Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums
Topic Closed  Topic Closed
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » General Trek » Paris and Locarno (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Paris and Locarno
Orion Syndicate
He's not the messiah, he's a very naughty boy!
Member # 25

- posted      Profile for Orion Syndicate     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Was it treason? I thought it was - what was the episode where they have that old friend of O'Brien (but really a Cardie) come on DS9 and entrap him?

------------------
Whenever people agree with me, I always feel I must be wrong.

Nim
The Aardvark asked for a dagger
Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
"Tribunal". O'Brien intends to go on a vacation with Keiko when he meets an old friend who is in fact a cardassian masquerading as O'Brien's old friend.
The guy hides photon torpedoes in O'Brien's runabout without him knowing. So a nice Hideki-class patrol ship (my first sighting of...) stops Miles and he gets thrown into prison pending execution, being charged as a maquis-collaborator, I think.

------------------
An arboretum? On the Defiant?
If you were any other man I would kill you where you stand!

(Worf "The Last Straw")

Omega
Some other beginning's end
Member # 91

- posted      Profile for Omega     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
One thing I never got about that ep: why in the galaxy was the Federation worrying about how to defend O'Brian at a trial that, by design, he can't win? They entered Federation space without permission, forcibly boarded a military craft, abducted a military officer, and harrassed another Federation citizin. You don't worry about how to defend him at his unfair trial. First you ask for him back, then you demand him back, then you forcibly retrieve him.

------------------
You are wise, witty, and wonderful, but you spend far too much time reading this sort of trash.

Timo
Member # 245

- posted      Profile for Timo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The O'Briens probably weren't in Federation space when they were captured. After all, Bajor supposedly is far away from the Federation, at least relatively speaking.
And the runabout was traveling at impulse. Perhaps the O'Briens were still within the Bajoran system, trying to steer clear of the star or something? *Bajoran* demands for prisoner extradition from Cardassia would surely fall on deaf ears.

The distance from Bajor to possible Fed reinforcements may also have been a factor in Starfleet not trying to effect a jailbreak for the Chief. There may simply not have been enough time. Whatever transportation Sisko had at the end of the episode to arrive to the trial in time, it must have been really fast (and really clandestine)...

Timo Saloniemi

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If if they were in Bajoran space, the Cardassians had no right to take them. The Feds would still be able to use the ask/demand/take strategy.

------------------
Col. Maybourne: "Teal'c... It's good to see you well."
Teal'c: "In my culture, I would be well within my rights to dismember you."
-Stargate SG-1: "Touchstone"

Orion Syndicate
He's not the messiah, he's a very naughty boy!
Member # 25

- posted      Profile for Orion Syndicate     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This was just a trial to show the Cardassians that their justice system works, and what better way to achieve this than to kill a Federation citizen under their legal system. It didn't matter who it was, as long as they had a history of hating the 'Cardies' and din't hide the fact. This would convince the public even more that he deserves to die. O'Brien was just unlucky.

------------------
Democracy simply means the bludgeoning of the people, by the people and for the people.

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Open Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps