Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums
Topic Closed  Topic Closed
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » Other Television Shows » Gays in Enterprise (Page 2)

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   
Author Topic: Gays in Enterprise
Obese Penguin
Doomsayer
Member # 271

- posted      Profile for Obese Penguin     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
But God Forbid any Hispanic Characters.

--------------------
My Mother never found the irony in calling me a son of a bitch

Fabrux
Epic Member
Member # 71

- posted      Profile for Fabrux     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What about Muniz? He was hispanic.

And how come none of the humans ever come from Canada, hmm? Or any country other than the US or the UK?

--------------------
I haul cardboard and cardboard accessories

The Red Admiral
Admiral on Deck....
Member # 602

- posted      Profile for The Red Admiral     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Other than full US characters, there's been, from the major cast members:

Chekov - Russian
Sulu - Japanese/American
Scotty - Scottish
Picard - French
O'Brien - Irish
Bashir - English/Arabic
Kim - Japanese/American
Chakotay - Native American
Torres - Hispanic (with some Klingon)

Not many there really, and only Picard and Chekov one would suppose come from non-English speaking countries (with the exception of Torres whose whose hispanic origin wasn't really explored). There was also a Hispanic Ensign on TNG called Sonya Gomez, and several minor characters of different extractions. But it's a US TV series, made primarily for the US market, the rest of the world market is merely secondary.

--------------------
"To the Enterprise and the Stargazer. Old girlfriends we'll never meet again." - Scotty

Trekmania -My Comprehensive Trek Resource

The ASDB

Shik
Starship database: completed; History of Starfleet: done; website: probably never
Member # 343

- posted      Profile for Shik     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Harry Kim was Korean-American.

Eddington was Canadian; ref. his line in "Blaze Of Glory"--"it's my 'lucky Loonie.' It's been in my family for generations."

Riker was Candaian to ben the waiter & Sam Lavelle, & Sam's grandpappy was Canadian.

Ted Koppel was Canadian. He got better.

"Dead or Canadian?"--topic on "Remote Control."

--------------------
"The French have a saying: 'mise en place'—keep everything in its fucking place!"

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Dukhat: Bwwwaaaaahahahahahahaha!!!!

--------------------
"Nu ani anqueatas"

Aban's Illustration
The Official Website of Shannon McRandle

Identity Crisis
Defender of the Non-Canon
Member # 67

- posted      Profile for Identity Crisis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Oh come on. Is this really a surprise to anyone?

When, a while back, I read in the show bible that "As previously revealed, Reed is also rather contradictory, shy around women and soft spoken despite his regulatory personality" my first thought was 'he's gay'. My second thought was 'what a cliched way to write a gay character'.

--------------------
"My theories appal you, my heresies outrage you, I never answer letters and you don't like my tie." - The Doctor

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I just have to post this I've just got up to Dukhat's post on the first page - and well, I haven't laughed so hard in a long time. LOL! It's given me a saw head and jaw and I'm crying! LOL!

Andrew

--------------------
"Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica." - Jim Halpert. (The Office)

I'm LIZZING! - Liz Lemon (30 Rock)

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Getting serious!?! again... Bashir/Sid was born in the Sudan... so he's going to have a bit of a slight accent. Presumably Bashir was of Arabic decent too. I wouldn't say "Muslim Character" cause well, the only religion we've seen in Trek has been the Bajoran Faith.

--------------------

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

Nella Darren (Picard's love intrest in "Lessons") is an Australian actress, so one would assume that she is Australian!

--------------------

OnToMars
Now on to the making of films!
Member # 621

- posted      Profile for OnToMars     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Finally, in keeping with the attempt to present a more 'out there' look at the cosmos, TV guide revealed that one of the male crew is set to become pregnant. Connor Trinneer (Charlie Tucker) said that his character would experience the "first human male pregnancy" in an episode that he described as "very funny."

There it is, folks. Enjoy.

Here's the links for you skeptics. Be warned, Trek X spoilers at the bottom.

http://www.trektoday.com/news/200801_02.shtml

[ August 20, 2001: Message edited by: Stingray ]

--------------------
If God didn't want us to fly, he wouldn't have given us Bernoulli's Principle.

Mikey T
Driven
Member # 144

- posted      Profile for Mikey T     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I just read the TV Guide article myself...after passing out from seeing what happend to the First Contact spacesuits. Anyway... I really don't know if there should be a gay/lesbian character on Star Trek. Personally I would like to see one just as long as there is a good storyline for him/her being there. Oh, before I forget, if anyone thinks I fall into the typical gay stereotype, I do and I don't and that's the kind of character I would want to see on Star Trek: someone who would hate the ship interiors with a passion and someone who would be as interesting as Garak.

[ August 20, 2001: Message edited by: Michael_T ]

--------------------
"It speaks to some basic human needs: that there is a tomorrow, it's not all going to be over with a big splash and a bomb, that the human race is improving, that we have things to be proud of as humans."
-Gene Roddenberry about Star Trek

The Red Admiral
Admiral on Deck....
Member # 602

- posted      Profile for The Red Admiral     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Now I immediately recognised Garak as possibly being gay, but it was never developed, or confirmed. I think in many ways that was a good idea, because after all, Garak had an abyss of secrets from all facets of his life, and that in my opinion made him one of the most fascinating characters ever seen in Trek.

--------------------
"To the Enterprise and the Stargazer. Old girlfriends we'll never meet again." - Scotty

Trekmania -My Comprehensive Trek Resource

The ASDB

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Why does everyone always talk about potential gay Trek characters like they have to be male? Who's to say they won't stick a lesbian in somewhere? (This, of course, is not counting the bis in the mirror universe on DS9.)

Actually, a lesbian character would be the most beneficial to the producers. The "gay community" is happy because there's a gay character, and all the fanboys start to tune in every week so they can masturbate to the ships and the lesbians...

Wes
Over 20 years here? Holy cow.
Member # 212

- posted      Profile for Wes     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
TSN made the post I was gonna make. and whats wrong with liking a bit of lesbian action.. err um....
Wes
Over 20 years here? Holy cow.
Member # 212

- posted      Profile for Wes     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
this lesbians would have to be the long-hair big breasted "im just experimenting" type right??...

not ellen degeneres

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   

Open Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps