Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums
Topic Closed  Topic Closed
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » Other Television Shows » Tom's fashion report, m'kay... (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: Tom's fashion report, m'kay...
The_Tom
recently silent
Member # 38

- posted      Profile for The_Tom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've done some closer study of some of the costumes we see in the new promo, and after dropping screengrabs into photoshop and blasting color-levels to seventies levels I've managed to pick out a few things.

• Firstly, the uni's appear far richer in color than they did on ET. They're clearly that blue-verging-on-purple color we heard described earlier and look a lot less pajama-like. But that's just my take. I must admit I was pretty lukewarm to them at first but they're growing on me.

• The field jacket that we see Tucker in is almost certainly black leather. Along the usual below-shoulder line appears a department color stripe and above it is something greyish. Now, if you look at the Archer-playing-tonsil-hockey pics, he appears to be in a getup with these shimmery embroidered silvery thingoes on the shoulders and collar, which seems to line up roughly with where the grey is on Tucker's jacket. So I'm thinking they're the same jacket design. Indeed, the "snowstorm" pic with the phase pistol(?) kinda shows a similar texturing on everyone's shoulders and a gold stripe on Archer, but that's with a lot of squinting

• I'm pretty sure Hoshi's department color, is, lo and behold, purple. I tell you, there was a compact between Okuda Zimmerman and Blackman to stick it everywhere!

• T'Pol's costume, is to my eye anyway, remarkably Vulcanesque in aesthetic. The entire wrap thing does wonders.

Any further thoughts/refutations?

--------------------
    "I was surprised by the matter-of-factness of Kafka's narration, and the subtle humor present as a result." (Sizer 2005)

• Siegfried
    Fullmetal Pompatus
    Member # 29

- posted      Profile for Siegfried     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
    I got a question: have we figured out the rank insignia yet?

Other than that, I really do like the new uniforms. I wonder if it's a really leather or a fake leather jacket, though. And a purple department color? Essentially, it looks like it's breaking down to mustard gold for command, cranberry red for ship's services (namely engineering), and purple for communications. Sciece and medical will likely be blue, but we haven't seen a picture confirming it.

The_Tom
    recently silent
    Member # 38

- posted      Profile for The_Tom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
    My thinking has been that Sato's part of the Science Department on board, but medical could still be blue. If the palette has moved to encompass secondary colors, however, the liklihood of green or something else appearing certainly goes up.

As for the rank insignia, there's still a bit of cloudiness with the whole matter. They're clearly round, and are either silver or really glossy gold (a la TNG) and probably a little bigger than the previous rank pips. Now, Archer definitely has four, and Mayweather one, so that kinda points at a direct regurgitation of the TNG-era scheme (which incidentally is far more in-keeping with the current consensus on military insignia than TOS). However, the best I can tell from the video is that Tucker has two distinct and shiny pips, with the possibility still open that there could be some other less-apparent insignia with them. Now, depending on what source you read, he's either a Cmdr. or a Lt. Cmdr., and that doesn't bode well if there's indeed only two pips. Let's just hope he hasn't caught Tuvok syndrome.

--------------------
    "I was surprised by the matter-of-factness of Kafka's narration, and the subtle humor present as a result." (Sizer 2005)

The359
    The bitch is back
    Member # 37

- posted      Profile for The359     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
    He could have a black pip that can't be seen, which would be Lt. Cmdr. in TNG ranking.
    Siegfried
    Fullmetal Pompatus
    Member # 29

- posted      Profile for Siegfried     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
    Well, let's hope there isn't any instance of the O'Brien syndrome here as well, Tom.

I could see communications being moved to a part of the science department here, although I'd find it more logical for her to be under engineering or operations (like Uhura) or command (since it's a command-heavy feature like flight control). Add to that we haven't seen what color security is going to be popping in with, either.

And I agree that Archer is definitely wearing four pips on near his right breast. And while Tucker could have a black-ish pip, I really can't make out and signs that there is anymore than two pips on him. Eh, who know? We'll be finding out come September.

And I really do like T'Pol wraparound. Very elegant garb for her. It also looks to be a neutral grayish color with some something purplish or dark bluish near the collar. The later Trek series had the 47 conspiracy; Enterprise is going to have the purple conspiracy.

Lee
    I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
    Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
    Whatwhatwhatwhatwhatwhatwhat? You can see a weapon? Which pic?

--------------------
    Never mind the Phlox - Here's the Phase Pistols

Aban Rune
    Former ascended being
    Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
    Could someone post some screen grabs of the field jacket and T'Pol's wrap around? I've not seen this promo yet and...well...Aban's curious

--------------------
    "Nu ani anqueatas"

Aban's Illustration
    The Official Website of Shannon McRandle

KXZ
    Member # 119

- posted      Profile for KXZ     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
    Enterprise Online had screen shots of the entire promo yesterday, but for some reason it's offline today. Tripods' fault AGAIN!
    Siegfried
    Fullmetal Pompatus
    Member # 29

And another soul falls victim to the Great Tripod Massacre. Rest in peace, brave soldier.
    Siegfried
    Fullmetal Pompatus
    Member # 29

Over in another thread, TheF0rce posted a link to an mpeg of the promo. Now, I could clearly see the rank insignia on Archer and Tucker. It's definitely the TNG rank system, but it seems to be using silver squares instead of the gold circles. And Tucker is wearing three complete pips. As for T'Pol, oddly enough, the texture pattern on her wraparound looks vaguely like the silvery pattern on the Romulan military uniforms. She's wearing no Starfleet insignia whatsoever on her clothing, but the pin on her right collar looks vaguely like the IDIC symbol.
    The_Tom
    recently silent
    Member # 38

Some reasonably clear shots from http://www.trekenterprise.com :

Pips
    Hey, you're right, the pips are rectangles...

Jackets
    Tucker in field jacket. It would appear that the diamond embroidery not only covers the shoulders but also the body of the jacket. And now I'm thinking it mightn't be real leather but Anne Robinson-issue fake shit. The patch on the right arm is new, I think.

T'Pol 1 | T'Pol 2.

TrekEnterprise.com has no shots of the phase pistol, unfortunately. Sorry, Lee...

[ July 20, 2001: Message edited by: The_Tom ]

--------------------

Sol System
    two dollar pistol
    Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
    Jpegs are access forbidden!
    The_Tom
    recently silent
    Member # 38

Images uprooted and replanted @ hypermart, should work now...

--------------------

Aban Rune
    Former ascended being
    Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
    Much appreciated, lads. That field jacket looks half way decent.

Aban's secret of the day --- Anne Robinson is kind of good looking when she's not acting like a witch.

--------------------
    "Nu ani anqueatas"

Aban's Illustration
    The Official Website of Shannon McRandle

The_Tom
    recently silent
    Member # 38

Just found this at http://www.zap2it.com :

quote:
    A short clip from the series showed new form-fitting uniforms, with a small stripe across the chest and over the shoulders, with colors like purple and yellow and blue and green

A-speculating shall we go?

[ July 21, 2001: Message edited by: The_Tom ]

--------------------

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Open Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
     - Printer-friendly view of this topic
    Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps