Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums
Topic Closed  Topic Closed
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » Other Television Shows » First high quality shots of crew (Page 2)

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   
Author Topic: First high quality shots of crew
Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What in God's name are you people jibbering about? I think that the Martian Manhunter's name is incredibly silly. Therefore I hate asian people? Oh, that makes perfect sense. Brilliant deductive reasoning there, Mr. Holmes. If there were only a Nobel available for cunning bulletin board posts. Perhaps we could work something out with the MacArthur Foundation.
Eclipse
Member # 472

- posted      Profile for Eclipse     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Reginald Barclay:
Let's kill two birds with one stone. Bring in Alan Rickman as Dr. Lazarus.

YES!

Wes
Over 20 years here? Holy cow.
Member # 212

- posted      Profile for Wes     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I hope you guys know that immigrants to the US were often given new last names to make them 'fit in' to the country more.

Park is a very common Korean last name. So is Lee and Kim, that’s not a stereotype, hell, one with the last name of Lee. Its just the way it is.

more info can be found here:
http://soback.kornet.nm.kr/~pixeline/heeyun/korea/name.html

Wes
Over 20 years here? Holy cow.
Member # 212

- posted      Profile for Wes     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
.. and I still say Linda Park is a babe.
Hobbes
 Homicidal Psycho Jungle Cat 
Member # 138

- posted      Profile for Hobbes     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
.. and I still say there's an edit feature you can use instead of making a new post.

--------------------
I'm slightly annoyed at Hobbes' rather rude decision to be much more attractive than me though. That's just rude. - PsyLiam, Oct 27, 2005.

Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

- posted      Profile for Reverend     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
wasn't alien names sounding like english words & vis versa used in Alien Nation? I seam to recall an alien called George Francisco and a human named Mathew Sikes...which sounds alot like exciment crainium in the newcomer language.

--------------------
Dark Knight Adventures & Batman Beyond:Stripped - DeviantArt Gallery
================================
...what we demand is a total absence of solid facts!

bX
Stopped. Smelling flowers.
Member # 419

- posted      Profile for bX     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
IIRC There was a "Sam Francisco" in Alien Nation. I thought that was pretty great, really. Kind of underlines the difference in culture. Ford Prefect, anyone?

I'm just glad they didn't go with T'PamelaAnderson. THAT would have been embarassing...

[ September 01, 2001: Message edited by: Balaam Xumucane ]

--------------------
"Nah. The 9th chevron is for changing the ringtone from "grindy-grindy chonk-chonk" to the theme tune to dallas." -Reverend42

Reginald Barclay
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Sol System:
What in God's name are you people jibbering about? I think that the Martian Manhunter's name is incredibly silly. Therefore I hate asian people? Oh, that makes perfect sense. Brilliant deductive reasoning there, Mr. Holmes. If there were only a Nobel available for cunning bulletin board posts. Perhaps we could work something out with the MacArthur Foundation.

On the contrary, Watson! In case you hadn't noticed, that was in reply to someone else's message. How could I be referring to you given this circumstance? Don't bother applying to Mensa.

IP: Logged
TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
"Kind of underlines the difference in culture. Ford Prefect, anyone?"

Um... You do know that wasn't supposed to actually be his name, right?

bX
Stopped. Smelling flowers.
Member # 419

- posted      Profile for bX     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I don't remember exactly, but wasn't that supposed to be a name he took to blend in. Something that wouldn't stand out...

--------------------
"Nah. The 9th chevron is for changing the ringtone from "grindy-grindy chonk-chonk" to the theme tune to dallas." -Reverend42

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
But I have waited all my life to join Mensa! I even have the sappho-stained lips! And anyway, it's a strange sort of reply that quotes something when it isn't responding to it.

Anyway, Ford chose his name in order to fit in with what he thought were the dominant lifeforms on the planet.

And I'm no Alien Nation expert, but didn't they all choose new names upon landing, leading to lots of, uh, Newcomers, wasn't it? - with names like John Sacremento and Abraham Lincoln and so on.

Reginald Barclay
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
Your self-absorption is truly astounding if you can't see the relevance of that reply to Vogon Poet's message. Or to quote Alex Dane: "Oh right, it's always about you, isn't it?!?"

All I want to see someday is a scene like this:

Alien: Pleased to meet you. My name is Fred Smith. Is something wrong?
Human: It's just that you don't look like a Fred Smith.
Alien: It's a very common name on my planet. It means "she who walks with grace." What do you expect Fred Smith to look like?

Or if you absolutely need it to be non-American, it could be named Lee, Tchaikovsky or Sivaramakrishnan. Anything to break the stereotype that alien languages can't possibly produce a name that sounds human.

[ September 03, 2001: Message edited by: Reginald Barclay ]

IP: Logged
Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

Are we still being bombastic? I lost track.
Mikey T
Driven
Member # 144

- posted      Profile for Mikey T     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Does anyone remember that DS9 episode with that Maquis member Vulcan woman that Quark was trying to sell weapons to? I think her outfit would be more suited for T'Pol than what she is wearing right now.
Shik
Starship database: completed; History of Starfleet: done; website: probably never
Member # 343

- posted      Profile for Shik     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Soleta. Yummy, she was. And she later played the ex-Borg from Excalibur on VGR.

--------------------
"The French have a saying: 'mise en place'—keep everything in its fucking place!"

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   

Open Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps