Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums
Topic Closed  Topic Closed
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » Other Television Shows » Minefield stuff, thought about by me! And spoilers. (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Minefield stuff, thought about by me! And spoilers.
Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Some things:

Reed has some serious issues with regards to death. In this episode he tries to pass it off as just a near-mythic devotion to duty and honor, which would be believable, if he had let Tucker space himself back in "Shuttlepod One." But it seems the only one who "deserves" a heroic death is Reed. Nutty. And potentially dangerous. My suspicion is that there is more to it than just the story of his Great Uncle. But, we'll see.

Re: Romulans. Someone is lying, obviously, since even if Vulcan has no idea who the Romulans really are, they've fought at least one war with them post-Surak. But does T'Pol know? Probably not, since she didn't react upon seeing the ship, but did after hearing the name. But if the Vulcans have been fighting the Romulans, and your average Vulcan in the field has no idea contact has even been made, that suggests some serious cloak and dagger work. (Assuming that anyone remembers what is essentially a throwaway line from "Deathwish.")

Ryan McReynolds
Minor Deity
Member # 28

- posted      Profile for Ryan McReynolds     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I submit that the hundred-year war was that leading up to the Romulan exodus.

--------------------
Enterprise: An Online Companion

"Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away." --Phillip K. Dick

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I am bereft of all reference materials at the moment, but as I recall, there was some mention of the war, and a "Romulan Empress" no? Well, while there's hardly any canon information about the whole Reformation event, it seems hard to imagine Vulcan fighting the Romulan Empire before there was a Romulan Empire, or for said empire to form on Vulcan before leaving. But, as I said, it has been a long time since I've seen that particular episode, and I can't look it up.
Ryan McReynolds
Minor Deity
Member # 28

- posted      Profile for Ryan McReynolds     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The Romulan Empress was mentioned in a different Q episode, the one where he tries to sleep with Janeway. He says something about how he had his choice of various people (including said Empress) and chose her.

The hundred year war was mentioned in "Death Wish," with Q(uinn) responsible. I'm pretty sure they just said it was between the Vulcans and Romulans, without mentioning the existence of an Empire.

[ October 03, 2002, 18:39: Message edited by: Ryan McReynolds ]

--------------------
Enterprise: An Online Companion

"Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away." --Phillip K. Dick

Timo
Member # 245

- posted      Profile for Timo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Right. The "Empress" was from "The Q and the Grey", and might have referred to a figure from the distant future for all we know. It's the Q speaking, after all.

And the Vulcan-Romulan conflict could indeed have been pre-Surakian. Or, since we again are talking about the Q, it might have taken place in 2678-2769.

Timo Saloniemi

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It could have been a Tribal Empress from before the Romulans left Vulcan.

--------------------
"Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica." - Jim Halpert. (The Office)

I'm LIZZING! - Liz Lemon (30 Rock)

Ritten
A Terrible & Sick leek
Member # 417

- posted      Profile for Ritten     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Or, his truth was less than real....
AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Vulcan and Romulus seemed to have had over the years a number of rather highly visual/important females in their society. Could this indicate that Vulcanian society might be a Matriarchal one?

Romulan Empresses, Diplomats, Commanders
Vulcan Priestesses, Princesses, Sub-Commanders

--------------------

Timo
Member # 245

- posted      Profile for Timo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, apparently Sarek's family is described in patrilinear terms in ST3 - Skon and Solkar sound like male names. But that doesn't rule out matriarchal control of the society.

OTOH, there are prominent males as well as prominent females. Two out of three Kolinahr Masters were male. Sarek and Sokal are top-level male representatives of the Vulcan government. Many other assorted officials and military commanders are also male.

Timo Saloniemi

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

Compared to other 'societies' thought the Romulans and Vulcans do seem to have more women in positions of 'power' or 'influence'.

Compare them to say the Cardassians! I believe we've only ever seen one Cardassian female Gul... Gul Macet.

supposedly Klingon women aren't allowed to be on the high-council (although we have seen differently).

I think in most Romulan encounters in Trek we've seen a Woman.

Most notably in The Enterprise Incident, but even in things like The Die is Cast or Visionary. There has been a woman present. Even maybe compared to the Federation!!

--------------------

Doctor Jonas
Member # 481

- posted      Profile for Doctor Jonas     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You're forgetting that Cardassian Archon when O'Brien was put to trial.

IIRC, it was said during DS9's run that women are the cerebral ones in Cardassian society, thus more apt for scientific tasks. Being a society so 'devoted to duty', I reckon they have a strict labor division, then women are rare in the military, but more prominent in administrative/scientific tasks.

Dat
Huh?
Member # 302

- posted      Profile for Dat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I believe we've only ever seen one Cardassian female Gul... Gul Macet.
Gul Macet was the one who tortured Picard. (Or was it Madred?) Anyway, the one you're thinking of is Gul Ocett.

--------------------
Is it Friday yet?

Spike
Pathetic Vampire
Member # 322

- posted      Profile for Spike     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Gul Macet was the commander of the Trager, first Cardassian onscreen, and only Cardassian with a beard.

--------------------
"Never give up. And never, under any circumstances, no matter what - never face the facts." - Ruth Gordon

capped
I WAS IN THE FUTURE, IT WAS TOO LATE TO RSVP
Member # 709

- posted      Profile for capped     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Gul Ocett was the female

Gul Madred tortured Picard.

Gul Macet is Dukat's cousin, and features prominnetly in the new DS9 novels (which rock BTW)

--------------------
"Are you worried that your thoughts are not quite.. clear?"

Dat
Huh?
Member # 302

- posted      Profile for Dat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It would explain why those two looked eerily similar and were played by the same person. [Big Grin]

--------------------
Is it Friday yet?

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Open Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps