Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums
Topic Closed  Topic Closed
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » Other Television Shows » Gays in Enterprise (Page 3)

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   
Author Topic: Gays in Enterprise
Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
As regards Reed's accent, it's plain from the trailers that he speaks in that fake English accent which Americans think we all speak in. The one that Liz Hurley does (yes, she is putting it on).

--------------------
Never mind the Phlox - Here's the Phase Pistols

Wes
Over 20 years here? Holy cow.
Member # 212

- posted      Profile for Wes     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
LOL Dukhat.
OnToMars
Now on to the making of films!
Member # 621

- posted      Profile for OnToMars     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ya know, I've been to England, I've heard real English people talk. And the fake stuff and the real stuff seem pretty close. You'd probably say the same thing about Britons faking American accents. And most of them (stage anyway) are pretty damn bad.

--------------------
If God didn't want us to fly, he wouldn't have given us Bernoulli's Principle.

Quatre Winner
Member # 464

- posted      Profile for Quatre Winner         Edit/Delete Post 
As a gay male, I could NOT care one bit if there is or isn't a gay character in Enterprise. It's not important.

QRW.

--------------------
"I never grabbed Pat Tallman's ass. But I swear to God she was grabbing mine every five minutes!" - Andreas Katsulas (G'Kar - B5)

Mikey T
Driven
Member # 144

- posted      Profile for Mikey T     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You may not but from what I can tell, the Gay and Lesbian community wants one on. I think they did try to blow Garak out of the closet during DS9's run.

--------------------
"It speaks to some basic human needs: that there is a tomorrow, it's not all going to be over with a big splash and a bomb, that the human race is improving, that we have things to be proud of as humans."
-Gene Roddenberry about Star Trek

Dukhat
Hater of Stock Footage
Member # 341

- posted      Profile for Dukhat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
So the gay & lesbian community is dictating terms to Star Trek & Rick Berman? If that's the case, I wish the gay & lesbian community would tell him to design a more original looking ship.

[ August 22, 2001: Message edited by: Dukhat ]

--------------------
"A film made in 2008 isn't going to look like a TV series from 1966 if it wants to make any money. As long as the characters act the same way, and the spirit of the story remains the same then it's "real" Star Trek. Everything else is window dressing." -StCoop

Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
*shudders at what the gay & lesbian community might consider an original design*

--------------------
Never mind the Phlox - Here's the Phase Pistols

Ritten
A Terrible & Sick leek
Member # 417

- posted      Profile for Ritten     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The big thing is the focus on any particular character, they haven't overplayed the black or pointy eared ones, so don't go through and froce a bunch of crappy acting on now.

Maybe a gay vulcan, or worse, Horta.....

--------------------
"You are a terrible human, Ritten." Magnus
"Urgh, you are a sick sick person..." Austin Powers
A leek too, pretty much a negi.....

The Red Admiral
Admiral on Deck....
Member # 602

- posted      Profile for The Red Admiral     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A gay Horta, now there's a picture...

But I have to speak up and say it would be wrong to just 'introduce' two atrractive lesbian characters simply for the fanboys. I for one, being completely straight and being all for gay rights have no interest whatsover in lesbians and their sexual activities. They could be blond and beautifual or whateer, but the mere act of them kissing and getting down to it does not appeal to all straight men. Besides, if they are to do a gay character, be it male or female it should be for the right reasons.

--------------------
"To the Enterprise and the Stargazer. Old girlfriends we'll never meet again." - Scotty

Trekmania -My Comprehensive Trek Resource

The ASDB

Treknophyle
Member # 509

- posted      Profile for Treknophyle     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
"Lieutenant, these aliens live according to the Arisiotaelian Ideals."
"Aristotle was gay, you know."
"Oh, shut UP about it already!"

LOL

Seriously, a gay character sounds great - in fact, I hope that they pay attention to the actual percentage of gays in the general population (estimated at 10%) [http://www.sexualitybytes.ninemsn.com.au/adult/sexuality/Percentage.asp]. In a ship of 100+ persons, we should have at least 10 gay crewmen. Having just one makes him 'token'. Having 10 or more would make them a part of society.

Also seriously, they could make GREAT strides by totally eliminating that 'accent' - you know the one - Jack Truman uses it on Will & Grace. I had a friend who came out - and started using it. I had to remind him that 'I knew him when' - and that he was aiding a stereotype ("please use your Westcoast Canadian accent when around me, okay? Gay is a lifestyle, not a speech impediment"). Sure enough, he could turn it off and on like a lightbulb.

If they can keep from using OGSB (obviously gay stereotype behavious) on the show, Enterprise could conceivably go far in aiding the acceptance of gays in primetime - not as a gag or theme, but as a simply accepted 'of course'.

--------------------
'One man's theology is another man's belly laugh.' - Lazarus Long

Spike
Pathetic Vampire
Member # 322

- posted      Profile for Spike     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Ryan McReynolds:
and both Buffy and Xena show that the younger action fan set doesn't give a shit.

Who's gay in Xena?

--------------------
"Never give up. And never, under any circumstances, no matter what - never face the facts." - Ruth Gordon

OnToMars
Now on to the making of films!
Member # 621

- posted      Profile for OnToMars     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Xena. der.

--------------------
If God didn't want us to fly, he wouldn't have given us Bernoulli's Principle.

Ryan McReynolds
Minor Deity
Member # 28

- posted      Profile for Ryan McReynolds     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Spike:
Who's gay in Xena?

I've never watched it, so I wouldn't know any names, but isn't her sidekick supposed to be a lesbian? My girlfriend used to watch it, and she tells me that Xena and Gabrielle, while both have been with guys, have kissed and dreamed about having sex with each other. Sounds like they're at least bi to me. Point remains: gay characters don't hurt ratings.

--------------------
Enterprise: An Online Companion

"Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away." --Phillip K. Dick

Ryan McReynolds
Minor Deity
Member # 28

- posted      Profile for Ryan McReynolds     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Michael_T:
You may not but from what I can tell, the Gay and Lesbian community wants one on. I think they did try to blow Garak out of the closet during DS9's run.

You can't really blame them, since Andy Robinson intentionally played him as bi. He even wrote it into his Garak biography novel, A Stitch in Time.

If you really want to know exactly what involvement the gay community has had in trying to get a gay character, see this webpage.

--------------------
Enterprise: An Online Companion

"Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away." --Phillip K. Dick

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There were straight characters on Xena?
  This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   

Open Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps