Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » Star Trek: The Magazine #24 and other info (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Star Trek: The Magazine #24 and other info
The359
The bitch is back
Member # 37

- posted      Profile for The359     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
OK, this thread is just going to be a bunch of useless info.

1) Watching First Contact on DVD, and I turned on the closed captioning, and I found a ship that some of us might have had confused. On my starship list, I have a USS Manson commanded by a Captain Luxby, which was apparently heard in the comm chatter. Well, in closed captioning, after they mention the Lexington (and it says Lexington, not Lexicon), there is a line that says this "LUXI: This is Commander Luxi on the Madison..." Therefore, we have a USS Madison, not USS Manson

2) On the information pages on Miranda variants, four ships are shown. The Reliant, the Brattain, the Bozeman, and the Saratoga (31911). Now, the first problem I notice is that all 4 diagrams have the nacelles having the front, rounded grill as being red, like a Bussard Collector. Second, the Brattain appears to have the wrong diagram again. She has the roll-bar, but she also has that little block on the side of the nacelle, which is similar to the thing on the Saratoga. Is these supposed to be there or not? Also, the Brattain lacks any windows whatsoever. Unfortunatly, the next page they show a screenshot and the ship clearly has all the windows a regular Miranda should have. Now, the Bozeman also has some problems. The little probes that stick out of the sensor dome are missing, the add-ons to the impulse engine area are missing, and so is the bottom pod! The Saratoga then also appears normal.

3) In the article on Eden FX, they show a book that is supposed to contain all the FX shots of ships and stations and other stuff. First off, where can I get this book?! Now, besides that, they show an actual page from the book, and it's the CGI Model of the Prometheus. On it, it says the Prometheus has a length of 414 meters. I don't seem to remember that being the same length that everyone else uses for the ship, so I dunno. Also included on this page is a PHONE NUMBER for Digital Muse. Anyone care to call and see if they can get their hands on those books?!

Anywho, I think that's it. BTW, love the new cover design for the magazine!

------------------
"No, 3 & 6 are mandatory, so you only have to do them if you want"

Alex, fellow classmate, trying to explain an assignment (2/2/01)

Jim Phelps
watches Voyager AFTER 51030
Member # 102

- posted      Profile for Jim Phelps     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Don't know about the other stuff, but the length is right on the money. According to Rick Sternbach who designed the ship, the Prometheus is 1360 feet (414.528 meters) long and has 16 decks. [source: startrek.expertforum.ricksternbach newsgroup].

Boris

------------------
I'm not the Boris Skrbic on the Grafitti Wall website

USS Vanguard
i hate clowns
Member # 130

- posted      Profile for USS Vanguard     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Madison? hmm, i like that name bettter than Manson

------------------
"You put the geeks on the left and the stalkers on the right and you run for daylight up the middle"
- William Shatner, discussing a Star Trek Convention on EW-

TheF0rce
Member # 533

- posted      Profile for TheF0rce     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
coolies
can anyone scan some of the miranda pics please

The359
The bitch is back
Member # 37

- posted      Profile for The359     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I could if I could find the damn Flare Uploader!

------------------

Balapoel
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sure, 359:

(1) go to: http://flareupload.hypermart.net/psupload.htm

(2) click "browse"

(3) locate your file on your C drive in the window

(4) click "upload"

That's it.

Ben

------------------
Ripley: When we throw the switches, how long before the ship blows?
Parker: Ten minutes.
Ripley: No bullshit?
Parker: If we ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space.

Alien (1979)

IP: Logged
The359
The bitch is back
Member # 37

I know how to use it, I just forgot the URL...

Anywho, here it is:

------------------

Fabrux
Epic Member
Member # 71

- posted      Profile for Fabrux     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That's what bookmarks are for, my dear boy!

------------------
"Lately I've noticed that everyone seems to trust me. It's really quite unnerving. I'm still trying to get used to it."
- Garak, "Empok Nor"

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
They've definately missed the prongs off the bottom and the sides of the Bozeman...

------------------
"Yar, a lesbian? That girl had a sex drive! First, Data in Naked Now, then, in
Hide and Q, she hits on Picard! "Oh, if only you weren't the captain..." God! If
Denise Crosby hadn't left the series, she'd've slept with the entire senior staff by
now!" Jeff Kardde - March 7, 2001

Dat
Huh?
Member # 302

- posted      Profile for Dat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Bozeman's is almost always messed up in these drawings. People often forget that the Bozeman is different in these regards:

1. Different bridge module which is almost the same as the one that was almost used on the refit model for ST1.
2. The lower sensor dome area is much enlarged to look like the bridge module.
3. There are sensor spikes extending from the lower sensor dome.
4. Big Cargo bay extensions on the back of the model.
5. Sensor pods connected to the areas where the nacelle pylons connect with the ship.
6. Sensor pod connected on top of the cargo bay extensions.
7. Sensor pod connected to the bottom of the cargo bay extensions.

------------------
[Bart's looking for his dog.]
Groundskeeper Willy: Yeah, I bought your mutt - and I 'ate 'im! [Bart gasps.] I 'ate 'is little face, I 'ate 'is guts, and I 'ate the way 'e's always barkin'! So I gave 'im to the church.
Bart: Ohhh, I see... you HATE him, so you gave him to the church.
Groundskeeper Willy: Aye. I also 'ate the mess he left on me rug. [Bart stares.] Ya heard me!

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Did the Bra/ittain have a rollbar? If so, it shouldn't be any different than the Reliant. If not, it was the Lantree-type, which they totally left off...

------------------
"...I know this board in secret, intimate ways which are beyond your comprehension.... Let's just say that people should *not* be telling me what to do; it should always be the other way around."
-"Red Quacker", conspiracy theorist and contemporary lunatic

The359
The bitch is back
Member # 37

Brattain definatly had a roll-bar, they show a screenshot of the ship on the next page. Unfortunatly, the sh ip is slightly in a shadow so we can't see if that little boxy thing is on the side of the nacelle or not.

------------------

TheF0rce
Member # 533

- posted      Profile for TheF0rce     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
did anyone see that little red bussard collector onscreen?
The359
The bitch is back
Member # 37

I believe the Mirandas during the Dominion War (the CGI models) had somewhat of a red tint on the front of the nacelles, but I haven't seen that anywhere else.

------------------

Matrix
AMEAN McAvoy
Member # 376

- posted      Profile for Matrix     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Perhaps they were upgraded?

How come everyone else in the world gets that magazine before I do!

------------------
Signature for sale! For a mere price of $20 per letter you get this wonderful little space to say your own things. Get it now while there's still space!

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps