Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » Gravity concerns about V'Ger (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Gravity concerns about V'Ger
Matrix
AMEAN McAvoy
Member # 376

- posted      Profile for Matrix     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This just popped in my head while reading the thread "Size of 'mushroom' starbases"

Since V'ger is about the size of Earth's orbit around the sun (or distance?) shouldn't V'Ger have some sort of gavity well? Every object has a sort of gravity well. I imagine that V'ger being composed of mostly forcefields and other weird late 1970's crap, it wouldn't be as large as if were solid, but still. Wouldn't this cause some sort of desruction on Earth and neighboring planets? V'Ger probably had some of the planets practically inside of it.

------------------
Predict the unpredictable, but how do you unpredict the unpredictable?

Ritten
A Terrible & Sick leek
Member # 417

- posted      Profile for Ritten     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
ummmm, yeah, wasn't that why Terra had all those storms and what not happening?

------------------
"One's ethics are determined by what we do when no one is looking" Nugget
Star Trek: Gamma Quadrant
Star Trek: Legacy
Read them, rate them, got money, film them

"...and I remain on the far side of crazy, I remain the mortal enemy of man, no hundred dollar cure will save me..." WoV

Dukhat
Hater of Stock Footage
Member # 341

- posted      Profile for Dukhat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
IIRC, V'ger's surrounding cloud was 1 AU, not V'ger itself. Also, the cloud dissipated before it reached the solar system, so no damage would have occurred (except for the destruction of Earth, but that would have been caused by V'ger's probes).

------------------

Fabrux
Epic Member
Member # 71

- posted      Profile for Fabrux     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
V'Ger's cloud was actually 82 AUs in diameter. That's one big fraggin' cloud.

------------------
"Lately I've noticed that everyone seems to trust me. It's really quite unnerving. I'm still trying to get used to it."
- Garak, "Empok Nor"

Michael Dracon
aka: NightWing or Altair
Member # 4

- posted      Profile for Michael Dracon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's ONLY 2 AUs larger than Pluto's orbit. Lucky for our solarsystem that the cloud was turned off.

------------------
"That's your plan? Wile E. Coyote would come up with a better plan than that!"
- Crighton, Farscape.

Nim
The Aardvark asked for a dagger
Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't remember seeing V'Ger without the cloud... Is it just about the size out to the door that Spock rocketed through?

------------------
Here lies a toppled god,
His fall was not a small one.
We did but build his pedestal,
A narrow and a tall one.

-Tleilaxu Epigram

Fabrux
Epic Member
Member # 71

- posted      Profile for Fabrux     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I would assume that the whole thing the E travelled through up to that point was V'Ger...

------------------
"Lately I've noticed that everyone seems to trust me. It's really quite unnerving. I'm still trying to get used to it."
- Garak, "Empok Nor"

[This message has been edited by Fabrux (edited January 31, 2001).]

Dukhat
Hater of Stock Footage
Member # 341

- posted      Profile for Dukhat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
I don't remember seeing V'Ger without the cloud

When V'ger reaches Earth, you can see Earth above V'ger's yellow dome-thingy when it shoots out it's probes. No cloud.

------------------

Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

- posted      Profile for Mark Nguyen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
...And lots of stars. I believe some storyboards also showed this. Anyway, why would they need a cloud anyway? So that they could pretend it's a really big, really fast nebula? I mean, V'Ger obviously had no real problems getting from there to here...

Mark

------------------
"Why build one, when you can build two at twice the price?"

- Carl Sagan, "Contact"

The359
The bitch is back
Member # 37

- posted      Profile for The359     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Maybe it was part of it's drive system

------------------
Me: "Why don't you live in Hong Kong?"
Rachel Roberts: "Hong Kong? Nah. Oh, but we can live in China! Yeah, China has great Chinese food!"

(discussion with fellow classmate, 9/5/00)

Mustang Class Starship Development Project

Ritten
A Terrible & Sick leek
Member # 417

- posted      Profile for Ritten     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Pig Pen of the Stars....

------------------
"One's ethics are determined by what we do when no one is looking" Nugget
Star Trek: Gamma Quadrant
Read them, rate them, got money, film them

"...and I remain on the far side of crazy, I remain the mortal enemy of man, no hundred dollar cure will save me..." WoV

Nim
The Aardvark asked for a dagger
Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'll check out the yellow dome-thingy, thank you.

------------------
Here lies a toppled god,
His fall was not a small one.
We did but build his pedestal,
A narrow and a tall one.

-Tleilaxu Epigram

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The impression seemed to be that the cloud was part of the ship's defensive system, and perhaps its offensive one as well. Maybe even the sensors.

------------------
I will shout until they know what I mean.
--
Neutral Milk Hotel
Read three (three!) chapters of "Dirk Tungsten in...The Disappearing Planet"! Then, go insane!

Basill
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sorry, this is going to be a long post. Bear with me.

V'gers cloud was 82 AU's in diameter while it was extant, but it is clear from the climactic Decker/V'ger merging scene that the V'ger construct was probably no longer than 25-30 kilometers in length.
It requires watching the entire flyover scene and the order in which the details pass. The Enterprise passes from the rear of V'ger towards the front and then is pulled into the giant maw at the front of the vessel. They then are pulled deep into the Alien craft. They are pulled to a certain point where they remain for many hours. After Kirk's poker bluff they are pulled even deeper into the craft to meet with V'ger. Right before the Enterprise comes to rest Chief Defalco (Ilia's replacement navigator) states "we are 18 km inside the alien vessel." (This is in at least one of the released versions, therefore I consider it canon.) The Enterprise comes to a halt within walking distance to the Voyager probe. The final climactic light show takes place directly under the cool, glowey broken-patterned, dome; a specific detail that is close to the end of the vessel (early in the flyby). If anyone has the book-Star Trek Phase II: The Lost Series, in the glossy pictures section there are various V'ger concept drawings. pics 2 and 3 are both unquestionably the closest to the final design that I have ever seen. The details along the surface are clearly identifiable with the flyover sequence. If any one wants to post scans please do (I don't have any such equipment, sorry cause its really cool.)

------------------
Just a thought...A grain of salt-season to taste-lather, rinse, repeat

IP: Logged
Michael Dracon
aka: NightWing or Altair
Member # 4

- posted      Profile for Michael Dracon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm going to check what Kirk said about the length...

------------------
"That's your plan? Wile E. Coyote would come up with a better plan than that!"
- Crighton, Farscape.

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps