Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums
Topic Closed  Topic Closed
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » Other Television Shows » ST Magazine 03/2002 anyone? (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: ST Magazine 03/2002 anyone?
Bernd
Guy from Old Europe
Member # 6

- posted      Profile for Bernd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Someone told me that a letter by me (no, not about Akiraprise, but about "American world domaination") is printed in the March issue. Anyone already have 03/2002?

--------------------
Bernd Schneider

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That's ridiculous.

We haven't touched Siberia at ALL.

[Smile]

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

Hobbes
 Homicidal Psycho Jungle Cat 
Member # 138

- posted      Profile for Hobbes     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
March issue won't be coming out until early February.

I'd like to see them print your letter. God knows I've written to them enough times with hard questions. Which they ignore, because it would actually require thought unlike letters asking "What was Picard's name when he was assimilated?"

I wrote them once saying that planes attached to the USS Enterprise CV-6 had an arrow symbol similar to that of Starfleet's insignia. Since during TOS the arrowhead was limited to the Enterprise and in WWII the arrowhead was limited to the Enterprise I wonder if it was a coincidence or intentional.

--------------------
I'm slightly annoyed at Hobbes' rather rude decision to be much more attractive than me though. That's just rude. - PsyLiam, Oct 27, 2005.

Bernd
Guy from Old Europe
Member # 6

- posted      Profile for Bernd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There are often intelligent questions and answers too. Well, they are not always right, but I think there is something who gives the answers some thought or asks someone who must know. But I agree, many questions are already irrelevant.

--------------------
Bernd Schneider

The_Tom
recently silent
Member # 38

- posted      Profile for The_Tom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Subscription-issues are apparently arriving in mailboxes from today onwards, with the newsstand copies presumably not going to show up for another week or so.

--------------------
"I was surprised by the matter-of-factness of Kafka's narration, and the subtle humor present as a result." (Sizer 2005)

Harry
Stormwind City Guard
Member # 265

- posted      Profile for Harry     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There are also supposed to be Niagara and Freedom briefings in it. Perhaps some new stuff?
Wes
Over 20 years here? Holy cow.
Member # 212

- posted      Profile for Wes     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
They really, really need to lower thier subscription price though. I subscibed to one year (the first one) and it was like $50-%60... just sick when I get Maxim (a very nice mens mag) for $24 a year.
Shik
Starship database: completed; History of Starfleet: done; website: probably never
Member # 343

- posted      Profile for Shik     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Bernd, I saw the issue in the store today. Your letter IS indeed in there, along with a pansy-ass pissant reply that actually HELPED your case. (they mentioned the deleted TVH scene with Sulu's anxcestor in San Francisco)

The Freedom & Niagara articles are about as informative as usual (read: "not at all") the schematics are just as accurate. The Niagara images are just a rehash of the Fact Files ones & not at all like your accurate fix.

--------------------
"The French have a saying: 'mise en place'—keep everything in its fucking place!"

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I don't suppose someone could post the article and the response ... (or a scan of such)? Be nice.

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

Bernd
Guy from Old Europe
Member # 6

--------

Dear ST Magazine staff,

As a German Star Trek fan, I feel the need to complain about the almost total absence of human cultural diversity in Enterprise. While Anglo-American customs, sports, food, places, and names were already overemphasized in the four previous series (with two thirds of all humans ever shown having British or Irish last names, for instance), the American dominance in Enterprise is literally universal. Hoshi Sato's heritage, Phlox's mention of Chinese food, the Amazon University and maybe one or two references I may have missed (as of "Fortunate Son"), that's everything foreign in a series in which "human" seems to be equivalent to "Anglo-American".

I agree that it is an American TV series (and I'm not even supposed to view it yet in Europe) in which some patriotism may seem opportune in these days. But even in present-day USA I have witnessed much more diversity than there is supposed to be on a united Earth in 150 years! And isn't Star Trek about *all humanity* exploring space? Didn't Gene Roddenberry intentionally include some characters and customs of different cultures, and shouldn't this be even rather possible and necessary in the current process of globalization? Enterprise, the way it is, explicitly demotes foreign fans to bystanders of the American adventure. Just some points to think about for the producers and writers. As a start, it wouldn't hurt to give several of the guest characters or ships foreign names.

Feel free to print this in the "Letters" section and keep up your great work!

Kind regards from the jungle, [Wink]

Bernd Schneider

--------

"You make a fair point, but it seems likely that, at this point in Earth's history, the idea of the nation state is still in place. We should remember that even on Kirk's ship the majority of the crew appeared to have American origins, incuding Sulu, as a deleted scene from STAR TREK IV: THE VOYAGE HOME would have shown."

--------

--------------------
Bernd Schneider

Hobbes
 Homicidal Psycho Jungle Cat 
Member # 138

- posted      Profile for Hobbes     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hmm, gotta get this issue and see their response.

Not only are you not suppose to get Enterprise in Germany yet, but you aren't suppose to get The Magazine either. I'm pretty sure it's not available in Europe since you guys already have the Fact Files.

--------------------
I'm slightly annoyed at Hobbes' rather rude decision to be much more attractive than me though. That's just rude. - PsyLiam, Oct 27, 2005.

J
Member # 608

- posted      Profile for J     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hobbes you should know better than that... Bernd is an "almost all seeing, and almost all knowing" Trekkie. He has more connections than the CIA!

Bernd probably has agents in the US and a trans-Atlantic version of one of those vacuum tube mail systems. It just takes a while for a video tape or magazine to travel that distance.
___
And no need to speak on this Bernd. All of us know that you can't confirm or deny these. And even if you did, the consequences for those you did would be quite dire. So please, just remain silent.

[Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin]

--------------------
Later, J
_ _ _ _ _ ___ _ _ _ _ _
The Last Person to post in the late Voyager Forum. Bashing both Voyager, Enterprise, and "The Bun" in one glorious post.

[email protected]
http://webj.cjb.net

capped
I WAS IN THE FUTURE, IT WAS TOO LATE TO RSVP
Member # 709

- posted      Profile for capped     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 

Damn smileys should have known better than to talk.. it was a threat to Bernd's security

[ February 01, 2002, 22:55: Message edited by: CaptainMike ]

--------------------
"Are you worried that your thoughts are not quite.. clear?"

colin
Member # 217

- posted      Profile for colin         Edit/Delete Post 
The answer as given by the magazine is lazy. Instead of attempting to address the issue direct-on, they respond with an answer that deflects the questions raised by Bernd.

If we are to understand the timeline of the franchise, there is an united Earth when the series begins. If so, this would suggest that the nations of the earth saw themselves as members of a planet state. The notion of nation states would be less important, and may perhaps not drive the selection process of who explores or trades in space.
Returning to the magazine, I never did like it. I feel that it is a summary of canonical facts, no more, no less. There is no speculation, no musing, no additional information. Anyone of us can do a better job than these people. I think that Bernd is one such example of someone who has gone beyond the source material and has attempted, at least partially, to create a working database of Star Trek knowledge.

Boris
Member # 713

- posted      Profile for Boris     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The Magazine says that a single American nation state is an explanation for traditional Anglo-Saxon American culture, which is still wrong, regardless of whether or not the nation-state was an influence in Archer's time.

Being a foreigner who had never been to the United States until a few years ago, I, too, had thought of the US as a single unified state with those same American values that tend to be exported abroad. And then I came to New York -- I literally felt like New York had been taken over by foreigners like myself, and that America is really a collection of foreigners with different cultures who just happen to live and work on the same spot.

Of course, New York is nowhere near representative of all America -- however, why should Star Trek look like it came from Iowa? Why not simply drop all the casting indications and simply take the best actor, regardless of sex or cultural background? That way, you'll get greater realism -- this way, it's kinda like affirmative action ("Ok, we need so many blacks and so many whites and so many Hispanics and we've got diversity!")

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Open Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps