Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » Ships Named Enterprise... (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Ships Named Enterprise...
Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Okay, couple quick questions here, free of course to be debated about.

1) When Starfleet loses the USS Enterprise NCC-1701-Z, will they commission a new Enterprise? They might decide to "retire" the name. Also, if they do, are they going to have the NCC-1701-A1 or -AA or give her a new registry?

2) Is it possible the Enterprise -1701 is not the first Starfleet starship to carry the name? Fairly reliable information hints that Series V will feature a ship named Enterprise, and I'd be willing to speculate that it won't be the TOS Enterprise we all know and love, which means that either ...

a) It's an Earth ship named Enterprise, and Starfleet has not yet been formed.

b) The Enterprise in TOS is actually the SECOND ship to feature the name, but has a different registry.

3) Does Starfleet go through ships as fast as they seem to go through Enterprises? I mean, we're on the sixth Enterprise ... is it just me, or do these ships seem to have a rather high rate of loss? Granted, we don't know when the Enterprise-B was lost (or how), but if we know when the E-C was launched, we can at least pinpoint about when the E-B was destroyed/lost/decomissioned ...

Okay, I'm done rambling now.

------------------
Star Trek Gamma Quadrant
Average Rated 6.27 out of 10 Smileys by Fabrux (with four eps posted)
"Oh, yes, screw logic, let's go for a theory with no evidence!"
-Forum Member Who Shall Be Nameless. 11:48am, Jan. 19th, 2001

Saltah'na
Chinese Canadian, or 75% Commie Bastard.
Member # 33

- posted      Profile for Saltah'na     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Again about Starships. Two threads in one day. *shrug*

------------------
"My Name is Elmer Fudd, Millionaire. I own a Mansion and a Yacht."
Psychiatrist: "Again."

Nim
The Aardvark asked for a dagger
Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I hope series V will feature Ent-B. It's doable, the actors are ok, the ship is extra fine. And no stupid teen-crew either, unless 1701-B was the only Enterprise dedicated to training cadets...

It's like SW:Ep I, we know what happened before and after 1701-B, but not during.

I think the need or interest in resurrecting the name Enterprise will be gone by Ent-G. Of course, if Trek dies after the last series and the last TNG-film, Ent-E will be the last Enterprise... Quite interesting actually, Star Wars and Star Trek are both phenomena not previously encountered in the history of entertainment, so we have nothing to compare to.

------------------
Here lies a toppled god,
His fall was not a small one.
We did but build his pedestal,
A narrow and a tall one.

-Tleilaxu Epigram

Matrix
AMEAN McAvoy
Member # 376

- posted      Profile for Matrix     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
However with SW Episode 1, it was a shitty, merchandising kiddy video to give Lucas more money.

With the E-B thought, it would not be like that unless they put in a teen crew and has a big battle every two minutes

------------------
Predict the unpredictable, but how do you unpredict the unpredictable?

Dukhat
Hater of Stock Footage
Member # 341

- posted      Profile for Dukhat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I too think a series set not long after Kirk's death could be doable. We could see events that were only spoken of in the past tense before, such as the Tomed Incident.

------------------
Star Trek: Legacy

warbird5
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think I'm a minority on this one but I would like the series to be set after TNG, DS9, and Voyager. I don't know how far after but i would prefer it to be afterwards.
IP: Logged
PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Now, I don't normally mind when thread's go off topic, but come on. It was off topic with the first reply. You wanna talk about the new series, go to that tread. Be polite to Jeff.

That said...

There WA a space ship prior to the TOS Enterprise (and after the space shuttle). Decker shows five pcitures to robot-Ilia on the wall of the rec-room in TMP. One is of an unknown ship (it was either the fifth, or, if the 1701 was the fifth, it was the forth.) Anyone have a good screen-cap, or do we have to wait for the DVD?

Also, 6 in over 130 years isn't that bad, really. The Enterprise-A and D really let the side down though.

[This message has been edited by PsyLiam (edited February 18, 2001).]

Saltah'na
Chinese Canadian, or 75% Commie Bastard.
Member # 33

- posted      Profile for Saltah'na     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Regarding Enterprise-Z: Remember that the Enterprise is treated by the writers as a "special ship". No two ships that have the same name EVER have the same registry as the Enterprise (or the Defiant for that matter). Ship AAAA can have Registry X, get blown to smithereens, rebuilt as a ship in a different class, but given Registry Y. But X != Y!!!!

Point being? This is pretty much a moot aspect, given that the Enterprise is the only ship allowed to have letters. No other ship will ever have this problem.

------------------
"My Name is Elmer Fudd, Millionaire. I own a Mansion and a Yacht."
Psychiatrist: "Again."

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, it's just a question ...

Will an Enterprise after the Enterprise-Z keep the 1701 prefix or not?

------------------
Star Trek Gamma Quadrant
-Omega 11:48am, Jan. 19th, 2001
"The candidate who slimed John McCain in the primaries and smeared Al Gore in the general election is now the president who pledges to elevate the nation's tone and bring civility to our discorse. Kind of like Michael Corleone brought peace to the mob by killing the heads of the other four families."
--Paul Begala, Is Our Children Learning?

Dukhat
Hater of Stock Footage
Member # 341

- posted      Profile for Dukhat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I always found it amusing that the ship in TNG was the Enterprise-D, when most of the other Excelsior class sister ships of the Enterprise-B (Hood, Potemkin, Intrepid, Farragut, possibly Republic, etc.) were still around. And now there's an Enterprise-E. With each Enterprise's track record for getting destroyed in a relatively short span of time, I certainly wouldn't want to serve on her!

Maybe we'll see JeffKarrde's Enterprise-Z sooner than you think...

warbird: I'd prefer to have the new series set after Voyager et. al as well, but if there *has* to be a prequel, I'd rather it be set at the end of the 23rd century instead of the 22nd.
------------------
Star Trek: Legacy

[This message has been edited by Dukhat (edited February 19, 2001).]

Spike
Pathetic Vampire
Member # 322

- posted      Profile for Spike     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
the Enterprise is the only ship allowed to have letters.

The Relativity had a letter too.

------------------
"Second star to the right, and then straight on till morning."

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It wasn't real.

------------------
"And Mojo was hurt and I would have kissed his little boo boo but then I realized he was a BAD monkey so I KICKED HIM IN HIS FACE!"
-Bubbles

Spike
Pathetic Vampire
Member # 322

- posted      Profile for Spike     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
It wasn't real.

Why not?

------------------
"Second star to the right, and then straight on till morning."

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

Because.

------------------
Star Trek Gamma Quadrant
-Omega 11:48am, Jan. 19th, 2001
"The candidate who slimed John McCain in the primaries and smeared Al Gore in the general election is now the president who pledges to elevate the nation's tone and bring civility to our discorse. Kind of like Michael Corleone brought peace to the mob by killing the heads of the other four families."
--Paul Begala, Is Our Children Learning?

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Denial is a powerful thing, isn't it? *L*

------------------
My new year's resolution is the same as last year's: 1024x768.

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps