Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums
Topic Closed  Topic Closed
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » Other Television Shows » $$$ Your Commentary on "Dear Doctor?" (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: $$$ Your Commentary on "Dear Doctor?"
Siegfried
Fullmetal Pompatus
Member # 29

- posted      Profile for Siegfried     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Soo... who want's to start?

--------------------
The philosopher's stone. Those who possess it are no longer bound by the laws of equivalent exchange in alchemy. They gain without sacrifice and create without equal exchange. We searched for it, and we found it.

Obese Penguin
Doomsayer
Member # 271

- posted      Profile for Obese Penguin     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That referance to the prime directive was just horrible. I only saw the last few minutes so I cant judge the entire episode.

I'll get back to this topic on saturday.

--------------------
My Mother never found the irony in calling me a son of a bitch

Siegfried
Fullmetal Pompatus
Member # 29

- posted      Profile for Siegfried     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, I thought that Archer's speech about someone coming up with a directive was cheesy. In fact, Bakula's delivery was rather woody, too (not that a better delivery would have helped the speech much).

I liked this episode right up until the last five minutes. The conclusion was rather rushed, and some things just didn't make sense to me. Phlox discovered a cure, I got that. Then what the heck was the medicine that Archer gave to the hospital administrator? Was it really the cure, or was it just medicine to alleve the symptons? That bothered me a good deal. I guess the lead-in to this (Archer's sickbay speech) didn't help move the conclusion through. One good thing I really appreciated was how there was this buildup to protraying the dying race as a slave overlord species, but this wasn't the case. They really were treating the Minx well and not exploiting them.

I liked the pacing of the episode a lot. It seemed really slowed-down, and it actually worked well for the most part. In my opinion, the episode didn't drag anywhere. However, I think the ending was rushed through. Thankfully, the concentration on Phlox's resolution helped save some of the ending.

Phlox is also really beginning to grow on me. His character didn't do anything hokey; he fairly serious throughout it all. Heck, he had to come to terms with his own moral dilemmas, and I think Billingsley pulled this off well. It was fun watching Phlox interact with Sato in the mess hall and with Cutler throughout the episode. In a continuation from the previous episode, I really get the feeling that Sato and Phlox are like the nervecenter of the Enterprise Gossip Line.

There really isn't much to discuss techwise. We do learn a good deal about the Denobulans. To me, it seems like their society must live in some sort of horny '60s Hippie Free Love Commune. Multiple partners, almost Klingon-like violent love-making. Hell, they don't need much sleep, they hybernate for six days each year. Rather interesting species.

--------------------
The philosopher's stone. Those who possess it are no longer bound by the laws of equivalent exchange in alchemy. They gain without sacrifice and create without equal exchange. We searched for it, and we found it.

The_Tom
recently silent
Member # 38

- posted      Profile for The_Tom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Billingsley noted in an interview yesterday that the Paramount studio suits had apparently stepped in and asked for reshoots of the show's intended ending. That might account for the slight awkwardness.

Personally, I found the episode on the whole to be quite solid. Billingsley's the man (as usual), and Park and Waymire were both top-grade as well this week. T'Pol was used quite well, too. Blalock proved once again that she's got the acting chops to match the looks. While I found the pacing fairly tight it still seemed like the climax came and went without really eliciting much attention. At least it wasn't a standard issue VOY technobabble solution at seven minutes to the hour.

[ January 23, 2002: Message edited by: The_Tom ]

--------------------
"I was surprised by the matter-of-factness of Kafka's narration, and the subtle humor present as a result." (Sizer 2005)

BlueElectron
Member # 281

- posted      Profile for BlueElectron     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I thought this ep. was one of the best one so far.

I got no beef against Archer and the prime directive, I mean, after all, it is what this ep. is about.

It's also very good that they showed how Archer's understanding toward Vulcan has some what changed after his own experience with a lesser species.

What's wrong with Archer handing the drug to the alien that's suppose to alleviate their symtoms? He can't just give them the cure, and he can't tell them the truth for not handing over the cure (do you think they're going to listen to some arguments base on theory of evolution when they're about to be wiped out?), so Archer offered the alien the next best thing, a drug that can delayed the symtom, and hope they sort out the mess themselves.

--------------------
"George Washington said, 'I cannot tell a lie.'
Richard Nixon said, 'I cannot tell the truth.'
Bill Clinton said, 'I cannot tell the difference.'"

-- comedian TOM SMOTHERS, from his latest stage act with brother DICK SMOTHERS.

bX
Stopped. Smelling flowers.
Member # 419

- posted      Profile for bX     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We at last get to see the Doctor up close. Billingsley was certainly charming as ever, and the whole question of interspecies relationships was handled in an innovative if over-cautious way with the narrative from his letters.

Archer's 'directive' thing at the end seemed tacked on and really forced. I'd say that was a writer/producer's foul. The idea that Archer was looking for a line to toe completely runs contrary to the way his character has been written up to this point. I did really like his comment about being able to identify with the Vulcans, though.

I also found myself (much like the human crew) tending to think of the Minx as downtrodden and opressed by the other race. That was very engaging. All in all I'd have to say it was a pretty good episode.

--------------------
"Nah. The 9th chevron is for changing the ringtone from "grindy-grindy chonk-chonk" to the theme tune to dallas." -Reverend42

Wes
Over 20 years here? Holy cow.
Member # 212

- posted      Profile for Wes     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Question:

Why didnt they just name this episode "Phlox's Day"

I mean, come on... you HAVE to see the similarities between this and "Data's Day" TNG

Wes
Over 20 years here? Holy cow.
Member # 212

- posted      Profile for Wes     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Linda Park looks unbeliveably hot in this episode as well...
Siegfried
Fullmetal Pompatus
Member # 29

I guess they could have called it "Phlox's Day," but that would have been an awful title.

The biggest similarity is that the events are recorded via a letter in one character's perspective. This is also similar to "In The Pale Moonlight" on DS9 and "30 Days" on Voyager. While the drive of all four plotlines has a key element, the plots are all different. Here, Phlox much come to terms with an ethical dilemma while trying to save an alien race. In "Data's Day," Data is trying to understand humanity a bit better through differing events. "In the Pale Moonlight" shows Sisko coming to terms with his own corruption. "30 Days" shows Paris trying to settle the score with his old man.

Similar deliveries, but different plots and characters.

--------------------

Siegfried
Fullmetal Pompatus
Member # 29

Oh, and I think that Linda Park is unbelievably hot in every episode. [Big Grin]

--------------------

Hobbes
 Homicidal Psycho Jungle Cat 
Member # 138

- posted      Profile for Hobbes     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Here here Siggy. I've been saying that since before the beginning of the show, Linda Park is so much cuter than Jolene Blalock. Not that Jolene is bad looking, but that Vulcan makeup is just awful.

Next week I finally get my wish, Sato and T'Pol in a decon scene... too bad rubbing gel on each and Tucker is there. [Roll Eyes]

--------------------
I'm slightly annoyed at Hobbes' rather rude decision to be much more attractive than me though. That's just rude. - PsyLiam, Oct 27, 2005.

David Templar
Saint of Rabid Pikachu
Member # 580

- posted      Profile for David Templar     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think the cure had something to do with that lesser race on the planet. Maybe it would have involved wholesale harvesting of those people for pharmasutical purposes.

I thought the fact they'd just bring a bunch of aliens onboard without the least bit of concern about cross-containmination disturbing. They didn't know about the truth of the virus, but no precaution was taken anyways.

The fact that all shuttles we've seen so far fits neatly into Ent's shuttle bay is funny.

--------------------
"God's in his heaven. All's right with the world."

The_Tom
recently silent
Member # 38

- posted      Profile for The_Tom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The Enterprise's launch bay was obviously built in accordance with ISO-99233486.

--------------------
"I was surprised by the matter-of-factness of Kafka's narration, and the subtle humor present as a result." (Sizer 2005)

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
"I think the cure had something to do with that lesser race on the planet. Maybe it would have involved wholesale harvesting of those people for pharmasutical purposes."

I think it's safe to say that, if that were the case, Phlox would have told Archer so, and Archer would have had no dilemma at all. The only thing Phlox was concerned about was that the lower race was, by nature, about to become dominant, and curing the higher race would have upset that.

Siegfried
Fullmetal Pompatus
Member # 29

I've been saying Linda Park is the hottie of the show for a while now. I fully solidified that idea with her first scene in "Broken Bow." Linda Park in the Amazon jungle wearing shorts and a red tank top? Oh, yeah... [Big Grin]

T'Pol is pretty all right, but I really wish she didn't have that damn bob. I would have really liked to see her with her hair down, much like Saavik in The Search for Spock. I guess it wouldn't hurt to change the uniform, too. The jumpsuit is all right, but I would have liked something more flowing and robey like her diplomatic garb in "Broken Bow."

--------------------

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Open Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps