Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums
Topic Closed  Topic Closed
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » Other Television Shows » Time is such a fickle thing... (Page 3)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: Time is such a fickle thing...
Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, yes, that's all very nice except that when you start talking about "making light physical" you're just spewing out nonsense.
capped
I WAS IN THE FUTURE, IT WAS TOO LATE TO RSVP
Member # 709

- posted      Profile for capped     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
its all done with mirrors

--------------------
"Are you worried that your thoughts are not quite.. clear?"

Saiyanman Benjita
...in 2012. This time, why not the worst?
Member # 122

- posted      Profile for Saiyanman Benjita     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Benjita is not "correct" when referring to Vegeta; I just assumed it as a nickname.

The 'n' consanent can go anywhere in a word except the beginning. That is all.

Well I understand the "time" property of light and how it shows a glimpse of the past, but I'm just not sure what you mean by making light "physical".

[ April 24, 2002, 18:31: Message edited by: Saiyanman Benjita ]

--------------------
You've got to be kidding!
I'm wet, I'm naked, your sister is wearing my clothes
And this is all part of some evil plot to rule the world as a soggy chimp in my BIRTHDAY SUIT???!!!

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm interested in all this, really.

So, Benny, how do you refer to the character on DBZ? As Bejita, or Vegeta?

And what do you call the little sometimes bald monk guy?

(Really, the only spelling that has ever annoyed me is "Gokou", because it's quite plainly not pronounced like that in any way at all. No. Oh, and "Buruma", because not only does that ignore the pun, it ignores the fact that she has her name, written in English, on most of her clothes).

So, light eh? Wow.

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

Saiyanman Benjita
Member # 122

- posted      Profile for Saiyanman Benjita     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
K, It is written Be-ji-i-ta, as referred during the Saiya-man saga tournament (Yes, I can read Kana). However, it is pronounced Vegeta (Vejiita, Vejeta, etc.). There has never been a 'N' in the word. Anyone who dropped the 'N' in referring to Vegeta is wrong. I just added that to make it more resemble my name (Ben, Benjamin, Benji, etc.).

Krillin is written Ku-ri-ri-n. In Japan, it's pronounced much the same, as 'R' and 'L' fall under the same letter. It translates as an 'r' (RA, RI, RU, RE, RO). The sound, however sounds like an 'L' with an 'R' sound mixed in (Hard to describe in writing). On his hat in Frieza (Fu-ri-i-za, BTW) saga, it is written as "KUILIN".

Bulma is written in Katakana as Bu-ru-ma. It is pronounced much the same way, as 'RU' is one of the 'U' sounds that doesn't silence the 'U' (the 'U's that are silenced follow 'KU' 'SU' and 'TSU'). On all her clothes, it is written as "Bulma", so the English translation is correct, and the 'u' isn't necessary.

Gokou is just wrong. The case where his name is written, it's either Go-ku (In kana), or Gokuu (In the eposode where he and Piccolo go to driving school and Piccolo's wearing the hat with "GOKUU" on it). "Gokou" would make it seem his name is pronounced "Gokoo" (where the double "OO" means a long "O" {like in boat} and not an "U" sound).

Personally, I have no qualm with the English translation. They're very accurate, while making it easier for our pronounciation. Rather than calling her "Buh-ruu-maa", which wouldn't roll quite well, "Bulma" is easy to say, write, and associate with Bloomers.

The problem I have is with the people who write the Japanese words wrong and yell at the English speakers that they should refer to them in the Japanese. They need to fix their writing before they start bashing others. It's like my wife trying to correct her mother's English when she keeps saying "It needs washed." "The cat needs smacked.", etc. (If you don't know what's wrong in those sentences, ask.)

In summation, I normally use the English translations/spellings. Mostly because I play the game, and I deal with mostly English watching viewers. However, I've slipped and said/written the Japanese translations. However when you're referring to DBZ, they aren't that different. Not like saying "Kasumi" when referring to Pok�mon. People look at me weird, and I explain. It's Misty, but when referring to the comics, I use Kasumi, because she's a very different character in the comics (sexier, less merciful in battle, and slightly older).

-----------------------------------

On a side note: Yes there is a Kana for 'V', but it's very rarely used (It's a 'U' with quote marks {called dakuten in Japanese}, followed by a small Katakana of the vowel to follow). The 'B' symbols are more widely recognized, as they have been used for that sound far more and longer than the Kana for 'V'

[ April 27, 2002, 10:15: Message edited by: Saiyanman Benjita ]

--------------------
And this is all part of some evil plot to rule the world as a soggy chimp in my BIRTHDAY SUIT???!!!

Matrix
AMEAN McAvoy
Member # 376

- posted      Profile for Matrix     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I generally don't use Japanese names because I don't know how to spell them. But I understand what they mean.

As for the physical light, it was a theory once written in I think Popular Mechanics a few years back that I still remember.

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I tend to stick to the Viz translations myself, for no real reason at all. To be honest, "Krillen" is a lot easier to say that "Kuririn".

Still, people do take their anality a bit too far. I've seen Picollo written as "Picorro" on a couple of web-sites. And it was written that way once on the show too, but give Toryama a break, eh? English isn't his first language, and the show's already drowning in English puns.

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

Saiyanman Benjita
Member # 122

Yes, there are people who are far too anal. They take everything literally, though very little translates directly. Japanese language is infinitely different from English language. There are syllables that can't be directly translated, so the languages have to go with the closest thing possible. Anyone who says that "Pikorro" is the right way to say it and flames horribly anyone who doesn't agree (Yes, I've met those. Just want to shoot them sometimes...), doesn't think for a second (Lessee... Japanese gang names.... Tamubooriinu {Tambourine}, Duraamu {Drum}, Pianoo {Piano}, Pikorro {Piccolo} Isn't the pun obvious?). They need to reach up their ass and remove the offending object.

--------------------

Matrix
AMEAN McAvoy
Member # 376

- posted      Profile for Matrix     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, I have seen that many times. Also I am labeled as a Dubbie because I like to use dubbed names more than subbed names. What also kills me is that most people hate dubbed because it shows less blood and less curse words. Which to me is total bs right there.

--------------------
Matrix
If you say so
If you want so
Then do so

Saiyanman Benjita
Member # 122

Less blood makes it more viewable by the younger children (not 4-5, but more 8-10). Of course, they could watch it with the blood, but as a parent and former child (duh.), I don't see the blood as necessary. If you do, then childrens afternoon programming isn't for you. Watch Adult Swim (I watch that, too). It's pretty good, and less edited.

As for the cursing, cursing isn't necessary in any form. Anyone who views a show as lesser just because a few profanities are deleted or replaced is missing the point of the show.

The real value of the show isn't in the blood, curse words, or nudity. As long as the point of the show is unchanged, I have no problem. Who really cares if you don't get to see Sailor Venus' nipple outline while she transforms? It doesn't matter!

[ April 28, 2002, 13:57: Message edited by: Saiyanman Benjita ]

--------------------

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

Breast outline. I don't think the SM girls ever had nipple outlines.

I don't mind if swearing is absent, although I do hate "heck" and "darn". They sound pathetic and forced in life threatening situations. If you don't want to swear, think of different ways of saying things. Even "Curse you" sounds a lot stronger than "darn you".

As for the blood, hmm. The thing is, it IS a really violent show, and taking the blood out makes it seem a bit strange and empty. The fact that people are getting hurt drives the drama, and removing that can badly hurt the show itself. Yamcha getting impaled by the androids for instance just looked awful on TV, as it barely made sense.

--------------------

Matrix
AMEAN McAvoy
Member # 376

Well, ithey did air two versions of it on CN. One was the shitty version which is the cut version and the uncut version. Uncut is far better in the way that you see what can't be seen on the cut version. Such as blood, impaled people, cut up people, broken arms, dead people, etc.

Not as violent as subbed or pure Japanese, it does not enitrely subtract from the plot as much as the cut version does.

Of course you have those who need to complain about everything that is wrong in life, and will hate even uncut. He/She will raise hell in proclaiming this opinion. Trust me, I seen it happen many times.

Then its the issue with filler, which is in a whole another league altogether with haters and non-haters...

--------------------
Matrix
If you say so
If you want so
Then do so

Fedaykin Supastar
Member # 704

- posted      Profile for Fedaykin Supastar         Edit/Delete Post 
hehe well to a throw a spanner into the works, i dont like Japanese animation at all. HAH [Razz]
(i dunno if its ok to say this but) i did enjoy that anime film "Venus Wars" its supposed to be a classic - i hear

Buzz

[ May 05, 2002, 07:57: Message edited by: Fedaykin Supastar ]

--------------------
"Tom is Canadian. He thereby uses advanced humour tecniques, such as 'irony', 'sarcasm', and werid shit'. If you are not qualified in any of these, it will be risky for you to attempt to decipher what he means. Just smile and carry on."
- PsyLiam; 16th June

Saiyanman Benjita
Member # 122

well, everyone's entitled to their own opinions.

As far as SM, I think someone noticed a nipple outline that was left unedited in SMS. I haven't noticed it yet...

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Open Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps