Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums
Topic Closed  Topic Closed
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » Other Television Shows » I just saw Aquisition (Page 3)

This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   
Author Topic: I just saw Aquisition
Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Dukes of Hazard. YEE-HAW!
TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
"...a British accent sounds NOTHING like an Aussies!!!!!"

See, the problem is that they both sound more like each other than they do like American accents. I mean, we can claim all we want that the "standard" Canadian accent sounds nothing like the "standard" US accent, but someone outside North America is going to have a lot more trouble telling the difference.

That said, yes, I know the difference between an Australian accent and British ones. But they still sound very close to each other, relative to American accents.

"Oh and BTW, no Australian sounds anything like Steve Irwin."

What about Irwin himself?

"Just out of curiosity, what do you yanks believe to be the funniest show ever?"

My personal opinion? "Monty Python's Flying Circus". But I don't think I speak for the majority.

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think I can most of the time pick a Canadian accent... it has more of a twang to it.

There are of course several American 'accents' within America as well. The Southern, the West-Coast, the Central, the New Yorker, and the North-Eastern states.

--------------------
"Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica." - Jim Halpert. (The Office)

I'm LIZZING! - Liz Lemon (30 Rock)

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Steve Irwin has in the past two months gone from my most hated enemy, to the best person in the world ever. I will have no insults aimed at him!

quote:
My personal opinion? "Monty Python's Flying Circus". But I don't think I speak for the majority.

You really need to get some post-80s British comedies, don't you?

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

Wraith
Zen Riot Activist
Member # 779

- posted      Profile for Wraith     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sorry. Just been to the US and almost everyone thought I was an Australian. Not that I have any problem with being mistaken for an Aussie [Big Grin] .

--------------------
"I am an almost extinct breed, an old-fashioned gentleman, which means I can be a cast-iron son-of-a-bitch when it suits me." --Jubal Harshaw

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I hate it when American shows have an "Australian" character with some sort of wacked Cockney accent.

--------------------
"Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica." - Jim Halpert. (The Office)

I'm LIZZING! - Liz Lemon (30 Rock)

Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs
astronauts gotta get paid
Member # 239

- posted      Profile for Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Twang?
TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
"You really need to get some post-80s British comedies, don't you?"

Well, I've seen "Red Dwarf", of course. Other than that, there are two other ones that they show (or at least used to show) on PBS here, but they were pretty crappy. But, then, I don't know if they're generally representative or not.

Cartman
just made by the Presbyterian Church
Member # 256

- posted      Profile for Cartman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Pre-80s comedies were the best. 'Allo 'Allo and Red Dwarf were hilarious, but didn't even come close to the sheer brilliance of It Ain't Half Hot Mum, Are You Being Served, Fawlty Towers, Dad's Army... whereas the yanks had only one show worth mentioning, All In The Family. Later stuff, such as The Golden Girls and Perfect Strangers, never quite measured up to the standard AITF had set.

Ah, they don't make 'm like they used to.

Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Colorful Cartman:
All In The Family

. . . itself a remake of British show In Sickness and in Health. I think. If that's the show with Archie Bunker, anyway.

--------------------
Never mind the Phlox - Here's the Phase Pistols

Cartman
just made by the Presbyterian Church
Member # 256

- posted      Profile for Cartman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yup, it is. Never seen IS&IH though.
Omega
Some other beginning's end
Member # 91

- posted      Profile for Omega     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You know, I find it rather disturbing that for not having seen the show for eight years, and not having thought about it for most of that, I can still recall the vast majority of the words to the "Perfect Strangers" theme song...

--------------------
"This is why you people think I'm so unknowable. You don't listen!"
- God, "God, the Devil and Bob"

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Father Ted. Nuff said.

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

"...Are You Being Served..."

Actually, I think that one's on PBS sometimes, too. Never really checked it out, though.

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Honestly though, everyone who isn't suffering from a crippling headwound recognizes that The Simpsons is the funniest show of all time.
  This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   

Open Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps