Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums
Topic Closed  Topic Closed
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » General Trek » Paris and Locarno (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Paris and Locarno
Saltah'na
Chinese Canadian, or 75% Commie Bastard.
Member # 33

- posted      Profile for Saltah'na     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
One thing that has always bugged me since the start of Voyager is the character of Tom Paris.

For those who may not remember, Robert Duncan McNeil (Paris) also played a Cadet in ST:TNG- "The First Duty". In it, McNeil plays Cadet Nicholas Locarno, leader of Nova Squadron in which Wesley took part. He was expelled after a coverup involving a death of another crew member.

Seeing that they would be using an actor who previously played another character in another series, why not use that same character in the NEW series, instead of creating a completely different character?

Look at it this way: both Locarno and Paris were involved in the deaths of fellow members of Starfleet, and both were disgraced from Starfleet itself. It would be a simple matter of transposing one character to another. What's the use of a completely new character?

Beats me. Comments?

------------------
I can resist anything.......
Except Temptation

Montgomery
Reigning Supreme
Member # 23

- posted      Profile for Montgomery     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
As I recall, this was considered. The Locarno character was felt to be "too irredeemable", and perhaps too much of a smug git. Paris committed a perhaps similar crime, but in his case it made him impulsive, foolhardy and cynical.

The use of the Locarno character also would have involved a very, very grave risk....

Flashbacks involving Wesley "The boy!" Crusher. :-O

------------------
"You don't need eyes to see; you need VISION"
- Faithless / Reverence

Aethelwer
Frank G
Member # 36

- posted      Profile for Aethelwer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
IIRC, the original intention was in fact to use Locarno, but they decided not to, probably for the reasons Monty mentioned.

------------------
Frank's Home Page
John Linnell: "This song is called...it's called..."
Audience: "Louisiana! Montana!"
John Linnell: Don't tell me what it's called..."

Individual 5748
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
I once read somewhere that the reason they didn't use Locarno was because they didn't like the name. However, this person may have just been saying this sarcastically.

------------------
"Questions, comments, bring them to me. Problems, take them to Kinis."

IP: Logged
Elim Garak
Plain and simple
Member # 14

- posted      Profile for Elim Garak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
They never intended to use Locarno. They originally described the character that would become Paris as "Locarno-like ('The First Duty')" but nothing more (source: A Vision of the Future: Star Trek: Voyager). Incidentally, they ended up casting Robert McNeill, but he had to audition and had some competition.
Orion Syndicate
He's not the messiah, he's a very naughty boy!
Member # 25

- posted      Profile for Orion Syndicate     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I remember reading somewhere that they were going to use Locarno, but for some reason they pulled back at the last minute. It probably was the fact that what he did was irredeemable. Locarno was an excellent pilot, so is Paris so the character is basically the same. If Nick Locarno had been used, the character development would probably have been the same - his relationship with Harry, B'Elanna especially and with the rest of the crew.

------------------
Whenever people agree with me, I always feel I must be wrong.

Saltah'na
Chinese Canadian, or 75% Commie Bastard.
Member # 33

- posted      Profile for Saltah'na     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Orion: That is exactly my idea. Had they used Locarno's Character, it would have made for some nice continuity and stuff. His character as of "The First Duty" is still too underdeveloped to be considered as "irredeemable" IMHO.

------------------
I can resist anything.......
Except Temptation

Elim Garak
Plain and simple
Member # 14

- posted      Profile for Elim Garak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Did your information come from official source material and interviews?

It would have been interesting but rather similar to having Miles O'Brien on DS9. I like how Voyager didn't reuse characters from TNG, except in guest spots.

Orion Syndicate
He's not the messiah, he's a very naughty boy!
Member # 25

- posted      Profile for Orion Syndicate     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I don't think they could reuse any of the characters because the mission was far too different to anything the others were doing. There was talk of Jonathan Frakes getting the job thus having Riker as captain, but they decided to be politically correct and give Genevieve Bujold the job and then Kate Mulgrew once Ms Bujold decided it wasn't for her.

With regards to O'Brien being on DS9, I would have liked to see more storylines regarding him and the Cardassians. There were some, but I don't think they developed it as much as they could have done. He made constant references to Setlik 3 and he was charged with treason against the Cardassian empire, but that was about it. It would have been interesting to see what they could have done, just like Worf and his standing in the Klingon empire.

------------------
Whenever people agree with me, I always feel I must be wrong.

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Erm... How could he be charged w/ treason against the Cardassians? He's not a Cardassian, nor even a citizen of the Cardassian Union.

------------------
Col. Maybourne: "Teal'c... It's good to see you well."
Teal'c: "In my culture, I would be well within my rights to dismember you."
-Stargate SG-1: "Touchstone"

Kosh
Perpetual Member
Member # 167

- posted      Profile for Kosh     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Probly something he did in the first war against the Cardassians.

I remember reading an interview with McNiel at the Great Link, that said what Elim said about Lacarno.

Lacarno was booted from Starfleet during TNG anyway.

------------------
Fool of a Took, throw yourself in next time!!
Gandalf

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Kosh: My point is that a person can only commit treason, by definition, against someone to whom they owe allegiance. If O'Brien did something to the Cardassians, it might be espionage, or something, but it couldn't possibly be treason.

------------------

Omega
Some other beginning's end
Member # 91

- posted      Profile for Omega     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Perhaps the Cardassians are so arrogant as to believe that EVERYONE owes them allegiance.

------------------
You are wise, witty, and wonderful, but you spend far too much time reading this sort of trash.

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
"Wait a minute, I'm not a citizen! You can't possibly convict me of treason if I'm not a citizen!"

"Yeah, yeah...tell it to the judge, buddy."

"But...you ARE the judge."

"Oh? In that case, bite me."

Cardassian justice.

------------------
"20th Century, go to sleep."
--
R.E.M.

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

Well, that's true...

------------------

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Open Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps