Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums
Topic Closed  Topic Closed
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » Other Television Shows » ST Magazine 03/2002 anyone? (Page 2)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: ST Magazine 03/2002 anyone?
colin
Member # 217

- posted      Profile for colin         Edit/Delete Post 
America is unique. I agree with the author who said that my country is a salad, and not with the fool who said that we are a melting pot. We are a nation with many cultures, many opinions, many contentions.

I understand the point of view of the Star Trek writers. They write what they know or have experienced. Many are raised in the Midwest or the upper West. In those states, there is far less diversity than in a city like New York.

For myself, I experience this often. I am white and I associate with whites more freely and comfortably than I do with colored peoples. The colored peoples associate with their kind more freely than they do with me. I see this at work.

At work, we have four 'races': the whites, the blacks, the people south and east of the border, and the people west of Hawaii. The second and the fourth are less prevalent. The people of the third they congregate amongst themselves, speaking their native languages and sharing the values that are common in their worlds. Whites do the same.

Our television programs reflect this real world trend, and attempt to homogenize every aspect of our culture. In the process, that which is foreign to the largely white owned corporations, is given lip service and is treated as a novelty. Star Trek is run by white people in a white owned corporation. If you want diversity and cultural richness, you will not find it here.

To find it, visit some of our more cosmopolitan cities, like New York. Then write a story in the Star Trek world based upon your experiences in that city. Make diversity part of your story.

[ February 04, 2002, 01:04: Message edited by: targetemployee ]

Bernd
Guy from Old Europe
Member # 6

- posted      Profile for Bernd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If we take the response of the ST Magazine seriously, it would mean that Enterprise is an American ship of the American Starfleet. The other nation states still exist, but they have no space technology, and America just doesn't let them go into space - their friends in Britain being the only exception. When the guy (Williams or Leonard?) in Broken Bow said "It happened on our soil", he would clearly mean the USA. On the other hand, why does everyone always talk of "humans" instead of "Americans"? There is a clear contradiction between the words and the implications the ST Magazine didn't (want to) comment on.

quote:
America is unique. I agree with the author who said that my country is a salad, and not with the fool who said that we are a melting pot. We are a nation with many cultures, many opinions, many contentions.
Exactly my impression. I think cultural diversity in every-day life (at least in the cities) is chaotic. In contrast, it is a quota of diversity among the otherwise homogenous Americans in the media. "See, we respect minorities, we are multi-cultural and open-minded!" Have a black news anchorwoman here and an Asian restaurant in a movie which exclusively deals with white Americans - or one black and one Asian (American) on an American starship. There may be "Anglo-American islands" in present-day America, but as a vision of the future of the whole world (and even of America only) it just makes no sense.

Top secret: My agents are already on the way to install "Americanism filters" in Braga's computer at Paramount. [Wink]

--------------------
Bernd Schneider

Shik
Starship database: completed; History of Starfleet: done; website: probably never
Member # 343

- posted      Profile for Shik     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This is far more widespread than TV. February in America is--besides sweeps month--"Black History Month." I was having a discussion yesterday & this morning with a coworker & my boss--both of whom happen to be black. I mentioned that it's a very nice idea in theory--set aside a time to explore a section of history that one might not necessarily be privy to--but one that's bound in hypocrisy: "We want to be considered equal & not have race be a factor...but we also want to use it to set ourselves apart." This is something that plays right into & is exploited by the "white power majority."

Think about it. A Hispanic character is going to be Luis, Miguel, or Maria. A black girl will be LaWanda, a guy Lamar. Asians are Kim or Nakamura. Germans are Schmidt or Wolf, Jews are some "-stein" variant. It's all how TPTB perceive the world around them. The fact of the matter is that until there's a change in the practices of this nation & this society, the status quo shall reamin standing.

--------------------
"The French have a saying: 'mise en place'—keep everything in its fucking place!"

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
"On the other hand, why does everyone always talk of 'humans' instead of 'Americans'?"

Well, that wouldn't be so unusual, even if it were a US ship. After all, Armstrong didn't step out of the Eagle and say "That's one small step for an American, one giant leap for Americakind.".

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
the people west of Hawaii
Who, mermen?
Bernd
Guy from Old Europe
Member # 6

- posted      Profile for Bernd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Well, that wouldn't be so unusual, even if it were a US ship. After all, Armstrong didn't step out of the Eagle and say "That's one small step for an American, one giant leap for Americakind.".
Of course, as humans meet aliens or get away from Earth (and if it's only as far as to the moon), they would talk of humanity as a whole. That way, Americans would be (go on?) patronizing the rest of humanity just as they claim the Vulcans do.
First of Two
Better than you
Member # 16

- posted      Profile for First of Two     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Salad? I like salad. Except that I HATE tomatoes, somebody's ALWAYS putting tomatoes is my salad. Can I throw the tomatoes out, because I hate them?

I much prefer stew. Every bit of food keeps its separate identity.. but ALSO blends a bit and lends its flavor to a broth that covers everything.. and makes it tase better, IMHO. Plus, you can use the broth like gravy to make other things better.

Make stew, America!

--------------------
"The best defense is not a good offense. The best defense is a terrifyingly accurate and devastatingly powerful offense, with multiply-overlapping kill zones and time-on-target artillery strikes." -- Laurence, Archangel of the Sword

EdipisReks
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
i agree, throw out the tomatoes.

--jacob

IP: Logged
Wes
Over 20 years here? Holy cow.
Member # 212

- posted      Profile for Wes     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I belive Star Trek has certainly kept its diversity in check, while continuing to be realistic. Jumping into space today, we see black people, asian people, british people, brazilian people, chinese people, russian people, and so on going into space - most of these people american citizens.

I dont belive it would be diffrent in 100 years.

Star Trek is known for its diversity. I know its trendy to go against the grain (ie: bashing popular movies, ideas...) but I dont think it would be correct to say Star Trek has any more of a responsibility to include the character types you have mentioned then it did 30 years ago.

I know a lot of people hate hearing it, but its an entertainment franchise -- its there to make money and to generally give people a good time. I think it does its job very well. [Embarrassed] )

PS: Ditch the tomatos, keep the artachoke hearts!

[ February 05, 2002, 12:40: Message edited by: Wes ]

Hobbes
 Homicidal Psycho Jungle Cat 
Member # 138

- posted      Profile for Hobbes     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The problem is when you include another culture in American TV you get what 'Not Another Teen Movie' calls the "token black guy". In other words, he's there simply to show diversity, but not taken as seriously. In the case of Enterprise you could call Phlox the token alien.

IMO it's hard to show real diversity when it's mainly as a sterotype or to do it for the sake of it.

--------------------
I'm slightly annoyed at Hobbes' rather rude decision to be much more attractive than me though. That's just rude. - PsyLiam, Oct 27, 2005.

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Er...Phlox is a character not taken seriously who exists only as a stereotype? Your planet sounds frightening, and I must make a note never to visit it.
TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Isn't calling Phlox the "token alien" about like calling Tucker the "token white American"? Because, of course, we all imagined T'Pol and Archer. They aren't really on the show at all.
Wes
Over 20 years here? Holy cow.
Member # 212

- posted      Profile for Wes     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I can see hobbes point - why the need to further deviseify trek when the current 'minorities' are already said to be the token (insert asian/black/irish/russian... here).

Its clear that in Star Trek, the federation, warp drive, and life as we know it was founded on american soil.

Bernd
Guy from Old Europe
Member # 6

quote:
Star Trek is known for its diversity. I know its trendy to go against the grain (ie: bashing popular movies, ideas...) but I dont think it would be correct to say Star Trek has any more of a responsibility to include the character types you have mentioned then it did 30 years ago.
Hmm, yes. There should be no reason at any time to exclude a certain part of the (American or World) population from being on TV. I would rather say that, 30 years ago, it was a matter of Cold War and Red/Yellow Danger that may *explain* why Star Trek, like everything else on TV, represented a majority of white male Americans. Clearly, this excuse doesn't exist any longer today.

Actually the development in "real world TV" has long overtaken Star Trek. In the 60s it was something radical to have black people in "white roles", and it was only accepted as something that might come true in the far future. Now, 30 years later, Star Trek isn't anything like avant-garde in this respect. On the contrary, the setting (of characters and places) of Enterprise is the least progressive ever in the franchise.

--------------------
Bernd Schneider

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

I'm curious what solution people would suggest. If a certain group isn't represented, people claim there isn't enough diversity. If there is a member of that group, people say he/she/it is just "token". So you can't leave them out, and you can't include them; what can you do?
  This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Open Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps