Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » Class XII Phasers (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Class XII Phasers
Cartman
just made by the Presbyterian Church
Member # 256

- posted      Profile for Cartman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So, each phaser ring in the E-D's saucer has a total output of... 1 gigawatt... that does not strike me as a hugely powerful weapon (consider the fact that the ship was said to generate "12,75 billion/trillion gigawatts per..." (the episode in which the new soliton wave propulsion thingy was tested); one gigawatt seems a bit pale in comparison...

------------------
"Cry havoc and let's slip the dogs of Evil"

Antagonist
Member # 484

- posted      Profile for Antagonist     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I wish I could post the picture, much less even FIND it, but I believe I remember seeing a Norway firing a cluster of torpedoes as well. Oh well, irrelevent info now.

While we are discussing the output of the Galaxy phasers, I'd like to agree, that a 1gW weapon is relatively weak, compared to alien weapons, such as the Roluman Warbird, which was theorized to emit a 20gW distruptor blast. While a Ferangi Maurader emitted 500mW "electro plasma waves" at he Galaxy. I quote these from the Spacecraft Tactical Maneuvers in the TNG-TM (Pg.127).

In comparison, the puny 5.1mW output of the Galaxy phasers are like poking a toothpick at a charging rhino! The only significant weapon I have seen thus far are the Defiant phaser cannons, which are on par with the Fernagi's weapon output (assuming that the output is 500mW as I have assumed all along).

------------------
"Evil takes many forms, but my favorite is a jelly donut."

Psi'a Meese
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Purrrr....

Gee, ya think 5.2 mw is bad? Get this, from pg 82 of the DS-9 tech manual:

"The type-10 emitter segments each direct 4.8 mw, and control algorithms allow multiple segments to combine beam energies of up to six segments."

Seems by the time the type-X emitter, same as used on the Galaxy-class, was applied to DS-9 the power output got worse...hmmm

It goes on to say that the 'strips' of 6 emitters were 'used'. Having been "obtained from Soyuz-class starships nearing the end of their operational lifetimes." Oh, well...blooper. According to TNG, 'Cause and Effect', Soyuz-class starships were retired in 2288-before phaser strips even existed.

IP: Logged
Psi'a Meese
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Purrr...

I recall something from DS-9 (homefront?). Purrr... The Excelsior class carried Type-8 or 9 phaser emitters...?

IP: Logged
Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I just went through the battle scene in FC, and didn't see a Norway firing torps at all. . .unless it was in one of the long shots (on the Enterprise's holo-screen - why DID they get rid of that?) and so small I couldn't see it.

Can anyone confirm you see ships of this class:

1. Going behind the cube as the Enterprise saves the Defiant.
2. Above the cube, view from the holoscreen after Data reports the power grid fluctuations.
3. Near the cube as Picard order the fleet to fire (not sure about this one).
4. Firing phasers (Akira and Sabre on either side fire torps).
5. Swerving to avoid the explosion.

------------------
"I rather strongly disagree, even if I share the love of Dick. Speaking of which, that would be the most embarrasing .sig quote ever, so never use it."

- Simon Sizer, 23/01/2001

Spike
Pathetic Vampire
Member # 322

- posted      Profile for Spike     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
1. Going behind the cube as the Enterprise saves the Defiant.
http://www.8ung.at/fitz/sonstiges/norway1.jpg

quote:
2. Above the cube, view from the holoscreen after Data reports the power grid fluctuations.
http://www.8ung.at/fitz/sonstiges/norway2.jpg

quote:
3. Near the cube as Picard order the fleet to fire (not sure about this one).
http://www.8ung.at/fitz/sonstiges/norway3.jpg
http://www.8ung.at/fitz/sonstiges/norway4.jpg

quote:
4. Firing phasers (Akira and Sabre on either side fire torps).
http://www.8ung.at/fitz/sonstiges/norway5.jpg

quote:
5. Swerving to avoid the explosion.
http://www.8ung.at/fitz/sonstiges/norway6.jpg

------------------
"Second star to the right, and then straight on till morning."

[This message has been edited by Fitz (edited February 11, 2001).]

Nim
The Aardvark asked for a dagger
Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Never knew there were THAT many in every scene... Albeit the same ones.
Well, since it seems to be the most enduring ship against the Borg (of the "FC"-ships) it may not be a crappy design after all...

------------------
Here lies a toppled god,
His fall was not a small one.
We did but build his pedestal,
A narrow and a tall one.

-Tleilaxu Epigram

Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My GOD! Those screencaps are gorgeous! What do use to get them?

------------------
"I rather strongly disagree, even if I share the love of Dick. Speaking of which, that would be the most embarrasing .sig quote ever, so never use it."

- Simon Sizer, 23/01/2001

Spike
Pathetic Vampire
Member # 322

- posted      Profile for Spike     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A DVD-drive.

------------------
"Second star to the right, and then straight on till morning."

[This message has been edited by Fitz (edited February 11, 2001).]

colin
Member # 217

- posted      Profile for colin         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There are two Norways and both survive the battle. And only one fired weapons during the recorded portion of the battle. When the ships were not firing weapons, what were they doing to assist the fleet?

I feel that of the four new classes, the Norway is the least defined. The screencaps provide few clues as to the shape of the Norway. The Norway is seen as a distant moving shape or, very briefly, from the side.
Could the indifference seen in the later Trek productions toward this class begin with this movie?

From what I have seen, the artists at IL&M were very receptive toward the Akira Class. This class is the most defined of the four, and we are even able to read the registry of one of the ships.

------------------

takeoffs are optional; landings are mandatory

MinutiaeMan
Living the Geeky Dream
Member # 444

- posted      Profile for MinutiaeMan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Re: the Type-XII phasers.

I've got the Enterprise-E cutaway poster, with specs listed in the corner. It's not necessarily canon, but it's got the Paramount logo on it and all that, so it's a fair bet that they're Type-XII.

------------------
You know, you really should keep a personal log. Why bore others needlessly?
The Gigantic Collection of Star Trek Minutiae

The359
The bitch is back
Member # 37

- posted      Profile for The359     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes, that might be all well and good, except Paramount puts its logo on EVERYTHING Star Trek, so that doesn't make it any more official.

------------------
"No, 3 & 6 are mandatory, so you only have to do them if you want"

Alex, fellow classmate, trying to explain an assignment (2/2/01)

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Maybe the Norway is akin to a tank... heavily armored... a penetrator?

------------------
"This is cooling, faster than I can..." Tori Amos "Cooling"

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps