Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums
Topic Closed  Topic Closed
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » Other Television Shows » And the Emmy for lowest-quality screencap goes to... (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: And the Emmy for lowest-quality screencap goes to...
The_Tom
recently silent
Member # 38

- posted      Profile for The_Tom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
TrekZone.de (that German website that got their hands on the internal UPN promo) decided to let a little more leak today, releasing screengrabs of what they say is a Suliban, a phase pistol, and the Enterprise transporter room.

And boy do they ever suck.

Not the content of the picutres, but the quality of the screengrabs. I've seen better looking desktop icons.

Anyway, hold your nose and check them out

Exhibit A: Phase Pistol

This is apparently right from the scene where Reed first unveils these puppies and explains the entire Stun/Kill dealy, so we can be pretty sure that this is indeed the genuine article.

Interestingly, it looks like it could be different to the gun in the snow. Perhaps that's an earlier-model (laser?) gun that's used earlier in the episode? Lee?

Exhibit B: Unidentified Alien

While the TrekZone folks admit that it's not really made clear in the promo what this dude is, they're pretty sure it's a Suliban.

I'm not so big a fan of the Sultana look, (to complement the Raisin aliens from Voyager, I guess ). But given that the quality is such shite I'll reserve judgement till later. The Suliban are meant to change color like Chamelons, so that might make them look a little less, um, icky.

Exhibit C: Transporter Room

A pretty narrow shot, and the shite-for-colors that the screengab has really makes it look quite wonky. We've got someone on the left, a goldshirt to the right and a console in the btoom center. But what's the middle meant to be, shiny-shiny metal or empty space or lighting or what?

Anyway, here's the source (in German). FWIW, the Babelfishese translation is reasonably comical.

[ July 28, 2001: Message edited by: The_Tom ]

--------------------
"I was surprised by the matter-of-factness of Kafka's narration, and the subtle humor present as a result." (Sizer 2005)

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Actually ...

Well, I think the transporter room looks kind of cool. Certainly not as "dressy" as the later shows, but not even as nice-looking as TOS, which ... well, I don't know.

I just like it.

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

Obese Penguin
Doomsayer
Member # 271

- posted      Profile for Obese Penguin     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The phase pistol looks like the B5 PPGs. But it does appear to be wider and a bit larger.

I like it , not over sized , not to small etc
I would have been happier if they still had some slug shooting weapons , maybe as their heavy weapon they have something like that sniper rifle from Ds9 , of course without the shoot through the walls feature

Do you think these things shoot in Beams or in Bolts?

--------------------
My Mother never found the irony in calling me a son of a bitch

Siegfried
Fullmetal Pompatus
Member # 29

- posted      Profile for Siegfried     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, if it weren't for the fact that all of the Voyager sets were decimated at the end of the series run, I'd say that it looks like the Enterprise transporter room is a redress of the Astrometrics Lab set.

The phase pistol looks pretty cool. I like that it does resemble a true sidearm like the TOS phasers. Not too small and not too bulky. I'd say that the phase pistols fire beams simply because that's what all of the small firearms in the Trek series have done. Of course, they could make these fire pulses just to spite me.

--------------------
The philosopher's stone. Those who possess it are no longer bound by the laws of equivalent exchange in alchemy. They gain without sacrifice and create without equal exchange. We searched for it, and we found it.

Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, actually, the down-the-barrel view looks very similar to the gun-in-the-snow view. An obvious muzzle surrounded by some kind of sheath (oo-er) or jacket. However, Bakula looks really fake in this new shot, and the side view seems hard to relate to the forward view.

So. . . wait and see. I'm very amused at its similarity to a PPG, makes me feel at least slightly vindicated when I said that the look of the show would hearken back to EarthForce!

As for firing effects, pulse/bolt would be cooler but beam is more logical and fits continuity.As if that'd matter. 8)

And, I will have the Enterrpsie weapons page up this week, haven't had much time, problems at work, moving house, you know. . .

--------------------
Never mind the Phlox - Here's the Phase Pistols

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
"I'd say that the phase pistols fire beams simply because that's what all of the small firearms in the Trek series have done."

Huh? Klingon firearms fire pules. Or do you mean Starfleet weapons? The rifles occasionally fire pulses, do they count as small firearms?

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

Siegfried
Fullmetal Pompatus
Member # 29

- posted      Profile for Siegfried     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sorry, I meant to say Starfleet handheld phasers, not the rifles or Klingon sidearms.

And, as I was thinking about it, what did The Original Series shoot? I remember seeing beams part of the time, but then I remember a few instances where nothing came out of the phaser at all. We'd see the trigger pressed, and then an aura of blue/green/whatever color around the person and they'd fall down or vaporize. Hmmm...

--------------------
The philosopher's stone. Those who possess it are no longer bound by the laws of equivalent exchange in alchemy. They gain without sacrifice and create without equal exchange. We searched for it, and we found it.

The359
The bitch is back
Member # 37

- posted      Profile for The359     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It looks like Decker's pistol from Blade Runner to me...

--------------------
"Lotta people go through life doing things badly. Racing's important to men who do it well. When you're racing, it's life. Anything that happens before or after is just waiting."

-Steve McQueen as Michael Delaney, LeMans

Harry
Stormwind City Guard
Member # 265

- posted      Profile for Harry     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The shiny thing in the transporter pic is some kind of container which the two guys are carrying. (Trust me, I turned up the brightness 200%)

--------------------
Titan Fleet Yards | Memory Alpha

Mikey T
Driven
Member # 144

- posted      Profile for Mikey T     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It looks like the container that Janeway took out that First Contact phaser rifle in that episode with the macrovirus. And are you sure that all the sets of Voyager was destroyed? I mean they do recycle things for the movies and next series.
PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
All sets that are used in the movies have always been "up" when that movie was made (The TNG sets in STV and VI, the DS9/VOY sets in VII and VIII).

"I remember seeing beams part of the time, but then I remember a few instances where nothing came out of the phaser at all. We'd see the trigger pressed, and then an aura of blue/green/whatever color around the person and they'd fall down or vaporize."

"Assignment: Earth". Kirk shoots Gary Seven in the transporter room. No beam is visible (although, IIRC, the phaser muzzle might flash).

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

Hobbes
 Homicidal Psycho Jungle Cat 
Member # 138

- posted      Profile for Hobbes     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I like this phaser, I'm sorry, phase pistol. Mostly I'm getting sick of the current Type-II phaser which is simply getting streched out longer and longer. The lengthened handle and nozzle make it look twice is long as the original Type-II in TNG. Well the original Type-II sucked, but they refined it which looked best until they kept making it longer.

As for that transport pic... it looks like they're in water. It's really hard to make anything out.

--------------------
I'm slightly annoyed at Hobbes' rather rude decision to be much more attractive than me though. That's just rude. - PsyLiam, Oct 27, 2005.

Lee
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well. . .

http://www.leenet.demon.co.uk/phaser/2150/

There's no link to it on the main page, mind, because I'm having to re-design the whole bloody thing to fit it in. But it'll look better anyway. 8)

--------------------

Lee
Member # 393

And it's now done! http://www.leenet.demon.co.uk/phaser/ 8)

--------------------

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

Hobbes: Longer? From what I can tell, the type-II phasers have gotten smaller and smaller. The "dustbuster" was the biggest, then you had the angular and smaller post season 3 TNG, then the, er season 4(?) DS9 which had the curvy handle and was smaller again.

--------------------

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Open Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps