Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums
Topic Closed  Topic Closed
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » Other Television Shows » $$$ Let's Get Rockin' on "Sleeping Dogs" -- Spoilers (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: $$$ Let's Get Rockin' on "Sleeping Dogs" -- Spoilers
Siegfried
Fullmetal Pompatus
Member # 29

- posted      Profile for Siegfried     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Pre-emptive thread posting!

As an aside, I have a question for our Canadian friends. Are y'all still getting to see the new episodes of Enterprise the day before the rest of us do?

--------------------
The philosopher's stone. Those who possess it are no longer bound by the laws of equivalent exchange in alchemy. They gain without sacrifice and create without equal exchange. We searched for it, and we found it.

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, among other things, we learn that the cold hasn't been cured yet (although it will be cured by TNG's 1st season). Not sure if it was cured by TOS or not.

The old style sidearm had "particle drift" that the phase pistol doesn't -- apparently, that difference makes it difficult to aim the new weapon (for Hoshi, anyway).

The Klingon scout-ship has a crew of a dozen.

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

David Templar
Saint of Rabid Pikachu
Member # 580

- posted      Profile for David Templar     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It's good to be Canadian. [Big Grin]

Hmm... Not much to say, already posted most of the stuff on the tech forum. For an episode with so much new stuff, there's actually little for me to talk about.

--------------------
"God's in his heaven. All's right with the world."

Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

- posted      Profile for Mark Nguyen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Two words: Sauna scene. With Hoshi and T'Pol. [Smile] Odd, we were all in a fluff with the gratuitous rubbing in the pilot, but with this one no one I know has complained yet...

And yes, plenty of us Canadians still get Enterpirse a day before you do. God bless A-Channel for sticking it to America!

Mark

--------------------
"This is my timey-wimey detector. Goes ding when there's stuff." - Doctor Who
The 404s - Improv Comedy | Mark's Starship Bridge Designs | Anime Alberta

The Vulcan
Member # 633

- posted      Profile for The Vulcan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I got the cold 4 weeks ago, jeez it was harsh, I almost threw up on my test from all the coughing.

--------------------
Die please.

k, thx.

Hobbes
 Homicidal Psycho Jungle Cat 
Member # 138

- posted      Profile for Hobbes     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm sure the cold hasn't been cured by TOS. Too bad T'Pol and Sato weren't rubbing each other down with gel. That would have made my day.

I like the new Klingon ship. Otherwise I can't think of much to say about this episode.

--------------------
I'm slightly annoyed at Hobbes' rather rude decision to be much more attractive than me though. That's just rude. - PsyLiam, Oct 27, 2005.

Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
"Particle drift?" *makes note*

*pauses*

Er, WTF is particle drift? My guess would mean some sort of dispersion of the energy projectile, making it more like a shotgun and therefore difficult for anyone to miss with. 8)

--------------------
Never mind the Phlox - Here's the Phase Pistols

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I was thinking more along the lines of a recoil, similar to a semi-automatic handgun. Those who used the previous weapon were used to having to adjust to the recoil, and this is backed up by what Reed says: "just point and shoot."

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The cold was not cured in TOS. McCoy once made a reference to it, but I forget what episode. It was one I just saw recently...
Grokca
Member # 722

- posted      Profile for Grokca     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I could be wrong but wasn't it in "The Deadly Years"

--------------------
"and none of your usual boobery."
M. Burns

The_Tom
recently silent
Member # 38

- posted      Profile for The_Tom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
*lapses in technobabble mode*

Presumably the EM-33 creates a magnetic pocket inside which is a lot of hot, ionized and all-around ow-causing gas. However, presumably this plasma still obeys Newtonian physics and drifts behind the magnetic packet, and thus the plasma ends up denser towards the back of the actual bolt. Thus, the actual smack of a plasma pulse weapon would hit a little after the actual bolt does, making hitting a moving target a little more complicated.

--------------------
"I was surprised by the matter-of-factness of Kafka's narration, and the subtle humor present as a result." (Sizer 2005)

The_Tom
recently silent
Member # 38

- posted      Profile for The_Tom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ψ!

[ January 31, 2002, 11:25: Message edited by: The_Tom ]

--------------------
"I was surprised by the matter-of-factness of Kafka's narration, and the subtle humor present as a result." (Sizer 2005)

Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Er. . . right. I think I'll just paste that entire paragraph onto the page rather than try to paraphrase it. 8)

--------------------
Never mind the Phlox - Here's the Phase Pistols

Siegfried
Fullmetal Pompatus
Member # 29

- posted      Profile for Siegfried     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
"Sleeping Dogs" was a pretty good episode, I thought. It was definitely focused on T'Pol and Sato, in my opinion. Reed and Archer got some pretty strong secondary roles here, but I think this was definitely an episode for the women (on the cast, not a chick-episode or anything).

Surprisingly, I liked the decomtamination scene. I think it works much better when the crew aren't rubbing a disinfectant gel on each other. Seeing Sato in her underwear was... pleasant. [Smile]

Two things bothered me about the episode. The first thing was the apparent lack of time. Reed mentions as soon as they get on the Raptor that the hull will fail in about twenty to thirty minutes. However, it seems that the events of the episode take place over the course of several hours. Also, at the end of the episode, Klingon reinforcements were due to reach Enterprise's position in sixteen minutes, yet I perceived that more than sixteen minutes transpired between the Raptor escaping the planet and getting Archer and company back to Enterprise.

The second thing that bothered me was that the Klingon engineer, who had never seen nor heard of the humans before, was able to take the shuttle pod, pilot it, and send a distress call all using the shuttle's English controls. A bit sloppy on the plotline there.

The rest of the episode was solid. Sato is fitting into the idea of being an explorer, but she still is a bit scared of the whole idea. T'Pol is definitely toning down her anti-human tendencies. It'll be nice to see a lasting friendship form between Sato and T'Pol. I liked how she decided to go with Reed and Sato and convince Phlox to let them stay in the decomtanination chamber. Archer's finally getting the idea that the Klingons are not a race to be triffled with. He's at least getting the idea that you shouldn't treat the Klingons with pleasantries and the like. I liked his comments to the Klingon captain; I think it came off a lot more solid than the directive speech in "Dear Doctor." Still, it's obvious that Archer isn't as experienced a captain as he ought to be. He waits until the third encounter with the Klingons to study them?

All in all, though, pretty good.

--------------------
The philosopher's stone. Those who possess it are no longer bound by the laws of equivalent exchange in alchemy. They gain without sacrifice and create without equal exchange. We searched for it, and we found it.

Hobbes
 Homicidal Psycho Jungle Cat 
Member # 138

- posted      Profile for Hobbes     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Speaking of Klingons. The Klingon captain was played by Vaughn Armstrong, who plays Admiral Forrest along with a bunch of other aliens in Star Trek. This guy really gets around, wearing almost all the alien makeup designs.

--------------------
I'm slightly annoyed at Hobbes' rather rude decision to be much more attractive than me though. That's just rude. - PsyLiam, Oct 27, 2005.

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Open Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps