Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums
Topic Closed  Topic Closed
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » Other Television Shows » $$ "Aquisition" $$ This is just WRONG. (Page 3)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: $$ "Aquisition" $$ This is just WRONG.
Matrix
AMEAN McAvoy
Member # 376

- posted      Profile for Matrix     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
For me whatever comes out of Spock's mouth in a conversation or spouting out facts, has to be the truth or close to it as you can get at that time. If Spock said that there was no face to face communications between Humans and Romulans, then there was no face to face communications between Humans and Romulans. Out of all the time he spouted calculations, and facts, he's going to mess this up? It was a war during the time of the founding of the Federation, everyone and their dog will know this by the 23rd century.

However lets fuck up the TOS, since one one will remember B.O.T.

I am not whining by the way, its just that you people are arguing over whether or not to take Spock's line seriously or not.

--------------------
Matrix
If you say so
If you want so
Then do so

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Please endeavor to actually read what we bother to post.
Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
But that would require him to not mindelessly bash Enterprise ...

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

Alshrim Dax
Member # 258

- posted      Profile for Alshrim Dax     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I agree with Sol on this one -- his last post and his prior one to that.

I think that with the Romulans being as paranoid as they are - they weren't unwilling to show themselves to the human - it gives them a tactical and strategic advantage -- what better way to keep an eye on the humans than to have a Romulan spy double as a Vulcan.

The Vulcans seem pretty sneaking in this series... who's to say half these vulcans aren't romulan..???

Far fetched.. I know.. but, hey...

[ March 18, 2002, 18:08: Message edited by: Alshrim ]

--------------------
o::{====> Alshrim Dax <====}::o

~ Cry Havoc - and let slip the dogs of war!

Mikey T
Driven
Member # 144

- posted      Profile for Mikey T     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ah... in TNG's Data's Day we saw a Romulan playing a Vulcan ambassador...

--------------------
"It speaks to some basic human needs: that there is a tomorrow, it's not all going to be over with a big splash and a bomb, that the human race is improving, that we have things to be proud of as humans."
-Gene Roddenberry about Star Trek

Saiyanman Benjita
...in 2012. This time, why not the worst?
Member # 122

- posted      Profile for Saiyanman Benjita     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hmm.... This is tough. However, this does not necessarily denote a lack of continuity. I'd agree that it may have been mostly the Romulans' choice to not use visual communications. It would definitely keep an advantage in their court, especially the weakness of their heritage.

As for Ferengi, not knowing their name, though maybe knowing their face could also be an advantage. In TNG, they mention that they've known about the Ferengi for some time. They've even had dealings with the Ferengi. However since nobody saw their faces in their dealings, they could not match them up. If they had dealings with Ferengi, not knowing the name of their species, the puzzle pieces aren't put together as easily.

It is also conceivable (however cheap on the writers' part) that many of the records from that time were destroyed or lost (maybe as part of the Romulan war...). Incontinuity on the part of the Star Trek Storyline is unavoidable with such an expansive timeline. Besides, the comment a couple pages ago about Star Trek Fans wanting to see their favourite species is a true one. And Ferengi, though more the comic relief than anything, is still amongst the top species.

Remember, our first contact with the Klingons was a disasterous one, right?

[ March 21, 2002, 08:16: Message edited by: Saiyanman Benjita ]

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Uh, we've been over that topic. Whose to say it wasn't disasterous? It doesn't matter if Archer & Co. think it went okay, it matters if the Klingons are pretty resentful of humans.

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

The_Tom
recently silent
Member # 38

- posted      Profile for The_Tom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If the episode is as funny as the promo, then I'm pretty sure it'll construe sufficient grounds for "recycling" the Ferengi.

--------------------
"I was surprised by the matter-of-factness of Kafka's narration, and the subtle humor present as a result." (Sizer 2005)

Wes
Over 20 years here? Holy cow.
Member # 212

- posted      Profile for Wes     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Malnurtured Snay:
Andrew,

Chill the fuck out. It's already been made clear that Archer & Co. never learn that the aliens are called Ferengi.

And given the discrepencies between TNG's early portrayals of Ferengi, why aren't you yelling at Moore, Braga, and Behr for "runining continuity"?

Exactly! I always wondered what the HELL happened to them. They almost did a 180 from TNG to DS9... people didnt pick at that...

i think people are just thirsty for more nitpick juice.

Wes
Over 20 years here? Holy cow.
Member # 212

- posted      Profile for Wes     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Some more questions.

IIRC, the Ferengi were mentioned durring the Farpoint mission. Once by Picard and im absolutely SURE that Geordi told a joke involving the Ferengi durring that mission.

So we know that the Ferengi are known at least as early as 2363... with no real mention of first contact with the ferengi till.. well I dunno.

Kosh
Perpetual Member
Member # 167

- posted      Profile for Kosh     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Do what I do when they ,anage to screw up something. Repeat to yourself, over and over.

First Contact changed everything. The timline for TOS no longer applies. The Enterprise-E interfered with the time line, and , (gasp) nothing's the same anymore!

[Cool]

--------------------
Sparky::
Think!
Question Authority, Authoritatively.
“Believe nothing of what you hear, and only half of what you see.”
EMSparks

Shalamar:
To save face, keep lower half shut.

The Mighty Monkey of Mim
SUPPOSED TO HAVE ICE POWERS!!
Member # 646

- posted      Profile for The Mighty Monkey of Mim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Uhh...that really wouldn't affect the Romulans or the Ferengi... [Roll Eyes]

-MMoM [Big Grin]

--------------------
The flaws we find most objectionable in others are often those we recognize in ourselves.

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Open Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps