Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums
Topic Closed  Topic Closed
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » Other Television Shows » I just saw Aquisition (Page 1)

This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   
Author Topic: I just saw Aquisition
AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What the fuck was the point of that episode?

It fucked up Trek continuity (here I thought that one or two were going to see the Ferengi, and that no records were kept and SF command and the Vulcan high command wouldn't find out about any contact with them. Oh oh, they didn't say who they WERE - but seeing as we've had someone else MENTION the Ferengi, in the next 200 years I'm sure it wouldn't be TOO hard to piece together who they were... gah.

There was no story line. Basically the Ferengi came and trashed the ship, got oomax and left.

What happened to stories where the characters were central to the story and that they had to grow as a result of the interaction of a 'guest'/'intruder'. This was - if I recall a lot of the problems with fan scripts - people were just having races/ships/characters there for the sake of having them there. No wonder Trek doesn't accept fan/spec scripts anymore...

No character 'grew' or learnt anything in this episode (maybe Jeff Coomb's character - but that's not a recurring character/cast member)

The saving grace of this episode (as always)

PORTHOS!! Brilliant stuff from Porthos. (You had to love the translation bit [Smile] )

I'm guessing this was a bottle episode.

-All on the sets
-minor new effects
-no location
-reused props (The Ferengi Scanner was just a Ferengi PADD from DS9)
-I think they even reused some Ferengi noses and head-pieces. I'm sure I spotted Quark and Rom's nose there.

Andrew

--------------------
"Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica." - Jim Halpert. (The Office)

I'm LIZZING! - Liz Lemon (30 Rock)

Ryan McReynolds
Minor Deity
Member # 28

- posted      Profile for Ryan McReynolds     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I largely agree. I, too, thought that the Porthos part was the best bit of the episode. While I don't think the continuity pollution was ultimately too bad (after all, they could have done nothing to cover their asses), I think that "Acquisition" was one potential story that should have been left untold. Even if they were just dying to use the Ferengi, it could have been done better, and more logically.

--------------------
Enterprise: An Online Companion

"Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away." --Phillip K. Dick

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I don't think they could reuse the noses, could they? The insides wouldn't be fitted to the actor's noses. Seems it would be easier to make new ones than to try to alter the old ones.
Siegfried
Fullmetal Pompatus
Member # 29

- posted      Profile for Siegfried     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This episode was largely for that rabid sect of fandom that loves to see Conner Trineer in his underwear. Basically, my mother and my friend Stephen.

There wasn't much to the story, and I largely suspect that this was just a random filler episode like many of the Ferengi episodes on Deep Space Nine were. I'd like to say that maybe Archer would learn not to send weird objects to the engine room for study, but we've already seen this practice is still widespread in the 24th century.

--------------------
The philosopher's stone. Those who possess it are no longer bound by the laws of equivalent exchange in alchemy. They gain without sacrifice and create without equal exchange. We searched for it, and we found it.

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I suppose this will come across as callow DS9-bashing, but aside from "Business as Usual," this was probably one of the best Ferengi-centered episodes Star Trek has produced. Damming with faint praise, perhaps.

Also, let us not overlook the risky beginning, which I thought was cool.

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes I think they can reuse the noses (or they've just cast new noses from old casts... which would be the biggest 'task' in making the latex appliances.

Bit of Trivia, Quark's nose wasn't ready when DS9 began and for the pilot plus a few episodes Quark actually had Rom's nose!

OK, I know Ferengi are a love/hate thing but no series TNG, Voy and now Ent have done ONE Ferengi episode that comes CLOSE to the brill Ferengi episodes of DS9. Ferengi should stay with DS9 and no one else should attempt to 'play' with them. Look at that abomination of an episode "Repression" from Voyager. Ugh.

DS9 had fantastic Ferengi episodes...

I've noticed a lot of Americans didn't 'get' a lot of the Ferengi episodes - especially Profit and Lace - which I was psyched up to hate 'cause of the 'net but I absolutely LOVED!!

There WERE better Ferengi episodes, namely, yes "Business as Usual" and most importantly "Family Business". Oh and The Bar Association was a highlight of Season 4 (well apart from WotW, TaT and The Visitor.

--------------------
"Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica." - Jim Halpert. (The Office)

I'm LIZZING! - Liz Lemon (30 Rock)

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I tended to think that the early DS9 Ferengi episodes were the best. They were just the correct side of silly, wheras by the end they were just silly silly.

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

Cartman
just made by the Presbyterian Church
Member # 256

- posted      Profile for Cartman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The Ferengi are a wasted opportunity. Their only friggin' purpose is comic relief - which I suppose is fine, but after dozens of episodes portraying them as greedy / suspicious / stupid, it's getting a little tiresome.
PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I don't think "wasted" is the right term. After all, they tried them as villians, and that failed spectacularly.

I do agree with Andrew too. I was astounded at the amount of disgust and loathing that was thrown at "Profit and Lace". I found it fairly amusing myself, and didn't get what was so offensive about it at all.

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, now that we've finally torn away the last shred of evidence in support of the so-called comedic superiority of the Commonwealth, I hearby proclaim that no place with a queen can ever criticize American television ever again. No more complaints about our cultural hegemony. You've just lost that priviledge. Sorry.
PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

I think that there's something inherent to the British sense of humour that while we all like to be refined, ironic, witty, and so forth, we also can't help laughing at a man in woman's clothing.

I imagine it's the same gene that causes Americans to proclaim Seinfeld the funniest comedy ever.

--------------------

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

Presumably that quality is our taste, and the British lack thereof.

You have been bested by my recycled joke!

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think you've answered your own question about why people hate the episode. United States + transvestitism = unsuccessful. Except maybe The Rocky Horror Picture Show. But the people who liked that were watching it at 2:00 in the morning while taking various drugs.
bX
Stopped. Smelling flowers.
Member # 419

- posted      Profile for bX     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Lest we forget the Church Lady...

--------------------
"Nah. The 9th chevron is for changing the ringtone from "grindy-grindy chonk-chonk" to the theme tune to dallas." -Reverend42

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

Hm... Okay, then maybe it's just within the last fifteen years or so that transvestitism has become unfunny...
  This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   

Open Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps