatever. Show some f***ing initiative, for crying out loud. 8)
Alshrim Dax
Member # 258

- posted      Profile for Alshrim Dax     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've been coming to these Forums since it was UFP1 at Simplenet !! Back then they used to have an appendix for newbies so that one can learn what the misc. symbols meant.

And Elim Garak: I used Kafuffle in the context that I didn't mean to cause such a mess or uproar.

------------------
Alshrim Dax

[This message has been edited by Alshrim Dax (edited November 30, 1999).]

Kosh
Perpetual Member
Member # 167

- posted      Profile for Kosh     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
England is about a year behind us in seasons of trek, I think. Some places I noticed, are even further, like a year and a half.

As for newbies, it took me only a day or two to figure out what $$$ meant. I had to ask what TTYL, BTW, and IMHO meant. And IIRC

------------------
Fool of a Took, throw yourself in next time!!
Gandalf

Elim Garak
Plain and simple
Member # 14

- posted      Profile for Elim Garak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Alshrim: I know.

------------------
Elim Garak: "Oh, it's just Garak. Plain, simple Garak. Now, good day to you, Doctor. I'm so glad to have made such an... interesting new friend today." (DS9: "Past Prologue")

Jim Phelps
watches Voyager AFTER 51030
Member # 102

- posted      Profile for Jim Phelps     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
And ROTFL (Return of the Fett Leia)

And ROTFLAMAO (Return of the Fett Leia, Anakin, Maul And Owen)

Boris

------------------
"Wrong again. Although we want to be scientifically accurate, we've found that selection of [Photon Energy Plasma Scientifically Inaccurate as a major Star Trek format error] usually indicates a preoccupation with science and gadgetry over people and story."

---a Writers' Test from the Original Series Writer's Guide

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Initiative, eh? Okay, I'm going to show initiative by refusing to use the dollar sign as a symbol for "spoiler"... :-)

------------------
"Is he live or dead? Has he thoughts within his head?"
-Black Sabbath, "Iron Man"

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   

Open Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps