Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums
Topic Closed  Topic Closed
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » Other Television Shows » "Plan B" (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: "Plan B"
colin
Member # 217

- posted      Profile for colin         Edit/Delete Post 
Background
In an interview, located at TrekToday, Ms. Roddenberry stated that she knew there was a backup plan for 'Enterprise'. If the series fails, Paramount is set to do a new show with a new crew and ship. I believe this to be a first for a Star Trek show.

Question
Does knowing this influence your opinion on Mrs. Berman and Braga or the new series?

Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Now, come on. I know Rick Berman has taken a lot of stick for his handling of all things Trek, whether deservedly or otherwise. But there's really no need to bring his wife into all this. . . 8)

--------------------
Never mind the Phlox - Here's the Phase Pistols

Mikey T
Driven
Member # 144

- posted      Profile for Mikey T     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There's a Plan B? Is there something we should know then about Enterprise for Berman to have a Plan B?

--------------------
"It speaks to some basic human needs: that there is a tomorrow, it's not all going to be over with a big splash and a bomb, that the human race is improving, that we have things to be proud of as humans."
-Gene Roddenberry about Star Trek

colin
Member # 217

- posted      Profile for colin         Edit/Delete Post 
That's the one question that I dare not ask, Michael T..
First of Two
Better than you
Member # 16

- posted      Profile for First of Two     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Having a plan B is always a good idea. Like redundant backup systems. It's better to have them and not need them than need them and not have them.

--------------------
"The best defense is not a good offense. The best defense is a terrifyingly accurate and devastatingly powerful offense, with multiply-overlapping kill zones and time-on-target artillery strikes." -- Laurence, Archangel of the Sword

Dukhat
Hater of Stock Footage
Member # 341

- posted      Profile for Dukhat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
(From Majel Roddenberry): "It is different, but if it shouldn't catch on and shouldn't go the way they want it to, they've already got a ship, already got a crew, so all they'd need to do is [tell] the same kinds of stories we're used to seeing."

Is this what you are referring to, Colin? I don't think I'm seeing this exactly the way you're seeing it. I think what she's trying to say is that if whatever shtick TPTB have in store for Enterprise ultimately doesn't work out (i.e. the ratings go down), then they'll just use the same ship & crew, but return to the old "planet/alien of the week" type shows.

I'm taking this to mean that there may be a Babylon 5-type story arc for Enterprise, but since Voyager's TPTB were so opposed to this type of storytelling (for no good reason whatsoever), then they will go back to the "tried & true" method of Star Trek. I don't think Majel means that there's a whole new ship, characters & concept waiting in the wings as a Plan B.

--------------------
"A film made in 2008 isn't going to look like a TV series from 1966 if it wants to make any money. As long as the characters act the same way, and the spirit of the story remains the same then it's "real" Star Trek. Everything else is window dressing." -StCoop

Siegfried
Fullmetal Pompatus
Member # 29

- posted      Profile for Siegfried     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm with Dukhat on this. Mrs. Roddenberry is definitely not saying that they have a totally new series on stand-by should Enterprise not perform to expectations. She's simply saying that the format of Enterprise would be changed to follow typical Star Trek fare. They'd reuse the everything from Enterprise: the ship, crew, sets, etc. I read the article, and Mrs. Roddenberry says that she herself is eagerly awaiting Enterprise and thinks that Rick Berman is capable of doing justice to Gene Roddenberry. This hardly sounds like a slam against Enterprise to me.

Now what I'm wondering is if Enterprise does falter, and this so-called "Plan B" is activated, will the series still be the prequel concept or will it be shifted to another time? To shift it another time would require pouring more money into the show to redo the sets and models. But it's not without precedent with Paramount pouring tons of money (at the time) into Star Trek Phase II going into The Motion Picture.

[ August 16, 2001: Message edited by: Siegfried ]

--------------------
The philosopher's stone. Those who possess it are no longer bound by the laws of equivalent exchange in alchemy. They gain without sacrifice and create without equal exchange. We searched for it, and we found it.

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
No, I think Dukhat has it exactly right. There's probably some kind of involved story arc planned for Enterprise. Majel is saying that if it doesn't work, they'll alter the story-telling, not the time, or setting of the show.

--------------------
"Nu ani anqueatas"

Aban's Illustration
The Official Website of Shannon McRandle

The_Tom
recently silent
Member # 38

- posted      Profile for The_Tom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think that's exactly what she means. TPTB have an arc in mind, but if that doesn't pan out the way they'd like it to, they always have the contingency plan of going back to the tried-and-true (some might say tired) episodic Star Trek fare of Alien of the Week.

--------------------
"I was surprised by the matter-of-factness of Kafka's narration, and the subtle humor present as a result." (Sizer 2005)

Harry
Stormwind City Guard
Member # 265

- posted      Profile for Harry     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
And will it still be Star Trek then?
Is this the reason they dropped the name out of the title?

--------------------
Titan Fleet Yards | Memory Alpha

Jack_Crusher
Member # 696

- posted      Profile for Jack_Crusher     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
First, Ms. Majel Barrett Roddenbery was Gene Roddenbery's (the original creator of Star Trek) wife, Not Rick Berman's wife, and she has had several Trek roles, such as Nurse Chapel, Laxwana Troi, and the voice for the starfleet computers in TNG, VOY, and DS9. Second, I think the plan B thang won't work. If Enterprise does crash and burn, and TPTB decide to use the standard Trek fare script, that would just be like locking two tribbles in a compartment of quadrotriticale. The problems would just keep mutiplying, and getting bigger.

--------------------
Fry- How will we get out of this?
George Takei's head- Maybe we can use some kind of auto-destruct code like one-A, two-B, three-C...
(Bender's head blows up)
Bender- Now everybody knows!
-Futurama's obligatory Star Trek episode

Siegfried
Fullmetal Pompatus
Member # 29

- posted      Profile for Siegfried     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
And how did you come to that conclusion? There seems to be more problem inherent in running an arc-type series that expressly has the purpose of showing the beginning of the humanity's true venture into the great unknown. In this manner, you're intentionally trying to show the events and people that lead into the formation of the Trek universe.

Running with the typical alien/planet/particle of the week fare that all of the series have done on occasion poses less of a chance of casing problems. The stories would be safe and not really harmful to the Trek space-time continuum. The biggest problem this could case is that very few of the fans actually want this type of format.

--------------------
The philosopher's stone. Those who possess it are no longer bound by the laws of equivalent exchange in alchemy. They gain without sacrifice and create without equal exchange. We searched for it, and we found it.

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, the arc concept sounds intruiging for Trek. This points to a few things. Remember when the 'suits' didn't let the DS9 producers do many arc shows, cause it stuffed up with their re-runs? Maybe they've dropped this argument?

Also, this would answer the question, why can't fans submit scripts to Trek anymore?

After watching some promos... I'm beginning to become intruiged and excited!

Spoilers ahead--

spoilers

spoilers

I read where Jeffery Coombs has been asked to play an ANDORIAN for the 5th episode! YES!

Hey, maybe Ron Moore'll comeback? Or at least write a few scripts?

Andrew

--------------------
"Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica." - Jim Halpert. (The Office)

I'm LIZZING! - Liz Lemon (30 Rock)

Siegfried
Fullmetal Pompatus
Member # 29

I don't know if Ron Moore would come back on a permanent basis. From what I understand, the fall-out between him and Brannon Braga was pretty intense (although neither side has said much about it). He might be inclined to be a guest writer on the series, but it would depend on both of them to get past that event.

It's a shame, though. I bet Ron Moore would have a lot of fun writing Klingon-centered episodes for Enterprise.

--------------------

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Even if Ron was to write a few scripts it would be AWESOME! It'd be like bringing back together 'both sides'! I've just watched the longer promo with the Admiral and more of the cast including Phlox! Wow - it looks FRESH and AMAZING! Woohoo! If feel really good just watching them... there is nothing 'dire' about them - there is something inspiring about them? Lets hope this transfers to the series!

Also, I was just thinking about the problem of having Story arcs for Enterprise. Look, if BUFFY and ANGEL can do such an awesome job, and pull the viewers they do... well then Enterprise can do it.

Maybe its the colours of the sets but I feel like the footage has been shot on a SUNNY DAY!?! Or something - not all doom and gloom. Which Voyager had with all the dark blues and greys... it never had a 'homely' feeling like the big E or even DS9!?!

--------------------
"Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica." - Jim Halpert. (The Office)

I'm LIZZING! - Liz Lemon (30 Rock)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Open Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps