Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums
Topic Closed  Topic Closed
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » Other Television Shows » $$ "Aquisition" $$ This is just WRONG. (Page 2)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: $$ "Aquisition" $$ This is just WRONG.
Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, but first they meet Ferengi without knowing who they are, next they meet Romulans without knowing what they look like. It's clumsy and lazy, as Andrew said.

--------------------
Never mind the Phlox - Here's the Phase Pistols

Timo
Member # 245

- posted      Profile for Timo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, the spoilers are out now for the first act (and snippets of act 2) of "Acquisition" - check out TrekWeb. Doesn't seem as if there's anything objectionable there as far as contiuity goes, nor anything dramatically unsound. Of course, whether the episode is enjoyable or not won't be revealed on the basis of the first act alone.

Some observations, though. We're apparently going to get un-subtitled alienspeak here, which I like a lot. But the script also seems to have moments where we'd need subtitles to understand what's really going on. I wonder how the final version will turn out.

Also, the Ferengi may be old hats in this space piracy business, but they are still impressed by the propulsion technology of the NX-01. Which may cause a few eyebrows to rise among those of us who think the Ferengi got their own warp drive by buying it ("Little Green Men"). Did they buy upgrades, or how did their warp tech keep apace with Earth's later on? Or were the Ferengi actually capable of improving on the tech once they had bought it, dispelling yet another stereotype about them?

There's some dialogue about how the Ferengi find the humans alien-looking, but since that's not subtitled we can probably ignore it (some of the "translations" provided in the script are obviously faulty anyway, as if a different person wrote the Ferengispeak and the supposed translations). Since about 99% of the galaxy's humanoid species look pretty much like humans and unlike Ferengi, that piece of dialogue isn't very plausible. Or is NX-01 really the first alien ship to be plundered by the Ferengi?

No mention of the "Last Outpost" style energy whips in the script, which I don't consider a big loss. I wonder if the "rifle" mentioned there will be the one the Ferengi used in "The Magnificent Ferengi" (also seen in Romulan hands in "Improbable Cause"/"The Die is Cast", however)?

The ship we're going to see will not be a Marauder, that much is sure - there's only a four-man crew there. It could be the TNG-era Ferengi pod, though. That would minimize the continuity problems, since Picard would not have seen such a pod in the Battle of Maxia nor in "The Last Outpost", and thus couldn't connect the ships he did see with the Ferengi EVEN if he had had some dusty 200-yr-old reports for bedtime reading recently. And I have no problem with the Ferengi using the same ship designs for several centuries - it just supports the idea that they bought the tech in the first place and aren't too interested in upgrades unless they bring profit.

Timo Saloniemi

Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Good analysis. I don't remember the Romulans using the Ferengi rifles (which, if it were in IC/TDiC, would have been the first appearance, earlier than TMF, and therefore they're more likely to be Romulan rifles, surely?), but I know they cropped up as other alien weapons in the Delta Quadrant. In the ep where the Voyager crew have dreams about fighting some alien war, "Memorial" was its name, or something like that. . .

--------------------
Never mind the Phlox - Here's the Phase Pistols

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I wonder if they are going to try and 'copy' the style of Ferengi language heard in "Little Green Men"?

And are they going to be wearing furs like the Season 1 TNG Ferengi? Or were those Ferengi just wearing them because they were poor?

--------------------
"Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica." - Jim Halpert. (The Office)

I'm LIZZING! - Liz Lemon (30 Rock)

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Furs might be a dress used by the Ferengi military (would "Merchant Marine", be a better term?), and not by pirates. My thoughts.

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

capped
I WAS IN THE FUTURE, IT WAS TOO LATE TO RSVP
Member # 709

- posted      Profile for capped     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There had probably been a sale on furs in Ferengi space in 2363. However they were cheaply made and didnt hold up well for wearing. They tried to retuyrn them but, well, no refunds you know.

--------------------
"Are you worried that your thoughts are not quite.. clear?"

The_Tom
recently silent
Member # 38

- posted      Profile for The_Tom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Earlier spoilers said the energy whips were making a trumphant return, actually.

--------------------
"I was surprised by the matter-of-factness of Kafka's narration, and the subtle humor present as a result." (Sizer 2005)

Mikey T
Driven
Member # 144

- posted      Profile for Mikey T     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
And this is why I am reserving my opinions about Enterprise until I see the entire first season.

--------------------
"It speaks to some basic human needs: that there is a tomorrow, it's not all going to be over with a big splash and a bomb, that the human race is improving, that we have things to be proud of as humans."
-Gene Roddenberry about Star Trek

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
"Furs might be a dress used by the Ferengi military...and not by pirates."

There's a difference?

MinutiaeMan
Living the Geeky Dream
Member # 444

- posted      Profile for MinutiaeMan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Here's a tidbit that some people seem to have forgotten, from "Balance of Terror" --

The reason no one knew what the Romulans looked like was because they did not have visual transmission technology at the time!

Oops... did they have the usual viewscreen just the same as all the other shows? [Roll Eyes]

--------------------
“Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.” — Isaac Asimov
Star Trek Minutiae | Memory Alpha

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Again, where on earth does this come from? Spock says that there was no visual communication between Earth (and allies) and Romulan forces. How does this equate to them being unable to communicate, rather than being unwilling?
The_Tom
recently silent
Member # 38

- posted      Profile for The_Tom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Besides, how patently stupid is the idea that visual communications will be impossible in 150 years? I suppose people would want us to believe that every webcam got atomized in World War III or something.

[ March 15, 2002, 19:00: Message edited by: The_Tom ]

--------------------
"I was surprised by the matter-of-factness of Kafka's narration, and the subtle humor present as a result." (Sizer 2005)

Fabrux
Epic Member
Member # 71

- posted      Profile for Fabrux     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Wasn't it that the Romulans couldn't communicate visually?

--------------------
I haul cardboard and cardboard accessories

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm pretty sure there was no indication of what was and was not possible. Merely what was actually done.
Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
So much for being a "Master of Detail" ... [Smile]
  This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Open Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps