Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums
Topic Closed  Topic Closed
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » Other Television Shows » "Fusion" $ynop$i$ $poiler$ (Page 3)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: "Fusion" $ynop$i$ $poiler$
Timo
Member # 245

- posted      Profile for Timo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I guess there are more varieties to Vulcan touch telepathy than just the mind meld. The varieties used for childhood bonding or deathbed katra-dumping or for sex would not count as "mind melds", not in the sense of communication or interrogation that Spock or Tuvok used them.

T'Pol would probably balk at the mere suggestion of a connection between the proposed mind meld and any of the above three variants. As in, "you suggest we PLAY CHILDREN?" or "you suggest we PLAY DEAD?" or "you suggest we PLAY PON FARR?"...

Timo Saloniemi

Grokca
Member # 722

- posted      Profile for Grokca     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I was not refering to katra giving but in TMP she asked for Spocks thoughts which would be a mind meld.

--------------------
"and none of your usual boobery."
M. Burns

Shik
Starship database: completed; History of Starfleet: done; website: probably never
Member # 343

- posted      Profile for Shik     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sarek said the same thing to Kirk in ST3 ("KIRK! I MUST have your thoughts. Will you allow me to join your mind?") Was that not a meld, or perhaps Sarek dabbles in psychiatry in his off-hours?

--------------------
"The French have a saying: 'mise en place'—keep everything in its fucking place!"

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Bear in mind, of course, that TOS and the movies are more than a century after ENT. Now, it seems kind of strange that mild-melds would go from being used for three specific occasions to being relatively common practice in just that time. However, I believe that's what people are trying to say happened.
Timo
Member # 245

- posted      Profile for Timo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm not sure if being inspected by High Masters of Kolinahr should count as a "common occurrence". And being frisked by an emotionally fraught Vulcan father might be a rare situation, too.

But there's no question that mind melds are a common occurrence in the 24th century, where Tuvok uses them with abandon for both tactical gain and therapy. Perhaps they have also become somewhat "secularized" in that era. Tuvok reveals in "Innocence" that the excistence of the katra is not universally accepted by Vulcans. Perhaps a sacred rite dealing with katra transfer becomes less sacred and more pragmatically utilizable if you don't believe in a katra...

Timo Saloniemi

Shik
Starship database: completed; History of Starfleet: done; website: probably never
Member # 343

- posted      Profile for Shik     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, Spock himself seems to have a hard-on for melding with alien intelligences--the horta, Eminians, Nomad. The best line comes from A.C. Crispin's "Time For Yesterday"--

"Damn it, Spock! This is the second time you've pulled this stunt! First V'GeEr, now the Guardian!I swear, if you ever sneak off to try mind-melding with an alien intelligence again, I'm going to boot you out the nearest airlock without a suit! We'll see if keelhauling is possible in space! Understand?"

--------------------
"The French have a saying: 'mise en place'—keep everything in its fucking place!"

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Open Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps