Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » Maps of Naval Battles? (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Maps of Naval Battles?
Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

- posted      Profile for Mark Nguyen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Anyone know any sites with maps of naval battles as they progressed and stuff? I've been doing a Google search with a few results. Like these:

http://british-forces.com/world_war2/Campaigns/north_cape.jpg http://british-forces.com/world_war2/Campaigns/bismarck1.jpg

Aren't these neat? And (hint hint) wouldn't it be great if we could eventually work up something like this for some of Starfleet's historical engagements? Like Wolf 359, for example?

Mark

------------------
"Why build one, when you can have two at twice the price?"

- Carl Sagan, "Contact"

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What's to map? Starships line up near Wolf 359, starships are quickly vaporized near Wolf 359. The end.

------------------
I will shout until they know what I mean.
--
Neutral Milk Hotel
Read three (three!) chapters of "Dirk Tungsten in...The Disappearing Planet"! Then, go insane!

MinutiaeMan
Living the Geeky Dream
Member # 444

- posted      Profile for MinutiaeMan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've been working on a few maps like that to go along with my History of the Earth-Romulan War that I've been working on with Masao.

At the moment I've only got one finished, the attack on Station Salem One. (In my timeline, that's the E-R War equivalent of Pearl Harbor.)
http://www.st-minutiae.com/academy/history162/map4-1.jpg

I'm also working on some for the Battle of Hell's Gate and the Battle of Cheron, and maybe a few more if I have the inspiration.

------------------
You know, you really should keep a personal log. Why bore others needlessly?
The Gigantic Collection of Star Trek Minutiae

Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

- posted      Profile for Mark Nguyen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sol: Well, the ships obviously attacked in several waves (re: "Emissary"). I'd like to map those waves, possible formations of the ships (see my post on the Wolf 359 Graveyard), tactics, used, etc. I mean, you can't just say that "six ships engaged the Bismarck and one was destroyed before the Bismarck was sunk", can you?

Mark

------------------

- Carl Sagan, "Contact"

Gaseous Anomaly
Member # 114

- posted      Profile for Gaseous Anomaly     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
MinutiaeMan: Shit hot. In the word of everyone's favorite punching bag: GREAT IDEA!!

gonna read it later though

------------------
At that point, McDonald fired his gun three times in the air to emphasize his point. The crowd, estimated at 350,000, loudly cheered the new candidate.

"Let me make this clear: I am the law! I am your ruler! And you will have fries with that, motherf*cker!"

Nim
The Aardvark asked for a dagger
Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well since the method of displaying ship distances in Trek is out-the-fucking-window (ships at five hundred thousand kilometres distance are spotted with the naked eye), a map showing the courses of the ships would be oh so hard to ascertain. A location of the battle, yes, a direct display of turns and twists, doubtful.

------------------
You can't kill me, I'm charming!

MinutiaeMan
Living the Geeky Dream
Member # 444

- posted      Profile for MinutiaeMan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes, but Masao and I are working on different principles (for the Earth-Romulan War, anyway). He started with the idea of warp-capable missiles with a range of up to 5 AU or more. Combine that with the use of ship formations rather than individual ships, and the map will work reasonably well.

------------------

Treknophyle
Member # 509

- posted      Profile for Treknophyle     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Nice idea! I assume you will be using Director/Shockwave? If you need help with conceptualization, advise.

Have you thought of using a perspective grid, ribbon paths for the ships, and simple rotating arrows for the ships themselves (which then have "pop-up" screens to show actual ship engagements). I could propably help with the grid itself (see my galaxy map grids), to achieve a Starfleet look - al'a TCARS.

------------------
Faster than light - no left or right.

MinutiaeMan
Living the Geeky Dream
Member # 444

Woah... that's a lot more than I could handle! I'm strictly a 2-D guy. Would be nice to have stuff like that, but I really can't handle anything like that.

Though if anyone else wanted to try... I'm working on a detailed account of the Battle of Hell's Gate right now, and I hope to get it finished in the next few days. If anyone would like to try a 3-D map of the battle, that would be great!

------------------

Treknophyle
Member # 509

- posted      Profile for Treknophyle     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
1: What is the Battle of Hell's Gate?
2: With a properly designed grid, this would be a 2d project. I will send a grid when it is finished.

------------------

MinutiaeMan
Living the Geeky Dream
Member # 444

The Battle of Hell's Gate is one of the battles during the Earth-Romulan War. Masao and I have been working on a thorough story for months. It was the biggest battle of the war -- supposed to be a major Romulan offensive into the heart of United Earth territory, but things went wrong and the UE destroyed pretty much the entire fleet, and the rest of the Romulan ships self-destructed.

You can read more about this stuff here: http://www.starfleet-museum.org/ http://www.st-minutiae.com/academy/history162/romulan.htm

------------------

Daniel
Member # 453

- posted      Profile for Daniel     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Erm, just a comment. If you want to get real nitpicky, space battles should be mapped in 3D since, well, space is three dimensional. Sorry to be a spoil-sport.

[This message has been edited by Daniel (edited March 14, 2001).]

NeghVar
Member # 62

- posted      Profile for NeghVar     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just my thoughts...

Most 99.5% of Star Trek combat takes place in the same relative two-dimensional plane...does this not make 3D battle maps not really necessary?

Frankly, I would rather have cool 2D maps, than confusing 3D maps.

Art

Erm, just a comment. If you want to get real nitpicky, space battles should be mapped in 3D since, well, space is three dimensional. Sorry to be a spoil-sport.

------------------
Spoken in Klingon, with a distinct Scottish accent:
"If it's not Klingon...It's crap!"

Treknophyle
Member # 509

Mark:
I am emailing you my concept. Since the background TCARS is still confidential, please do not post.

------------------

Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

David: Got it. Will reply soon.

Mark

------------------

- Carl Sagan, "Contact"

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps