Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums
Topic Closed  Topic Closed
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » General Trek » VAdmiral Janeway (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: VAdmiral Janeway
Spike
Pathetic Vampire
Member # 322

- posted      Profile for Spike     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
In "Coda" Janeway's Father wore the new Starfleet insigna, although he died in the 2350's. Any solutions for this problem?

------------------
"No matter where you go, there you are."

Hobbes
 Homicidal Psycho Jungle Cat 
Member # 138

- posted      Profile for Hobbes     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The crack genius writers that don't miss a beat and.... oh wait, Voyager writers. The same guy that thinks continunity isn't important and us Trekkies have too much time on our hands-Brannon Braga.

------------------
"Tigers are mean! Tigers are fierce! Tigers have teeth and claws that pierce!"
Federation Starship Datalink - On that annoying Tripod server, sucks don't it?

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I really hate to get in the way of everyone's baseless attacks, but does anyone find it just a little bit odd that we're assuming that the writers inserted this instruction into the script: "Janeway's dad must wear modern insignia. This is top priority."

Just for future reference, writers don't dress people up. They also don't do makeup, hairstyling, or control the rate at which our planet spins about its axis. Hard to believe, I know, but true.

------------------
"What did it mean to fly? A tremor in your soul. To resist the dull insistance of gravity."
--
Camper Van Beethoven

Hobbes
 Homicidal Psycho Jungle Cat 
Member # 138

- posted      Profile for Hobbes     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, you're right. This time it wasn't their fault, costume deptment. I see the error of my ways.

------------------
"Tigers are mean! Tigers are fierce! Tigers have teeth and claws that pierce!"
Federation Starship Datalink - On that annoying Tripod server, sucks don't it?

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, the costumers wouldn't really know. They just use whatever insignia they're told to. The blame goes to the continuity checkers, if VOY even has those anymore. Probably to Braga, too, since he's the incarnation of anti-continuity.

------------------
me: "I need a new sig..."
CC: "Well create one."
-why I don't have a real signature

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Besides, how can we not blame Braga? I think that's in the charter for this Forum.

------------------
"What did it mean to fly? A tremor in your soul. To resist the dull insistance of gravity."
--
Camper Van Beethoven

Harry
Stormwind City Guard
Member # 265

- posted      Profile for Harry     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Aaarrrggghh, The Anti-Trek has arisen!

------------------
"When You're Up to Your Ass in Alligators, Today Is the First Day of the Rest of Your Life."
-- Management slogan, Ridcully-style (Terry Pratchett, The Last Continent, Discworld)
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Prakesh's Star Trek Site

Elim Garak
Plain and simple
Member # 14

- posted      Profile for Elim Garak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
At least Sol has some sense.

Braga had nothing to do with "Coda" (except that he was probably present at the beat meeting, but it's not as if they decide costuming at those, anyway). Check the episode credits. It was Taylor who both wrote and executive-produced the script. If you want a scape-goat, at least find one that makes sense. *insert smiley of eyes rolling upwards*

The costuming and make-up departments, like the FX department, are responsible for knowing the script and how the aliens/guest stars should look and be dressed. The writer-producers don't always intentionally baby these professionals, you know.

And guess what! They messed up with the costume for Jack Crusher in "Family", too. I suppose that was Braga, though, too, considering he wasn't even on staff at the time.

Sorry if this sounds snide, but I'm fed up with any excuse to bash Braga or Voyager.

------------------
"Warning: The contents of this Physics lab are 100% matter. Should the lab come in contact with antimatter in any way, a catastrophic explosion will occur."

[This message has been edited by Elim Garak (edited April 02, 2000).]

Dat
Huh?
Member # 302

- posted      Profile for Dat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well they did explain Jack Crusher. The commbadge design was changed into the ellipse version while the uniform hadn't been changed yet. That seems plausible. Vice Admiral Janeway was just a total screwup. The guy died before the change into the current commnadge design.

------------------
7 alarm clock: "Do not touch me."
Dilbert: "Then how do I turn you off?"
7: "Believe me, I am plenty turned off."

Elim Garak
Plain and simple
Member # 14

- posted      Profile for Elim Garak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Who says that the Admiralty didn't get the new insignia beforehand, much like there were different insignias on TOS?

And, in any case, the entire ordeal was basically just in Janeway's mind.

------------------
"Warning: The contents of this Physics lab are 100% matter. Should the lab come in contact with antimatter in any way, a catastrophic explosion will occur."

Obi Juan
Who's your master?
Member # 90

- posted      Profile for Obi Juan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
For one, because we saw a whole load of Admirals wearing the standard elliptical symbol for the seven years before the symbol was changed. I have to say that was a pretty obvious screwup to let slip by. They went to some effort to find an older (though not the first TNG) admiral's uniform, but slapped a modern combadge on there. I always figured that 1)perhaps props had lost or trashed all of the old combadges or 2)The prop guy was smoking crack that day.

Crusher's combadge in "Family" was a mistake? I had always thought that they intended it to be that way. It was the latest appearance of the movie era uniforms, they could have very easily switched over in the ten or so years from "yesterdays Enterprise" to the time crusher made the recording.

Elim Garak
Plain and simple
Member # 14

Ron Moore said that the comm badge for "Family" was a mistake, and it was all they could find.

------------------

Dat
Huh?
Member # 302

- posted      Profile for Dat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Crusher's commbadge was a mistake in the view of producing an episode, but a plausible explanation for the fictional universe was given and that I can accept.

------------------
7 alarm clock: "Do not touch me."
Dilbert: "Then how do I turn you off?"
7: "Believe me, I am plenty turned off."

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sorry about the Braga-bashing, but, when you screw things up as much as he has, you get blamed before everyone else. Especially since he's on record as giving much less than a shit about continuity. I also saw a quote from someone else (maybe Joe Menosky?) saying that the producers/writers/whatever actually go out of their way to disregard previous canon if it fits their purpose. Idiots...

------------------
"Good. I'll look forward to your report, Mr. Broccoli."
-Capt. Jean-Luc Picard, TNG: "Hollow Pursuits"

Mikey T
Driven
Member # 144

- posted      Profile for Mikey T     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I can't believe this...damnit!!! I just watched an old Voyager episode with the Pralor robots. Belanna mentions Data in that episode... I miss that kind of continuity, where the hell did it go? Is Braga a Star Wars fan who got a Star Trek gig?

------------------
"Life's a bitch, then you die"
-USS Vanderbilt, Vanderbuilt Class starship

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Open Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps