Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums
Topic Closed  Topic Closed
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » Other Television Shows » Hull Plating? (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Hull Plating?
Grokca
Member # 722

- posted      Profile for Grokca     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Could this be the beginnings of Enterprise's plating?
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main.jhtml?xml=%2Fnews%2F2002%2F08%2F19%2Fnmod19.xml

--------------------
"and none of your usual boobery."
M. Burns

Siegfried
Fullmetal Pompatus
Member # 29

- posted      Profile for Siegfried     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Huh, that's pretty neat. Certainly seems like it shares some characteristics with Enterprise's polarized hull-plating.
EdipisReks
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
i always thought of enterprises polarized plating as being like a heavy duty SIF. by the way, that electric tank armor is friggin sweet.
IP: Logged
bX
Stopped. Smelling flowers.
Member # 419

- posted      Profile for bX     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
SIF?
Shik
Starship database: completed; History of Starfleet: done; website: probably never
Member # 343

- posted      Profile for Shik     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, SIF.

--------------------
"The French have a saying: 'mise en place'—keep everything in its fucking place!"

EdipisReks
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
no, SIF. you'll have to scroll down a little bit.
IP: Logged
MinutiaeMan
Living the Geeky Dream
Member # 444

- posted      Profile for MinutiaeMan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey, that's pretty interesting!

I don't know exactly where I read about it -- maybe Bernd's interview with Doug Drexler -- but the principle of polarized hull plating is that an electric current is channeled through this plating, and it hardens the plating to the point where it can sustain more damage from weaponry and other potential dangers. It's hardly perfect, of course, and the principle used for the tanks probably wouldn't translate directly to defense against energy beams, but the basic idea is the same. In fact, I'd bet that the tech guys on the staff originally came up with the idea based on reports of the real-world advances in the first place.

--------------------
“Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.” — Isaac Asimov
Star Trek Minutiae | Memory Alpha

Bernd
Guy from Old Europe
Member # 6

- posted      Profile for Bernd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The idea of hardening the material by applying a voltage comes from Andre Bormanis. I'm skeptical about this suggestion, for hardening would not really help against a beam or particle weapon which would burn the hull, rather than punch through it.
Nim
The Aardvark asked for a dagger
Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Then the Enterprise's hull in "The Undiscovered Country" must be Shit-worthless, not to mention its shields, to have a klingon torpedo pass its saucer section intact. Ha!

Of course, given that the initial torpedo-hit on Excelsior, who had fresh shields, made half the bridge-crew fly shrieking across the room, suggests the BoP had some sort of super-torpedos that could increase its mass and gravity a hundredfold upon impact, making for small battlerams.
Howsaboutit? A theory, at least.

--------------------
"I'm nigh-invulnerable when I'm blasting!"
Mel Gibson, X-Men

capped
I WAS IN THE FUTURE, IT WAS TOO LATE TO RSVP
Member # 709

- posted      Profile for capped     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think the problem was that some of the shielding needs a recognizable soure of fire to defend itself from. Basically, if they couldve seen the ship, thecrew or the ship's systems wouldve been able to shore up the danger area, provided it was at maximum efficiency. With the torpedoes coming unexpectedly from and unknown source, the automation and the crew weren't defending the hull. The Excelsior had full shields, but the ship couldn't compensate at all since it was a low blow.

--------------------
"Are you worried that your thoughts are not quite.. clear?"

Bernd
Guy from Old Europe
Member # 6

- posted      Profile for Bernd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sounds like a reasonable explanation that the shields would normally be enforced in a certain area from which a blow is expected.

But back to the "punch through" issue, I always thought that this scene from ST VI (as impressive as it looked) was never a realistic effect a torpedo should have. It should have exploded at the moment of the impact and should have torn apart half of the saucer. That torpedo was a dud.

Oh yes, and there was another scene, when the superphaser of the Enterprise-D went straight through the hulls of the Klingon ships. But that was just its superior power.

--------------------
Bernd Schneider

Ryan McReynolds
Minor Deity
Member # 28

- posted      Profile for Ryan McReynolds     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
As long as we're being realistic, he STVI torpedo should have blown way more than half the saucer... they're in the 50 megaton range. That's more than enough to level a small city, and no hull metal (even super, undiscovered metal) could withstand it. The only possible explanation is that the SIF is capable of not only reinforcing the hull, but of actually serving as a last-ditch gamma radiation shunt that absorbs the radiation and redirects it away... much like the shields, only weaker. Presumably it's just efficient enough to prevent total vaporization while letting some excess seep through to blow out the other side of the saucer. I submit that another hit or two would have destroyed the ship outright.

--------------------
Enterprise: An Online Companion

"Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away." --Phillip K. Dick

Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

- posted      Profile for Mark Nguyen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I was under the impression that Chang had deliberately reduced the yield in his torpedoes so he could torment Kirk and blather on with his quotations. He was super-confident in the ability of his fancy cloaking device, so why not have some fun while on your way to an all-out war?

Mark

--------------------
"This is my timey-wimey detector. Goes ding when there's stuff." - Doctor Who
The 404s - Improv Comedy | Mark's Starship Bridge Designs | Anime Alberta

capped
I WAS IN THE FUTURE, IT WAS TOO LATE TO RSVP
Member # 709

- posted      Profile for capped     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
i do it all the time on StarCraft.

--------------------
"Are you worried that your thoughts are not quite.. clear?"

Siegfried
Fullmetal Pompatus
Member # 29

- posted      Profile for Siegfried     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Toying with one's opponent doesn't seem to be a new thing with cocky Klingons. In Generations, Lursa and Be'tor seemed to take their sweet time before deciding to cripple the Enterprise-D by targeting the main bridge. The shots before that point seemed to be aimed at tormenting the Enterprise crew and at keeping the ship from running away. The novelization is more explicit in this matter.

--------------------
The philosopher's stone. Those who possess it are no longer bound by the laws of equivalent exchange in alchemy. They gain without sacrifice and create without equal exchange. We searched for it, and we found it.

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Open Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps