Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums
Topic Closed  Topic Closed
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » Other Television Shows » So i was watching Star Wars...huh...um i mean Enterprise (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: So i was watching Star Wars...huh...um i mean Enterprise
Shik
Starship database: completed; History of Starfleet: done; website: probably never
Member # 343

- posted      Profile for Shik     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
"DAMN those Bedouin traders!! The Jawas did it FIRST!!"

--------------------
"The French have a saying: 'mise en place'—keep everything in its fucking place!"

EdipisReks
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
what, the bedouins have sand crawlers now?

--jacob

IP: Logged
MrNeutron
Member # 524

- posted      Profile for MrNeutron     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ok, I'll take a brief crack at this, just for the sake of argument. Both SW and ST mine the popular vein of SF. They also borrow from one another. Ok, so Enterprise does a desert planet and a ship with Star Destroyer like engines, but then one could conversely argue that A New Hope got tractor beams from Star Trek and hyperspace from Forbidden Planet.

Fact is, both of these franchises borrow from one another. They also both extensively and shamelessly borrow from what came before. As a very good article ("Galactic Gasbag" by Steven Hart) on Salon.com pointed out, Lucas has borrowed so much for Star Wars that it borders on plagiarism, notably how the midichlorians and the Jedi are part and parcel renamings of lenses and Lensmen, to wit:

quote:
Like the Jedi, Lensmen enforce order throughout the galaxy with an arsenal of paranormal powers that render them virtually invincible in combat. Where Jedi pay homage to the Force, Lensmen invoke the "Cosmic All." Lucas' Jedi get their Force quotient boosted by microscopic entities called midichlorians; Smith's heroes are turbocharged by "lenses," collections of crystalline, semi-sentient life forms attuned to their personalities. An early draft of "Star Wars" revolved around the search for the "Khiber crystal," which sounds an awful lot like one of Smith's lenses. There are even hints that Lucas has worked a Lensman-style breeding program into his saga, judging from the story of Anakin Skywalker's immaculate conception in "The Phantom Menace."

None of this is to mention all the stuff Lucas borrows from Dune, etc. And one could argue that the originas of Star Trek are Gene Roddenberry deciding to make a TV series out of Forbidden Planet (many many parallels, including the captain/first officer/doctor triangle, the stand up matter to energy converters for the crew, etc.).

So, sure Enterprise may be doing a little swiping of Star Wars look and feel here and there, but that's just in the grand tradition of both franchises.

It's just too bad they don't have to pay interest on what they borrowed...

--------------------
"Well, I mean, it's generally understood that, of all of the people in the world, Mike Nelson is the best." -- ULTRA MAGNUS, steadfast in curmudgeon

EdipisReks
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
roddenberry also borrowed heavily from the concept of the horatio hornblower series.

--jacob

IP: Logged
The Vulcan
Member # 633

- posted      Profile for The Vulcan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by MinutiaeMan:
I find it ironic that this guy is accusing US of not having open minds, when HE'S the one who's rather close-mindedly assuming that Enterprise is ripping off of Star Wars just because it's set on a desert planet...

and apparently, he stopped posting..

--------------------
Die please.

k, thx.

Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

- posted      Profile for Mark Nguyen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
At least until next time, whereupon he'll totally ignore anything we've posted in response.

Just. Like. Darkstar.

Mark

--------------------
"This is my timey-wimey detector. Goes ding when there's stuff." - Doctor Who
The 404s - Improv Comedy | Mark's Starship Bridge Designs | Anime Alberta

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Maybe he is Darkstar!

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

capped
I WAS IN THE FUTURE, IT WAS TOO LATE TO RSVP
Member # 709

- posted      Profile for capped     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Darkstar doesnt seem bright enough to pop in again under a different name.. seems to complex for him to grasp, IMO.

unless kpOt pops up and reminds us that we are, deep down inside, all gays and lesbians.

--------------------
"Are you worried that your thoughts are not quite.. clear?"

Fedaykin Supastar
Member # 704

- posted      Profile for Fedaykin Supastar         Edit/Delete Post 
haha,
that somehow reminds me about the time one of the members (i think it was Liam - altho i'm probly very wrong)
match made a few of the regulars wit each other!
and then Darkstar got really upset.

and [dont quote me on this but it's my opinion] that we cant be gays/lesbians deep down coz well deep down would be our instincts inherited (if we inherit instincts, i'm not too good wit this genetics and evolution stuff) from our ancestors. And wouldnt these (really) deep down instincts be that of our primal ancestors (assuming u suscribe to the "we evolved from monkeys" PoV). So these instincts would be that of surviving and procreating - and since we would have to procreate, we have to be in some way attracted to the opposite sex thus we cant be gays/;lesbians deep down?...just my thawts

Buzz

PS: they may need to change the location of this post if it should carry on

[ May 12, 2002, 03:22: Message edited by: Fedaykin Supastar ]

--------------------
"Tom is Canadian. He thereby uses advanced humour tecniques, such as 'irony', 'sarcasm', and werid shit'. If you are not qualified in any of these, it will be risky for you to attempt to decipher what he means. Just smile and carry on."
- PsyLiam; 16th June

Nim
The Aardvark asked for a dagger
Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Aban: I didn't say the two franchises were all alike because they were the same genre, I stated that there would be some similarities, I didn't delve into the structural details of the two products and I won't either, there has to be far more similarities between the two before I raise an eyebrow.

So, are there more details, other than the Watto-looking guy, one desert planet and a ship with...Star Wars Engines? What exactly is that?
Cylindrical and long, like an X-Wing? Or two blue dots, like on a Tie Fighter? Or big glowy yellow things, Star destroyer like?

--------------------
"I'm nigh-invulnerable when I'm blasting!"
Mel Gibson, X-Men

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Nim: I was agreeing with you [Smile] Just because the two series are both Sci-Fi doesn't mean they're necessarily going to be totally alike. But, as you said, there will, almost by necessity, be certain similarities from time to time.

--------------------
"Nu ani anqueatas"

Aban's Illustration
The Official Website of Shannon McRandle

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Open Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps