Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » Best of Both World's? (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: Best of Both World's?
[email protected]
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It has been stated that the Starship Melbourne wasn't identified as an Excelsior class ship until the first episode of DS9(Emissary).
I'd like to know why it took so long to do this when the Melbourne was seen on screen with the Enterprise-D at New Providence Colony on Star Date 43992.6? The first episode of Best of Both World's.

JDW

------------------

IP: Logged
Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't think the ship seen with the Enterprise was ever identified as the Melbourne. She very well could've been, but I don't think that was ever established.

------------------
"You don't tug on Superman's cape.
You don't spit into the wind.
You don't pull the mask off the ole' Lone Ranger
And you don't mess around with Jim."
Aban's Illustration www.alanfore.com

Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

- posted      Profile for Mark Nguyen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It wasn't. Ever. In dialogue or on screen. Trust us. We. Know.

The footage of the Excelsior-class ship seen in the episode was stock footage of the USS Repulse, NCC-2544 (first seen in "The Child" at the beginning of the second season). This footage is often combined with the stock footage of the USS Hood (NCC-42296, first seen in "Encounter at Farpoint" at the beginning of the first season), to represent almost every Excelsior class ship EVER seen in TNG. With the Exception of "Redemption Part II" (and possibly "Unification Part II", I don't think the Excelsior model was used for anything else in the whole series except for those two recycled shots.

The producers siffed up the model for use in "Generations", and it was only ever used once after that, for "Paradise Lost" (DS9). Chalk it up to Voyager to create that nifty new Excelsior model so we can see it again in new shots ["Flashback" (VOY), "For the Uniform" (DS9), et. al.] and ultimately in CGI for DS9.

Mark

------------------
"Why build one, when you can have two at twice the price?"

- Carl Sagan, "Contact"

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think the first time we heard that the Admiral was on board the Melbourne was later on in the two parter. It's a good theory though. Maybe that's one of the reasons that Excelsior was there with the Ent D. Since Riker had been offered the command...

------------------

Dukhat
Hater of Stock Footage
Member # 341

- posted      Profile for Dukhat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There's absolutely no way that there could have been dialogue indicating that the Excelsior seen at the beginning of "BoBW PtI" was the Melbourne. At the time, the kitbashed Nebula was the definitive Melbourne.

Of course, the whole scene was vague enough so that we can now *presume* that that Excelsior WAS the Melbourne, and that Hanson was on it when it was destroyed. But that was not the original intention.

------------------
Star Trek: Legacy

[email protected]
Ex-Member

If you guys will go back and look at the early part of the first episode of "Best of Both Worlds" you'll clearly hear Captain Picard state in his Captain's Log that Admiral Hansen & Commander Shelby from Starfleet Tactical had joined the Enterprise.
Now after some discussion in Picard's ready room Riker & Shelby leave the room Hansen tell's Picard that Shelby would make a hell of a First Officer.
Here's the knot you've got to untie before you convince me that there was a Nebula class starship named MELBOURNE!
Picard asked Hansen which ship was offered to Riker and Hansen said "The Melbourne".
This is just a theory but say Hansen had the Melbourne meet the Enterprise to transfer both Riker & Shelby to their respective ships had Riker taken the center seat!

JDW

Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs
astronauts gotta get paid
Member # 239

- posted      Profile for Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"Nebula class starship named MELBOURNE!"

Canonically, there isn't one. So, you don't need to be convinced.

------------------
"...screw logic, let's go for a theory with no evidence!" - Omega.

Irony ensues.

Free Jeff K

Timo
Member # 245

- posted      Profile for Timo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Or, to be anal-retentively accurate, a Nebula (or similar-looking) class ship with the name Melbourne on it was seen briefly on screen ("canonized") in "BoBW", but the resolution at which it was shot precluded the reading of the name. If one wants to maintain that this ship really and "canonically" was named the Melbourne, one might have to accept that another ship in the shot was named the Alka-selsior...

Timo Saloniemi

DARKSTAR
Ex-Member

The ship seen at the beginning of BOBW was the Melbourne and that Hanson had the ship meet the Enterprise D at the New Providence Colony so Riker and Shelby could beam over and have a look at each ship. There where Riker got the line"She isn't the Enterprise". This means he beamed over had a look around and wasn't impressed with what he saw. This also means that the ship needed a refit as Riker thought she wasn't as good as the Enterprise.
Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

Hanson: "He's not going to turn down another command?"
Picard: "One's available?"
Hanson: "The Melbourne. It's his if he wants it."

This does not by any means prove that the Excelsior class Hanson arrived on was the Melbourne. But in retrospect, as I said way up there, now that we *know* the Melbourne to be an Excelsior, she probably was.

------------------

Nim
The Aardvark asked for a dagger
Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Here we go again. I don't give a flying fuck if there was some obscure reference in the Graveyard-scene, that took place AFTER the famed early dialogue in Part I. And if the scriptwriters wanted us to think Hanson DIDN'T refer to the Excelsior ship he came in, they would've made him say, "My own ship, the Melbourne, is available." Or, "I hear the Melbourne is available."
But he didn't. And when he said his piece, I immediately thought of that ship riding next to the Enterprise, so clear was his disposition.

That's the last thing I will ever say in the matter. What others think is not my concern.

------------------
Here lies a toppled god,
His fall was not a small one.
We did but build his pedestal,
A narrow and a tall one.

-Tleilaxu Epigram

Member # 239

- posted      Profile for Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The lack of literacy of some people is amazing. I can spot, one, two - no, three good reasons why the Excelsior isn't definitively the Melbourne, yet simply because in Emissary, we found out it was an Excelsior, they automatically are adamant and sure about this BOBW Excelsior.

This is becoming as redundant as gun threads in the Flameboard.

------------------

Irony ensues.

Free Jeff K

[This message has been edited by Ultra Magnus (edited February 22, 2001).]

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yup. You can say now all you want that the Melbourne was an Excelsior class, and most people will agree. However, they will also realise that, at the time of BoBW, the designers intented for the Melbourne to be Nebula class.

------------------
"And Mojo was hurt and I would have kissed his little boo boo but then I realized he was a BAD monkey so I KICKED HIM IN HIS FACE!"
-Bubbles

Nim
The Aardvark asked for a dagger
Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ah, but the road to hell is paved with good intentions! And turnips!

[This message has been edited by Nimrod (edited February 22, 2001).]

Member # 239

That's TWO! Get in the gutter!

------------------

Irony ensues.

Free Jeff K

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps