Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums
Topic Closed  Topic Closed
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » Other Television Shows » $$$ Your Commentary on "Dear Doctor?" (Page 2)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: $$$ Your Commentary on "Dear Doctor?"
Brown_supahero
Member # 83

- posted      Profile for Brown_supahero     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
oy, honestly best show to date, still overall ENT is hurting,

for show quality SG1 is still beating ENT down. Even Andromeda is rollin' on ENT.

ENT go to change the game. Need tarantino to write some episodes, Guy Ritchie to direct some. IF not ENT is gonna be tutti in a box.

--------------------
Blaze da finest weed in da shire... I shake my trekbbs at flare.solareclipse.net

Wes
Over 20 years here? Holy cow.
Member # 212

- posted      Profile for Wes     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Linda Park.. you just cant go wrong with Koreans. Im lucky enough to be dating one ;o) (why Linda plays a Japanese woman is beyond me)
Shik
Starship database: completed; History of Starfleet: done; website: probably never
Member # 343

- posted      Profile for Shik     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Werd t'THAT, yo. I showed my hawt little Korean prot�g�/sex toy/pseudogirlfirned a few pictures of Linda Park this weekend. Her comments were, "Hell YEAH, she's fucking HAWT! Let's fuck her!"

And Proteus, didn't you know that in Hollywood, all Asians are the same? It's why George Takei can play vicious Viet Cong generals in shitty movies & why Aki Aleong & Al Leong are always the doublecrossing right-hand man & "person of hench" respectively. The same goes for the Russians: as long as they look even vaguely Slavic or "ice person"-ish, they'll use Poles, Russians, Ukrainians, Finns, 'Weegans, & the odd occasional Swede.

--------------------
"The French have a saying: 'mise en place'—keep everything in its fucking place!"

Siegfried
Fullmetal Pompatus
Member # 29

- posted      Profile for Siegfried     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Wes, you're dating a Korean? You punk bunny! I may have to start hating you now for that... [Wink]

--------------------
The philosopher's stone. Those who possess it are no longer bound by the laws of equivalent exchange in alchemy. They gain without sacrifice and create without equal exchange. We searched for it, and we found it.

capped
I WAS IN THE FUTURE, IT WAS TOO LATE TO RSVP
Member # 709

- posted      Profile for capped     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
for some reason everyone who has ever been my best friend has been obsessed with asian girls. happy holidays to you and yours.

--------------------
"Are you worried that your thoughts are not quite.. clear?"

Siegfried
Fullmetal Pompatus
Member # 29

- posted      Profile for Siegfried     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
::shrug:: I'm not obsessed with Asian girls. I'm simply enamoured with them. Same thing for Latinas, Filipenas, red-heads, Pakistani-Indian women, Arabic women, African women, Russian/Slavic women, Western European women, and Anglo-derived women.

[Big Grin]

--------------------
The philosopher's stone. Those who possess it are no longer bound by the laws of equivalent exchange in alchemy. They gain without sacrifice and create without equal exchange. We searched for it, and we found it.

capped
I WAS IN THE FUTURE, IT WAS TOO LATE TO RSVP
Member # 709

- posted      Profile for capped     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You should just list the ones you arent into (if any)

--------------------
"Are you worried that your thoughts are not quite.. clear?"

Siegfried
Fullmetal Pompatus
Member # 29

Hmmm... I guess that be the C.H.U.D.'s.

--------------------

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
"...why Linda plays a Japanese woman is beyond me..."

Why was a French captain played by an English actor? Why was a Ukranian security officer played by an American actress whose name was British?

The differences are subtle enough that it doesn't really matter. I'm sure there are plenty of Koreans who could pass themselves off as Japanese if they wanted to. Can you honestly say you can tell the differences within a race that well? If a Russian came up to you and said "I'm French", would you say "Hey, wait! Your cheekbones are too high! You lying Slavic bastard!"?

I'm reminded of the scene in an early episode of "King of the Hill", where Cotton gets introduced to Hank's neighbor, and Dale wants to start trouble.

Dale: "This is Khan. He's Japanese..."
Cotton: *looks at Khan* "No he ain't! He's Laotian!"

The_Tom
recently silent
Member # 38

- posted      Profile for The_Tom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Tim: Actually, would I sound too much like Berkley-wannabe white liberal college scum if I said that Koreans are actually fairly discernable from amongst other Asians? Because, IMHO at least, they are. Then again, I've undoubtably had more Korean friends than your average TV-viewer. I'd certainly be better at discerning between Korean and Japanese people than English and French, anyway.

--------------------
"I was surprised by the matter-of-factness of Kafka's narration, and the subtle humor present as a result." (Sizer 2005)

Siegfried
Fullmetal Pompatus
Member # 29

I once didn't know that any of the major Asian groups differed from each other greatly. I got a crash course in it when I met my friend Hanh, who is Vietnamese. She was quite ticked at me when I called her Chinese. Hoo boy.

--------------------

Shik
Starship database: completed; History of Starfleet: done; website: probably never
Member # 343

- posted      Profile for Shik     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Usually the names help. Sometimes.

--------------------
"The French have a saying: 'mise en place'—keep everything in its fucking place!"

David Templar
Saint of Rabid Pikachu
Member # 580

- posted      Profile for David Templar     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Some people thought I was Korean for most of highschool until I said something to them for the first time ever in Mandarin. I've had Korean parents of classmates who thought I was Korean simply because I said "hi" in Korean to them. I've also been mistaken for Japanese.

No I'm not a bloody Brit. [Big Grin] But keep thinking I am if it makes you feel better.

--------------------
"God's in his heaven. All's right with the world."

USS Vanguard
i hate clowns
Member # 130

- posted      Profile for USS Vanguard     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Harry played a korean didn't he? And he's Chinese.

--------------------
"Tragedy is when I cut my finger,
Comedy is when you walk into an open sewer and die."-Mel Brooks

The_Tom
recently silent
Member # 38

- posted      Profile for The_Tom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Harry's ancestry was never clearly established, although because something like 30-40% of all Koreans have the family name of "Kim" it's been assumed he was Korean. (Another 20% or so are "Park," FWIW.) I have feeling that the name Kim isn't exclusive to Korea, though.

--------------------
"I was surprised by the matter-of-factness of Kafka's narration, and the subtle humor present as a result." (Sizer 2005)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Open Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps