Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums
Topic Closed  Topic Closed
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » Other Television Shows » Hull Plating? (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Hull Plating?
Cartman
just made by the Presbyterian Church
Member # 256

- posted      Profile for Cartman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I always assumed L&B were *very* lousy shots, considering the E-D was pretty much a gigantic floating target with two extremely vulnerable areas (main bridge / deflector array).
Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

- posted      Profile for Reverend     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
The only possible explanation is that the SIF is capable of not only reinforcing the hull, but of actually serving as a last-ditch gamma radiation shunt that absorbs the radiation and redirects it away... much like the shields, only weaker.
I seam to recall Saavik mentioning defence fields being energised in TWoK, before the shields proper went up.

quote:
But back to the "punch through" issue, I always thought that this scene from ST VI (as impressive as it looked) was never a realistic effect a torpedo should have. It should have exploded at the moment of the impact and should have torn apart half of the saucer. That torpedo was a dud.
Wouldn't it be possible to configure a torpedo to produce a shaped explosion that focuses most of the energy forwards, rather than wasting the energy by letting most of it be deflected back into space with a standard spherical explosion?
This would be by far, a more tactically useful weapon, especially if your going for a kill shot.
Imagine the effect if such a hit blew clean through the secondary hull, it'd take out the cargo bay for a start and do some serious damage to the warp reactor system, maybe even take out the warp core itself.

It would be sort of like detonating a nuke at a specific altitude to get the maximum amount of destruction.

--------------------
Dark Knight Adventures & Batman Beyond:Stripped - DeviantArt Gallery
================================
...what we demand is a total absence of solid facts!

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Open Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps