Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums
Topic Closed  Topic Closed
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » Other Television Shows » "Plan B" (Page 2)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: "Plan B"
Siegfried
Fullmetal Pompatus
Member # 29

- posted      Profile for Siegfried     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This is like a real-time conversation here, Andrew.

Anyway, I think that part of the reason for not doing larger episode arcs in Deep Space Nine and Voyager was that the idea to do them was made after the series had already established themselves. Here, they can start from the very beginning.

Anyway, what we've seem of the Enterprise sets appear to me to be a bit cooler (cooler meaning the blue/green/purple side of the color wheel) in terms of colors. There's a solid use of those colors on consoles and screens and the uniforms themselves. And a lot of the greys appear to be closer to steel-blue than silver. Of course, the engine room set is heavy on the earth tones and the launching bay is heavy on the dark grays and blacks. However, there's a lot more lighting on the bridge than on Voyager and Deep Space Nine (at least to my mind).

Part of the effect is that Enterprise seems to have a lighter tone. Deep Space Nine started with a tone of adventure and exploration, but it immediately got darker after the introduction of the Dominion. Voyager has always had a somewhat dark tone since she's lost on the far side of the galaxy with everyone and their cousin wanting to destroy her. Enterprise has that eager to explore tone that The Original Series has.

--------------------
The philosopher's stone. Those who possess it are no longer bound by the laws of equivalent exchange in alchemy. They gain without sacrifice and create without equal exchange. We searched for it, and we found it.

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
"First, Ms. Majel Barrett Roddenbery was Gene Roddenbery's (the original creator of Star Trek) wife, Not Rick Berman's wife, and she has had several Trek roles, such as Nurse Chapel, Laxwana Troi, and the voice for the starfleet computers in TNG, VOY, and DS9."

Um... No shit. Lee was referring to the line "Does knowing this influence your opinion on Mrs. Berman and Braga or the new series?". The plural of "Mr." is obviously not "Mrs.". (It's "Messrs.", for anyone who's interested.)

Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
*sigh* Thanks Tim. 8)

--------------------
Never mind the Phlox - Here's the Phase Pistols

Commander Dan
Member # 558

- posted      Profile for Commander Dan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
AndrewR,

To address your question on fan script submissions:

There was a previous thread on this board that explained that issue. ("Bad news, Jeff Kardde") According to some of the guys on that thread, the Writers Guild’s new contact agreement essentially eliminates the possibility of submitting a script if you do not have an agent.

This situation really pisses me off. Not because I am interested in submitting a script, but because I am really tired of situations where unions are forcing the exclusion of regular, average, everyday folks that do not want to unionize. At what point do these terms intrude upon a business’ right to hire any individual that an employer deems worthy of employment (regardless of his or her union affiliation)?

[ August 17, 2001: Message edited by: Commander Dan ]

--------------------
“My experience with Rick Berman is, you know, he does not understand what he's doing, he does not understand science fiction.”
-- Andrew Probert

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Oh BTW, Majel Barret was also the computer voice in TOS!

--------------------
"Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica." - Jim Halpert. (The Office)

I'm LIZZING! - Liz Lemon (30 Rock)

Obi Juan
Who's your master?
Member # 90

- posted      Profile for Obi Juan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Maybe its the colours of the sets but I feel like the footage has been shot on a SUNNY DAY!?! Or something - not all doom and gloom. Which Voyager had with all the dark blues and greys... it never had a 'homely' feeling like the big E or even DS9!?!

Oh come on, the ambiance of DS9 was about as doom and gloom as you can get

[ August 17, 2001: Message edited by: Obi Juan ]

--------------------
"Existence is random. Has no pattern save what we imagine after staring at it too long. No meaning save what we choose to impose. This rudderless world is not shaped by vague metaphysical forces. It is not God who kills the children. Not fate that butchers them or destiny that feeds them to the dogs. It?s us. Only us."
Rorschach

Obi Juan
Who's your master?
Member # 90

- posted      Profile for Obi Juan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Anyway, I think that part of the reason for not doing larger episode arcs in Deep Space Nine and Voyager was that the idea to do them was made after the series had already established themselves. Here, they can start from the very beginning.

I think it has something more to do with the fact that these shows make a lot more money in syndication than they do during their first run. The fact is that stations like to air syndicated shows that they can air in whichever order they please.

There is also the matter that arcs tend to discourage new viewers. Don't get me wrong, I hate TV shows that seem to be a string together of totally unrelated 1/2 hour (or hour) segments that just happen to have the same characters in them (no character or plot development, and only the actors gray hairs to tell you that one episode happened after another). However, it is very difficult to get into a series once it is deep into a storyline.

Most of the people who really love Babylon 5 at this forum claim that one of its greatest strengths was a richly detailed story arc. I saw a few of the later episodes and was very intrigued, but I could never get into the show because I didn't want to invest the time to figure our what the hell was going on.

--------------------
"Existence is random. Has no pattern save what we imagine after staring at it too long. No meaning save what we choose to impose. This rudderless world is not shaped by vague metaphysical forces. It is not God who kills the children. Not fate that butchers them or destiny that feeds them to the dogs. It?s us. Only us."
Rorschach

Siegfried
Fullmetal Pompatus
Member # 29

- posted      Profile for Siegfried     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, that is part of the reason I never really got into Babylon 5. I watched a few episodes, but since I didn't watch from the very beginning I had problems keeping track of the larger picture. Of course, I don't think that Enterprise is going to have that big and in-depth an arc. I think they're going for Arc Lite. Of course, they could prove me wrong.

--------------------
The philosopher's stone. Those who possess it are no longer bound by the laws of equivalent exchange in alchemy. They gain without sacrifice and create without equal exchange. We searched for it, and we found it.

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey yeah DS9 was TOTALLY Doom and Gloom - but it wasn't... FLAT and FEATURELESS! It was wonderfully textured, and places like Ops and The Promenade weren't all boring. Look at the Voyager mess hall - boring. Look at the brige - bland, look at the CORRIDORS! Arrrgh. I think maybe Janeway's ready room and the Delta Flyer interior were the most interesting sets on Voyager. I mean even the Generic quarters on DS9 were WAY cool. Like Garak's quarters in The Wire. Some of the panels in those rooms made it look like the set from "Cube"

--------------------

Omega
Some other beginning's end
Member # 91

- posted      Profile for Omega     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Um... about B5: according to my paper, the reruns cycle next Thursday, the 23rd of August. I plan to watch the whole series. It's on at 6:00 CDT on the SciFi Channel. Of course, this only helps Americans, but it's better than nothing.

--------------------
"This is why you people think I'm so unknowable. You don't listen!"
- God, "God, the Devil and Bob"

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Some of the panels in those rooms made it look like the set from "Cube"

Shot on the barest of shoe-string budgets, then?

Lee
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I get really fed up with Trekkies going on about how B5 was so hard to follow because you had to watch them in order and if you didn't you couldn't follow the story, yet then go on to extol DS9's virtues because they watched the episodes in order and found following the story great fun. . .

--------------------

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

I think I was one of the only people on the 'net who watched and adored both DS9 and B5. I'm SURE I was one of the only ones, who ADORED DS9 from the very first opening words... "Stardate 43999.1" or what ever...

--------------------

Obi Juan
Who's your master?
Member # 90

quote:
I get really fed up with Trekkies going on about how B5 was so hard to follow because you had to watch them in order and if you didn't you couldn't follow the story, yet then go on to extol DS9's virtues because they watched the episodes in order and found following the story great fun.

Actually, I was in the military and ended up missing all of DS9 season 4 and most of 5. I was pretty lost when I started watching again, and the plot seemed to have gotten pretty convoluted (Cardassians were enemies, then friends, then enemies, then friends...). I considered not investing the time in figuring out what exactly had happened.

Luckily they had just started showing syndicated reruns of the show, so it didn't take me to long to catch up.

You know what Lee, arcs are great if you start from the beginning and watch the whole thing, but they suck ass when you pick it up mid series (whether its DS9, B5 or whatever). I was using B5 as an example because even though I love arcs, it illustrates why networks have an aversion to them--they discourage new viewers. Sorry if I confused you...

--------------------
Rorschach

Lee
Member # 393

Sorry, Obeychops, I wasn't actually getting at you, just expressing a general opinion. There HAS been a double standard operating in some quarters though. . . Overall, the pro-DS9 camp sometimes seems to be saying "arcs are good, provided they're not too complicated." In other words, it's arguable that to fully enjoy B5 you probably need to know who the Zathrases are, but you don't need to know the differences between the various Weyouns in order to follow DS9.

--------------------

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Open Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps