Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums
Topic Closed  Topic Closed
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » Other Television Shows » Time is such a fickle thing... (Page 2)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: Time is such a fickle thing...
Saiyanman Benjita
...in 2012. This time, why not the worst?
Member # 122

- posted      Profile for Saiyanman Benjita     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
*blink* *blink* woah... Spinning... The room...

Yeah, there hasn't been one real precident in the Star Trek "Universe", has there? (You'll forgive me for not quoting ep. titles. It's late and I'm not that good at remembering more than the general idea).

You've got moving backwards in time (USS Enterprise NCC 1701- No bloody A, B, C, or D) where the clock is spinning backwards. I don't think this one's really a precident, just a prop showing the viewers what's happening without out and saying "Captain, we're moving backwards in time." (Oh wait...).

Then there's Warp 10 slingshot around the sun. Wait, Warp 10's not possible, is it? Especially not in a Klingon Bird of Prey. Wouldn't Warp 10 send you into an infinite loop (read "Vendetta")

There's the episode where Enterprise encounters thousands, hundreds of thousands of "itself"s. The theory that has been mentioned previously in this thread.

Still another is the field emitted by the Borg in First Contact. Of course, if they could do that in the beginning, why didn't they? Of course the answer is probably that technology would be better now than it was then. What was this, revenge? I thought revenge was a human emotion and thus irrelevant. This is a discussion for another day.

Was this the same field used in Endgame? I don't know, but there's that.

There's many more, but I can't think of them (or missed those eps. Shows what kind of Trekker I am [Razz] )

When Trunks returns to his future after giving Goku the medicine, how does he return to his own future and not the one of the line he altered? Not only that, but he does it again after Cell is defeated, causing another shift in Earth's history. Could it be possible to jump from one reality to another, like when Kirk and co. jump to the "evil" Enterprise?

In "Time Cop" where they say the same matter can't occupy the same space, why does the Senator disintigrate when he touches his counterpart. Wouldn't they be safe unless the exact atoms in the exact cells touch on each body (ex. finger to finger)?

And then there's Back to the Future II... Um, I think I'll withdraw from that one.

It could also be possible that all of the above are possible. Since we only see time as a linear constant (stupid human four-dimension thinking), we can't visualize what is happening whenever time is altered. It is possible that an infinite number of universes exist. If so, how do we determine which is the correct universe? We can't, and unfortunately Star Trek can't show them all (Except the Enterprise copies episode).

It could aslo be possible that I'm babbling on and on and need to sleep. Can anyone find my car so I can go home? I think it's parked five seconds in the future.

[ April 11, 2002, 20:18: Message edited by: Saiyanman Benjita ]

--------------------
You've got to be kidding!
I'm wet, I'm naked, your sister is wearing my clothes
And this is all part of some evil plot to rule the world as a soggy chimp in my BIRTHDAY SUIT???!!!

Matrix
AMEAN McAvoy
Member # 376

- posted      Profile for Matrix     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
First time I seen a DBZ name on this board...

In my own opinion if you think about it, time is a human concept of us measuring events on how long it took to do something. Its the same thing with emptiness, emptiness can not be a color, sound or anything because otherwise you would be adding a human quality to it.

There are theories out there that if we could capture the light somehow travling through space at one point and make is 3D we could see the past.

--------------------
Matrix
If you say so
If you want so
Then do so

Mucus
Member # 24

- posted      Profile for Mucus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, kinda splitting hairs here.....but you're always looking at the past no matter what direction or what light you're looking at.
Sure, the effect is more pronounced if you're looking at a star or something, but technically....you're always out of date.

There's no need to:
quote:
capture the light somehow travling through space at one point and make is 3D[sic.]
Also....in reply to the earlier post, there are plenty more examples, the Guardian of Forever, hitting a black hole, (using a sling-shot doesn't need warp 10), a Nexus, hitching a ride on the Relativity, getting stuck in a time loop and continuously getting blown up, going through a time warp and losing your head to Samuel Clemens, the possibilities are endless....(in Star Trek [Wink] )

[ April 12, 2002, 14:02: Message edited by: Mucus ]

Matrix
AMEAN McAvoy
Member # 376

- posted      Profile for Matrix     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Technically, Mucus, you wrong. If you think about it, light is not instant, it does travel at a fixed speed which can be pulled or pushed form the original path by gravity or electromagentic fields, nuclear fields (3 of 4 known forces in the universe) which could bring the starts off by a few degrees. If we travel faster than light and somehow find where the light is form lets 1923, somehow stretch it and make it 3D.

But yes you are correct that when you look at me, you see a .0000000000000000000000001 of a second earlier than where I am.

--------------------
Matrix
If you say so
If you want so
Then do so

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ok, I call foul.
Saiyanman Benjita
Member # 122

- posted      Profile for Saiyanman Benjita     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've been around for 3 years and this is the first time you've seen me? Wow. I'm touched (in the head).

Sol - Foul to what? Hope it's not me.

--------------------
And this is all part of some evil plot to rule the world as a soggy chimp in my BIRTHDAY SUIT???!!!

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Foul to the lengthy collection of science-sounding terms just above you there, actually.
Matrix
AMEAN McAvoy
Member # 376

What science sounding terms??

--------------------
Matrix
If you say so
If you want so
Then do so

Saiyanman Benjita
Member # 122

Um, how do you stretch light and make it 3D?

--------------------

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Actually, I've only just noticed you're using the technically accurate but incredibley anal translation of "Vegeta". At least, I think you are. I've no idea where than "n" has come from.

You do have a Mojo quote in your sig though, so I'll let you off.

Carry on.

[ April 21, 2002, 18:26: Message edited by: PsyLiam ]

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Is it possible, in Japanese, to have an 'n' in the middle of a word not followed by a vowel? My understanding of Japanese word structure is limited...
PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm not sure. From a tecnical point of view, accouting for the fact that certain letters do not exist in Japanese, "Bejita" would be an accurate translation of the characters name. However, since it's suppossed to be a pun on the English word "vegetable", then "Vegeta" is much closer to what the author had intended.

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

Saiyanman Benjita
Member # 122

TSN - Yes, it is. The 'n' is the only letter in the kana alphabet that does not have a vowel sound to it. There is also use of the double consanant such as 'ss' 'tt', etc., where the double consanants are followed by a vowel.

The writing of Vegeta in Japanese is Be-ji-ta(Be- since there is historically no 'v' sound). Adding the 'n' isn't that hard. With my real name being Benjamin (Ben, Benji to some), the nickname makes more sense (and less like I'm trying to be Japanese anime anal)...

I've had this nickname for 5 years now and this is the first time I've seen anyone question it in this way? Could it be DBZ's getting too big?

[ April 24, 2002, 05:02: Message edited by: Saiyanman Benjita ]

--------------------

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, I knew that 'n' was the only consonant than can appear w/o a following vowel (but there are "n + vowel" characters, too), but I wasn't sure whether it could show up in the middle of a word. For some reason, I thought it only came at the end.
Matrix
AMEAN McAvoy
Member # 376

Well, thats the problem Benjita that scientists don;t know how to make light physical. But it is possbile to see into the past through that light. Think about it, light travels very fast but not fast enough where is it instantenous travel, from point A to point B right? So the stars you see are the light from X amount years ago. Now we do have telescopes powerful enough to view some stars close up. Now within a few hundred years, we'll have telescopes powerful enough to see surfaces of planets.

Oh and Benjita, Bejita, Begeta, and so on are all correct. Though Vegeta is the real correct sounding name.

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Open Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps