Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums
Topic Closed  Topic Closed
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » Other Television Shows » Suliban (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Suliban
Dr Phlox
Member # 680

- posted      Profile for Dr Phlox         Edit/Delete Post 
Has anyone got a chance to see the Suliban? They look like TOS aliens. I'm not saying they ripped off anything except T'Pol's clothing. I'm saying it doesn't look like a lot of money went into it.

--------------------
President Josiah Bartlet: Congratulations. So, who is da man on this one?

Communications Director Toby Ziegler: I think this time we're all collectively da man, sir.

Deputy Communications Director Sam Seaborn: I accidentally slept with a call girl.

Communications Director Toby Ziegler: Accidentally? Did you trip over something?
-----------------
The West Wing

OnToMars
Now on to the making of films!
Member # 621

- posted      Profile for OnToMars     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I only saw the one picture, but I'm amicable to their look. What I don't like is Phlox's appearance. For somebody who's supposed to be a super mysterious alien, he doesn't look nearly alien enough. His would work well for alien-of-the-week. But they should have tried a little harder for a more interesting look. I had always pictured something along the lines of the plant lady from Farscape. Oh well.

--------------------
If God didn't want us to fly, he wouldn't have given us Bernoulli's Principle.

Siegfried
Fullmetal Pompatus
Member # 29

- posted      Profile for Siegfried     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm in agreement with Stingray on this. The makeup I've seen for the Suliban is certainly a nice effect. Dashs of gold, orange, and silver with a cool shimmery and glittery effect. Seems like this species has a fairly plain base to start with for it's limited shapeshifting abilities.

As for Dr. Phlox, yeah, the makeup is bit disappointing. I like it and think it's interesting, but it is fairly derivative of other alien makeup effects. It looks like the overall design was a combination of a picture of Gul Dukat with Genghis Khan.

--------------------
The philosopher's stone. Those who possess it are no longer bound by the laws of equivalent exchange in alchemy. They gain without sacrifice and create without equal exchange. We searched for it, and we found it.

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
a combination of a picture of Gul Dukat with Genghis Khan

That's it. I'm reporting you to the Time Cops.

Siegfried
Fullmetal Pompatus
Member # 29

- posted      Profile for Siegfried     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ummm... am I being busted on poor grammar or poor spelling? If it's the grammar, then I shall amend it:

...a combination of a picture of Gul Dukat with a picture of Genghis Khan.

If it's the spelling, well, I'm a horrid speller. I make no apologies for that.

--------------------
The philosopher's stone. Those who possess it are no longer bound by the laws of equivalent exchange in alchemy. They gain without sacrifice and create without equal exchange. We searched for it, and we found it.

OnToMars
Member # 621

- posted      Profile for OnToMars     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hmmm, I'm equally stumped. But I bet you spelled Kahn as in superman starship stealer "KAAAAAAAHHHHHNNNNNNN!" and that the Mongol is somehow spelled differently.

--------------------

Siegfried
Fullmetal Pompatus
Member # 29

Nope, it's not my spelling. I checked my dictionary. It's spelt "Khan." Just like Khan Nooni*n Singh and Chaka Khan.

Going to my VH-1 Pop-Up Video trivia... "khan" means "head." And, according to the blurb on the Chaka Khan video, about 20% of American men report not getting "khan."

--------------------

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Uh...I was just thinking that you having snapshots of a 14th century Mongolian conquerer might look a bit suspect to those temporal continuity types. You know?

Anyway, to yank this back on topic:

Enterprise the ship: Too much not like TOS.

Enterprise villians: Too much like TOS.

Got it.

Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
"Yes! Now Phloxberg is the popular one!"

--------------------
Never mind the Phlox - Here's the Phase Pistols

Dukhat
Hater of Stock Footage
Member # 341

- posted      Profile for Dukhat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Has anyone got a chance to see the Suliban? They look like TOS aliens.

Um, no they don't. The makeup & prosthetics for the Suliban, although IMHO not anything special by today's standards, beats anything TOS came up with by leaps & bounds.

--------------------
"A film made in 2008 isn't going to look like a TV series from 1966 if it wants to make any money. As long as the characters act the same way, and the spirit of the story remains the same then it's "real" Star Trek. Everything else is window dressing." -StCoop

Fabrux
Epic Member
Member # 71

- posted      Profile for Fabrux     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Am I the only one who hasn't seen a picture of a Suliban?

--------------------
I haul cardboard and cardboard accessories

Dr Phlox
Member # 680

- posted      Profile for Dr Phlox         Edit/Delete Post 
I too was disapointed with Dr Phlox I thought the make up was bit more elaborate. Something along the lines of Rigel and Pilot or any other Muppet creation of Farscape. The M-113 monster was more creative than Phlox and the Suliban.

--------------------
President Josiah Bartlet: Congratulations. So, who is da man on this one?

Communications Director Toby Ziegler: I think this time we're all collectively da man, sir.

Deputy Communications Director Sam Seaborn: I accidentally slept with a call girl.

Communications Director Toby Ziegler: Accidentally? Did you trip over something?
-----------------
The West Wing

Spike
Pathetic Vampire
Member # 322

- posted      Profile for Spike     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Phlox looks just like a friendly Cardassian.

[ August 23, 2001: Message edited by: Spike ]

--------------------
"Never give up. And never, under any circumstances, no matter what - never face the facts." - Ruth Gordon

The Red Admiral
Admiral on Deck....
Member # 602

- posted      Profile for The Red Admiral     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
But I suppose with Dr Phlox being a regular, main cast member they are perhaps limited in how complex and elaborate the makeup is. That's in respects to mainly time if he's going to be in every show, as well as reasonable comfort for the actor.

--------------------
"To the Enterprise and the Stargazer. Old girlfriends we'll never meet again." - Scotty

Trekmania -My Comprehensive Trek Resource

The ASDB

OnToMars
Member # 621

But they could've come up with something better. Gone with a blue or green or copperish face paint.

In a word:

Disappointing.

--------------------

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Open Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps