Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » Class XII Phasers (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Class XII Phasers
Toadkiller
Member # 425

- posted      Profile for Toadkiller     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Simple question. Despite countless web sites to contrary, do we have any evidence at all that the E-E's phasers are "class XII" or anything more powerful than the E-D's?

I could buy increased rate of fire (although I don't think we'd have proof of that either).

------------------
TK

Shik
Starship database: completed; History of Starfleet: done; website: probably never
Member # 343

- posted      Profile for Shik     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Based on the fact that Type XI are planetary arrays, I never thought or bought into the idea that Sovereigns & uprated ships had "Type XII" arrays. Instead, I assigned them the (purely conjectural) rating of "Type X-A" (yes, that's "10-A"), making them seem like an upgrade of the Type Xs different enough to warrant a special designation, but not so different as to fiddle with the "set scale."

------------------
"You just push off....and the falling sort of happens on its own." ---Dave Titus

Ritten
A Terrible & Sick leek
Member # 417

- posted      Profile for Ritten     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't recall anything on screen about phaser arrays, but the E-D TM has planetary arrays listed as Type X+.

How 'new' technology does the Federation have now, with Borg, Dominion, and Breen equipment and ships in custody or bits and pieces floating about the old battle space? Enhanced phasers, polaron weapons, increased shield technologies and all the rest. The older items that can be improved would vastly improve combat capabilities.

------------------
"One's ethics are determined by what we do when no one is looking" Nugget
Star Trek: Gamma Quadrant
Star Trek: Legacy
Read them, rate them, got money, film them

"...and I remain on the far side of crazy, I remain the mortal enemy of man, no hundred dollar cure will save me..." WoV

[This message has been edited by Ritten (edited February 05, 2001).]

Shik
Starship database: completed; History of Starfleet: done; website: probably never
Member # 343

- posted      Profile for Shik     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That was "Type X+" only for security reasons. DS9TM states that the station has "a newer version of the type-11 planetary defense emitter" in its inventory. These are the "phaser bars" that rose up on bricks.

------------------
"You just push off....and the falling sort of happens on its own." ---Dave Titus

The359
The bitch is back
Member # 37

- posted      Profile for The359     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I still don't see why people don't recognize that the TYPE # (represented as a Roman Numeral) denote the SIZE of the phaser array. This is so very clear in Trek from the days of TOS until now.

Type I would be the smallest phaser, the little "cricket" phaser used on TOS as well as early TNG, but now no longer used (as far as we know)

Type II would be the normal phaser, used on TOS, later redesigned for TNG, and the same basic design still used on DS9 and VGR. This has been refered to specifically as TYPE II in some episodes

Type III would be the infamous phaser rifle, used back in TOS in one episode, then later used in multiple forms on TNG, DS9, and VGR. These also have been referred to as TYPE III on screen.

Type IV would be phasers used on shuttlecraft, as seen on TNG (and maybe on DS9, VGR, I dunno). Again, TYPE IV has been said on screen.

Notice the pattern? They keep getting bigger as they grow.

Type V - Type IX have not been mentioned at all during any of Trek I don't believe.

Type X is used on Galaxy class starships. Since the Galaxy class is the largest class in the Federation, it would use the largest phasers it was able to handle. This is mentioned in the TNG Tech Manual

Type X+ (In other words, any number ABOVE 10) would be phasers used on starbases, since usually starbases are larger then Galaxy class starships (and therefore would be able to handle larger phasers). We know that DS9, a rather large station, uses Type XI phaser arrays in some arrays, and I'd be willing extremly large mushroom starbases may use something larger then Type XI.

Now, why would you believe a Sovereign class would be carrying Type XII? Those phasers would be WAY too big for the ship, seeing as how a Sovereign is smaller then a Galaxy. If you think that Sovereign is using more advanced phasers, so be it, but the TYPE designation doesn't refer to the advancements in phaser technology. Something more along the lines of the term MARK (Mk.) would be used to refer to advancements in the technology, though these Mark numbers have never been said on screen. Therefore, a Type X Mk. V phaser is newer then a Type X Mk. IV, yet they are the same size.

Therefore, I believe Sovereigns actually carry either Type IX or X phasers, but these phasers are still highly advanced.

Grr...

------------------
"No, 3 & 6 are mandatory, so you only have to do them if you want"

Alex, fellow classmate, trying to explain an assignment (2/2/01)

Timo
Member # 245

- posted      Profile for Timo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, there was a verbal reference to type 8 being aboard some of the Maquis ships in "Journey's End", and a pictorial reference (the MSD display from "Generations") to type 8 being the main armament of the Enterprise-B.

One thing puzzles me. How does one establish the "size" of a phaser strip? Both the short and long strips of the E-D were supposedly type X. The DS9 TM speaks of type 10 point emitters (the Constitution variant), type 10 strips (the Galaxy and Nebula ones, as well as the teeny weeny Sabre ones) and type 10 invisible emitters (the Norway class).

I agree that type probably refers to the relative strength of the weapon, i.e. how "heavy" it is. The physical appearance of the weapon is a different matter - say, type 5 weapons could come in pedestal-mounted, striplike shipboard, point-emitter-shipboard and even shoulder-held variants.

Timo Saloniemi

Hobbes
 Homicidal Psycho Jungle Cat 
Member # 138

- posted      Profile for Hobbes     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
IIRC the DS9TM states the Ambassador-class uses Type-IX.

------------------
"You win again gravity" - Capt Zap Brannigan.
Federation Starship Datalink: Brand new look, fresh minty scent, same great taste!

Nim
The Aardvark asked for a dagger
Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't think the Norway class has a strip in the nose, more like a node. It's the most unaesthetically designed and least detailed FC-ship, it could perhaps be older than the Galaxy class.

------------------
Here lies a toppled god,
His fall was not a small one.
We did but build his pedestal,
A narrow and a tall one.

-Tleilaxu Epigram

Timo
Member # 245

- posted      Profile for Timo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Norway doesn't strike me as an operational ship type at all. It lacks what we would consider "mission gear". It just sort of sits there. No shuttlebays, no visible weapons, no sensor ports, nothing bu a few windows and those mysterious brown dorsal hatches similar to the Defiant ones.

My guess is that the Norway class comprises a grand total of two vessels - the Norway and the Budapest. Both are propulsion testbeds, with those fancy "sliding" variable-geometry nacelles, and are kept at Utopia Planitia for further testing. The Budapest just happened to have a phaser emitter installed (possibly another experiment), and was called to assist in the battle.

Timo Saloniemi

colin
Member # 217

- posted      Profile for colin         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
In the episode "Unnatural Selection", the U.S.S. Lantree is listed as having type 3 defensive weapons. Just thought you might like to know.

One other note I would like to add. I have seen the ship specifications in the DS9TM and on various web pages. I am surprised at how similiar the specifications are for each ship. I would think that the classes would have varied performance and weapon capabilities based on their primary missions.
This is supported by canonical Trek.

Now, according to the DS9TM, the Norway has the same firing ability, here I am referring to the Type 10 emitters, as the Galaxy. I would think that the Norway would have less firing ability as she is not a front line ship, is used in the core systems of the Federation, and has less powerful generators than a Galaxy. (I don't remember in First Contact seeing a Norway firing weapons. I could be wrong. I did see a Norway or Norways supporting the other ships.) I would have thought that the Norway might have a lower firing ability.

One last point. In "Equinox", there is a stated rule mentioned by Capt. Janeway for starships. In a tactical situation, the most powerful ship of two is to be the lead ship. If ships have relatively similiar specifications, wouldn't this rule be difficult to maintain in a tactical situation?
------------------

takeoffs are optional; landings are mandatory

[This message has been edited by targetemployee (edited February 06, 2001).]

Spike
Pathetic Vampire
Member # 322

- posted      Profile for Spike     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
My guess is that the Norway class comprises a grand total of two vessels

But there were more than 2 Norways in FC.

------------------
"Second star to the right, and then straight on till morning."

colin
Member # 217

- posted      Profile for colin         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Fitz,

Unless a list is published by IL&M, we will never know the exact number of each class-the Akira, the Norway, the Sabre, or the Streamrunner. We can say safely that there is one Sovereign, two Mirandas, one Defiant, and one Nebula. I don't add into this the Oberth. A 'blob' of moving light in the far background can be interpretated by anyone to be anything that anyone choses it to be.

------------------

takeoffs are optional; landings are mandatory

Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think it's commonly-accepted wisdom that the DS9TM specs are total bullshit. . .

------------------
"I rather strongly disagree, even if I share the love of Dick. Speaking of which, that would be the most embarrasing .sig quote ever, so never use it."

- Simon Sizer, 23/01/2001

Spike
Pathetic Vampire
Member # 322

- posted      Profile for Spike     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
I don't remember in First Contact seeing a Norway firing weapons

There's one scene with a phaser-firing Norway, a Saber, and the Thunderchild.

------------------
"Second star to the right, and then straight on till morning."

Psi'a Meese
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Regarding the Type X phaser, as referenced in the NGTM:

"...the main ship's phaser's are rated as Type X, the largest emitters available for starship use. Individual emitter segments are capable of firing 5.1 megawatts."

"The Galaxy class supports twelve phasar arrays in two sizes."

The second size of emitter is never established in that or any other publication that I am aware of. IMO, its safe to assume it is 'smaller' or of less rated performance than that of the Type X.

"A typical larger phaser array aboard the USS Enterprise, such as the upper dorsal array of the Saucer Module, consists of 200 emitter segments..."

How many emmitter segments are in the various other arrays of this class of starship? I sat down with a friend's copy of the Galaxy class blueprints last year. Lets just say I got a headache and decided it wasn't all that important.

The topic at hand I believe, was can we establish the existence of the Type XII emitter? So far the answer appears to be NO.

I refer to most of _The359's_ concept of listing emitter types. I perceive emitter's mentioned in episode's, movies, or tech manuals (published by well-established publishing house's) as canon information.

On a side note: I enjoy the DS9 Technical Manual insofar as anything regarding the space station itself. Section 14.1, Starfleet Stategic Forces had me running for the 'porcelain goddess' and I choose to skip over comments on boards regarding those 'facts' when I view them.

See also my comments I will post on the "Next Generation Officer's Manual" thread. Purrrr....

[This message has been edited by Psi'a Meese (edited February 07, 2001).]

IP: Logged
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps